intel or AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vensanga

Journeyman
in my place most of the people go for the intel processor and not the AMD processor..can u guys tell wats the basic difference and what will be the better one in the same prices in value for money and performance..

my budget will be around 5k..

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
ur budget constraints is very important. Coz if u want high end, then nothin to beat Corei7. If u want budget quads then X4 is the way to go.
Also P2 920/940 are gr8 mid range quads.

Gowt1ham

Gowt1ham
I am tied.

920 and 940 are not exactly cheap. If their prices fall at least 2k it could be a deal. But their combination of proccy + MB is FAR FARbetter than intel combination. (Intel mobo are damn costly and featureless, I hate Intel for giving nothing for such High Cost)

Here is the comparison of the amd vs intel proccy and all benchmarks u can imagine of.

*www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,31.html

The proccy they used frm AMD is Phenom 1.
phenom 2 perform max 15% better than Phenom 1 and use less power.

Intel is better in perfomance, AMD is better in Value.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^+1, u r right...for AMD u can get a gud mobo for 5k. but for intel u hav to spend at least 10k to get a feature rich P45 mobo

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Intel for sheer computing power. AMD for VFM.

Even in the past when AMD was faster and cheaper, many users chose Intel simply because Intel was the more prominent brand; that is, they'd seen and heard more of Intel.

Since the introduction of Core 2, Intel took the lead in raw power, but is generally more expensive. As others have said, the choice depends on your budget constraints and performance target.

For example, compare the Intel i7 920 and AMD Phenom II X4 920. Broadly speaking, the Intel 920 is faster by about 20%, but costs several thousand rupees more. Moreover, a matching motherboard based on the X58 chipset is still quite expensive and uses the faster but more expensive DDR3 RAM. The total difference in system price can be quite high.

Personally speaking, since I'm neither a rich hard-core gamer nor a video editing professional, it doesn't make sense for me to spend that extra 10-20k to gain a few fps in gaming or a couple of minutes while rendering a large movie file. I consider the money better spent on a gfx card, more RAM, hard disk, external storage, etc. etc.

But that's just me. Others will have their own priorities and values.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
i think most of the performance issues wont only depend on cpu and wont make difference in real time use.. excluding high profile audio-video editing and some specific games.. so cost is much importance . it is good idea to stick with AMD and invest to other components.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Value for money: AMD
Performance: Intel

'Performance' only counts when you are out to buy the best processor in the world. But at reasonable price points, an AMD will usually beat a competing Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom