Intel E7400 temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Hi..

My E7400 idles at around 58-60C. During game load it hits 90C..Is this all right..??

Am using stock cooling. No overclock. Though when I placed the stock heat sink on the processor, it had some thermal paste from the factory. Which looked quite crappy and inadequate to me, but I still installed it. (Was in a rush to get the rig up).

Now should I:

1. Re-apply the stock cooling unit -- but apply better thermal paste prior to that.
2. Get a after market cooler (since the stock one looks like a piece of sh**** tin).

Though what bother me about option (2) is: Will have to dismantle the whole rig, remove the motherboard --- to get the after market cooler back holding clip on. (The one that goes behind the motherboard)

How have others experience been using the stock Intel coolers specially for the C2D series..?? I really feel the quality has gone down. Cause of this, have not done any OC'ing as of yet...!!!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hi..

My E7400 idles at around 58-60C. During game load it hits 90C..Is this all right..??

Am using stock cooling. No overclock. Though when I placed the stock heat sink on the processor, it had some thermal paste from the factory. Which looked quite crappy and inadequate to me, but I still installed it. (Was in a rush to get the rig up).

Now should I:

1. Re-apply the stock cooling unit -- but apply better thermal paste prior to that.
2. Get a after market cooler (since the stock one looks like a piece of sh**** tin).

Though what bother me about option (2) is: Will have to dismantle the whole rig, remove the motherboard --- to get the after market cooler back holding clip on. (The one that goes behind the motherboard)

I am using the same proccy. Mine idles at around 45 C and at load it hits a max of 65 C. Ofcourse C2Ds were meant to run hot but not so hotter like yours. My suggestions would be dismatle the stock cooler , apply thermal paste and place the stock cooler firmly. And also check whether the cooler sits very tight. Coz once my cooler didnt sit properly and mine idles at 70 C and at load it gives a BSOD. So do what i suggest or get a new aftermarket cooler like Core Contact Freezer or OCZ Vendetta. But the first option is the perfect solution for your problem AFAIK and i am sure with that as i experienced it before as like you.

How have others experience been using the stock Intel coolers specially for the C2D series..?? I really feel the quality has gone down. Cause of this, have not done any OC'ing as of yet...!!!

Ofcourse the quality has gone down to hell. They just forgot to make the good ones. May be the tie-up with AMD in making such poor stock coolers. :D

But i have two C2D PCs , one is E7400 for which i gave the temps with the stock coolers and esp the E7400 is OCed one.

The second one is E6600 @ 3GHz idles at 38 C and hit a avg of 54C at load. So they were not so bad like AMD's. But still it lost its charm due to the latest crappy design.

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I am using the same proccy. Mine idles at around 45 C and at load it hits a max of 65 C. Ofcourse C2Ds were meant to run hot but not so hotter like yours. My suggestions would be dismatle the stock cooler , apply thermal paste and place the stock cooler firmly. And also check whether the cooler sits very tight. Coz once my cooler didnt sit properly and mine idles at 70 C and at load it gives a BSOD.

yes..thanks. Will try this weekend.

surinder

Tech addict
No, these temps are way higher then normal and there is no harm to try your first option. BTW While applying fresh layer of thermal compound just make sure there is no air baubles formed and heat sink sits firmly on the processor.

maldyzooks

Broken In
lint free cloth with some pure isopropyl alcohol i guess.

i just clean mine with a regular damp cloth.

also dont forget to wash the heat sink after removing the fan...

my 4yr old prescott runs at a charming 50-55 idle to 65 load on the crappy semi-broken stock heatsink .

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
lint free cloth with some pure isopropyl alcohol i guess.

i just clean mine with a regular damp cloth.

also dont forget to wash the heat sink after removing the fan...

my 4yr old prescott runs at a charming 50-55 idle to 65 load on the crappy semi-broken stock heatsink .

You mean literally hold it under running water...or dust it out...obviously --- after removing the fan assembly..??

surinder

Tech addict
You mean literally hold it under running water...or dust it out...obviously --- after removing the fan assembly..??
Yes sure you can don't hesitate there will nothing left after removing the fan assembly which can be damaged from water. Water pressure can help to get rid of sticky dust deep in the fins of heat sink.

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Just played like 20 mins of Warhead with CoreTemp (logging enabled) running...and the core is reaching temperaturs of 99C...........!

Bad bad..!...Better apply some thermal compound and reseat the heatsink..!

Hope I have not damaged the processor..damn..! Its not even a month old yet.. :(

jeetu

Broken In
Before going overboard. Check you temp agan with an open cbinet. It may very well be a vewntilation issue. A descent rear and side fan can reduce CPU temp by quiet a bit.

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Before going overboard. Check you temp agan with an open cbinet. It may very well be a vewntilation issue. A descent rear and side fan can reduce CPU temp by quiet a bit.

Have 6 cabinet fans..system is cool...!

CPU is over heating.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Too many fans can also increase the temps depending on where you placed them how much cfm of air they push in/out. If you placed fans in such a way that it pushes out fresh air as soon as it comes it- there ya go. Bad psu is also responsible for increase in temps but that's not the case with you. Bad cable management creates issues as well. Maybe the heatsink is not seated properly. Try using better thermal pastes like tx-2 since the syringe cost 150-175.

On the other side of the news, Msi neo-f p45, msi eclipse boards, etc. are reported to have IOH becoming hot and shutting down when it touches 70-80 degrees celcius on load- idles around 60 degree celcius which affects the airflow with the heatsink as well. Many msi boards using propriety mounting for their northbridge and mosfets- so getting an aftermarket cooler for that is out of the question unless you find a way to mount them yourself. Other than that, note down the s-spec of the intel's processor from the box and google for it. See if there any reports of temp issue of this s-spec model.

Not sure which model- most probably neo-f but surely p45 and x58. You get far better better boards than msi but for some reason TDF prefers msi but have no1 have done any technical backing. The samples that reviewers get are engineering samples which is always better than the retail one and usually many of them dont test under a closed pc case condition to monitor temps.

Chances are there that the TIM used in the northbridge/south and mosfets are of inferior quality- I would recommend changing that as well. Also if you are checking the temperatures using msi's software- you are better off with real temp for 45nm processor or using HW monitor. Google and download them. Update the BIOS as well as at times temperature sensor instructions need to be corrected- depending on the board and bios.

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Too many fans can also increase the temps depending on where you placed them how much cfm of air they push in/out. If you placed fans in such a way that it pushes out fresh air as soon as it comes it- there ya go. Bad psu is also responsible for increase in temps but that's not the case with you. Bad cable management creates issues as well. Maybe the heatsink is not seated properly. Try using better thermal pastes like tx-2 since the syringe cost 150-175.

On the other side of the news, Msi neo-f p45, msi eclipse boards, etc. are reported to have IOH becoming hot and shutting down when it touches 70-80 degrees celcius on load- idles around 60 degree celcius which affects the airflow with the heatsink as well. Many msi boards using propriety mounting for their northbridge and mosfets- so getting an aftermarket cooler for that is out of the question unless you find a way to mount them yourself. Other than that, note down the s-spec of the intel's processor from the box and google for it. See if there any reports of temp issue of this s-spec model.

Not sure which model- most probably neo-f but surely p45 and x58. You get far better better boards than msi but for some reason TDF prefers msi but have no1 have done any technical backing. The samples that reviewers get are engineering samples which is always better than the retail one and usually many of them dont test under a closed pc case condition to monitor temps.

Chances are there that the TIM used in the northbridge/south and mosfets are of inferior quality- I would recommend changing that as well. Also if you are checking the temperatures using msi's software- you are better off with real temp for 45nm processor or using HW monitor. Google and download them. Update the BIOS as well as at times temperature sensor instructions need to be corrected- depending on the board and bios.

Am using everest for temperature monitoring..To check the CPU I also used CoreTemp and checked the .CSV file log. The way my fans are set up..it has three intake and three exhast..so that issue is taken care off. There is not much cabling hampering the air flow also.

I also checked my temperatures using Realtemp and tested it with Prime95. As soon as the stress started...it shot up to 99C...I freaked out..and stopped the test from giong the whole way....My MSI P45 Platinum has the latest bios also..!

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Well I ran one Blend Test from RealTemp (was sh** scared and bitting my nails)..below is the screenshot...after cooldown and it reaches idle..!

*img366.imageshack.us/img366/8681/cputest.jpg

See at 51% load (thats how far Blend Test would take it), the differential to TJMAX(100C)....!.Also Idle is very high.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ As I said, change the TIM on the processor, northbridge and southbridge chips. Use tx-2. Clean the old thermalpaste using isopropyl alcohol with above 90% alcohol content- and nothing else.

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
ya did that..but only on the cpu heat sink..temperatures..seem decent..even on full load..it does not go beyond 82C..!.

thanks to all..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom