Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 75 degree Celsius

koushikvij

Right off the assembly line
Hi

I own Intel Core2Quad Q6600 with Asus P5KPL-CM Mobo, 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, 500 GB HDD and MSI Geforce 9400GT 1 GB Graphics card. My cabinet has two side fans which blow in air and one back fan which blows out hot air. The SMPS i use is Zebronics 400W Platinum series.

In idle state the CPU core temperature is 66 degree Celsius and i just opened solitaire the temperature shoots to 75 degree Celsius. The CPU fan's RPM stays at 1200(+or- 30). As discussed in other threads it doesn't touch 2800 or 3500 RPM. I gave my PC to a technician and he changed the power regulator and checked the heat sink. Still the problem persists. Now iam afraid to switch ON the system

Sorry for posting a new thread. I thought that my problem is unique for this kinda processor.

Please help me ASAP :(

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
ssb1551, please post in coherent english. Thanks.

@OP:
How old is your system, and when was the last time that the heat sink assembly was re-mounted. 66C is quite high for the Q6600. Any OC..?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Dude "coherent" means marked by an orderly, logical n consistent relation of parts e.g coherent argument,coherent essay.I posted "Dija try to change d thermal compound?" its a coherent complete sentence.I didn't type half sentence n d usage of tense is correct too as per my knowledge.So wat exactly wuja like me to change abt it?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
ssb1551, thanks for explaining the meaning of 'coherent' to me. But your post#2 in this thread makes no sense and is 'incoherent' grammar. We try to not post in sms / chat lingo. Looks highly unprofessional and/or juvenile. I am not forcing you to do this, but if you want to make a mockery out of yourself, which you will realize when a)People ignore you b)Treat you like a pariah, c)Make fun of you. Then please continue with this behavior.

You may choose which of the below you qualified for. Best.

incoherent [ˌɪnkəʊˈhɪərənt]
adj
1. lacking in clarity or organization; disordered
2. unable to express oneself clearly; inarticulate
3. (Physics / General Physics) Physics (of two or more waves) having the same frequency but not the same phase incoherent light
incoherence , incoherency, incoherentness n
incoherently adv

ssb1551

Technomancer
Dude I know wat "incoherent" means.But this is wat u typed in post#3 of this thread :
"ssb1551, please post in coherent english. Thanks."
n sry I dun wanna give d link to d meanin of coherent as everybody knows wat it means!
n dija even think b4 postin d copied meanings of "incoherent"?
1. lacking in clarity or organization; disordered - post#2 is a properly ordered n organized sentence buddy!!I dunno how u found it disordered:C_surprised:!!
2. unable to express oneself clearly; inarticulate - I think any1 cn understand wat I meant to ask!!"Dija try to change d thermal compound?" I mean who wudn't get it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wud hv concurred wid ya if u had asked me to type d complete words for e.g "the" instead of "d" or "about" instead of "abt".It doesn't bother me much as long as I'm able to help ppl,aint tht d reason we joined TDF at 1st place?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, I'm surely appreciative of your intention to help everyone at TDF. :) But the thing is, we have taken a stand against excessive slang language. You are a regular poster, and this is why we've warned you. Upto some extent it is fine, but I was myself left wondering about "Dija." If you were on mobile, we understand that and we can figure it out. But when you have a keyboard in front, it is the best to avoid it. Our rules clearly state that.

PS: We are very lenient here, moderators on other forums actually go for infractions + bans straight away.

And let's prevent any further offtopic discussion here and get back to the OP's problem.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Agree with asingh on this. There are currently 2.1 lakh words in English, and 47k obsolete words with around 9.5k derivative words & beats me why we still are trying to discover new ones. SMS lingo should stay inside an SMS. If it continues this way, I don't see any harm in removing some of the keys from my keyboard.

ssb1551

Technomancer
k guys..from now on its gonna be "did you" instead of "dija" n others too!!
But where has OP disappeared?:D

pegasus

Journeyman
koushik- does the heatsink feel warm/hot when touched?
A Q6600 G0 may touch 75C at times under load on the stock cooler, especially if dusty and in a warm ambient room temperature of 30-35C or so maybe.
Please check if the heatsink fins are not choked with dust, if you haven't already.
There maybe a possibility of improper contact between the processor and the heatsink.
Please check if all pushpins on the stock cooler are properly locked into place (sometimes it may not be locked/"clicked" in properly or sometimes one may loosen out)
Will it be possible for you to reseat the heatsink with some fresh thermal paste and recheck?

Last edited:
OP
koushikvij

koushikvij

I checked my thermal compound just a week back and cleaned the heat sink for the same reason... But i still couldn't figure it out... Now the explorer.exe itself is taking 100% CPU utilization even in idle state

ssb1551

Technomancer
I think you should try installing a fresh copy of OS.But before that use a proper antivirus & scan your system to remove viruses.

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
^^ ? r u serious ??? what does that has to do with high temps ?
nyways... @ OP : First let us know the stepping&Revision of your Q6600.

Mine is Q6600 With G0 stepping but mine barely touches 70 deg when i OC it to 3.2Ghz + at load... but... reason for that is i m using Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU cooler... still 70 degs is way too high....

Also tell me which software u used to get the temp...
Coz CPUs have 2 temp diodes on die...

tJunction(max) is 100 degs
and tCase(max) is 75 degs..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I checked my thermal compound just a week back and cleaned the heat sink for the same reason... But i still couldn't figure it out... Now the explorer.exe itself is taking 100% CPU utilization even in idle state

did you cleaned off the thermal paste completely using isopropyl alcohol and applied new paste? or just using the old hard paste?

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^ ? r u serious ??? what does that has to do with high temps ?

No that wasn't for the temperature query.That was for the 100% CPU utilization query!!
Come on 100% CPU utilization by explorer.exe!!Duncha think there is something wrong with the OS(like infected with some virus or trojan)?

OP
koushikvij

koushikvij

@Tech.Masti: You were right. The problem was with the Asus Q-fan Control. I enabled it in the BIOS. After diabling it my CPU idle temperature was at 48 degree celsius :) and the RPM of the CPU fan was at 2100.

Further there was a virus "Security Tool" that kept on bugging me. Instead of fixing it i reinstalled the OS. Now all seems well.

@ ALL: Thank you for your timely help.

Top Bottom