installing Ubhuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

bholu

Broken In
hi,
I wanna install ubunto on my system,
but the problm is that i dont know how to do that on my system.
i have some very critical problm.

1. I got 80 GB hard disc but on my windose 2000 total 45.16 GB i can c my Q. is where is my remaining GBs????? :?: :?:
(it shows 19.5gb on C drive, 15.9gb on F drive, and 9.76gb on H drive, i'm not mising G drive it is there but there is no space in it when i click on it ask me to format n when i try to format it windows doesnt format.)

2. i also got fedora core 2.5 something but this is in which drive i dont know.
I'm not a admin. for fedora so i can remove this OS?????? :roll: :roll:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
for installing ubuntu,

just go on installing, it isn't much difficult. And if you find difficulty in any stage of install, ask us.

regarding prob 1. i cant get much clue. Mebbe your mobo doesnt support such a large disc, or mebbe you've allocated the remaining space to linux ?

prob no 2. you can't see FC (what's this 2.5 ? i havent heard of such a version) partitiions from windows. For reading from gnu/linux, you've to use some tools like explore2fs or that. for removing FC4 OS, simply delete the partition and dont forget to clear your mbr.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I think he is talking about Fedora 2 there is no FC 2.5...
You cant see Linux partitions in Windows...

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
hey @bholu...

installing a linux is best learnt for the first time with an experienced person.
Try to contact ur friends/someone who knows to install and learn it as they do it...

If u r in chennai, i will be glad to help ;) Or contact ur nearby LUG - Linux Users Group...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Bholu what u can do is boot into Fedora core and and type the following command in the terminal
fdisk -l /dev/hda
Post the output here. That will solve the problem about ur hard disk space.
Now, coming to installatio of ubuntu. It is very easy if you have installed any OS before -even windows. Only place to be careful about is while partitioning. The package of Ubuntu says that default installer will use the whole of hard disk. So, you will have to select only the space you want to use. That isn't so difficult. Overall ubuntu isn't too hard to install or use.

iinfi

mekalodu
is KUBUNTU given in the DVD a good distro?
what all can i do with it ?? can i do C C++ Java etc.??

mehulved

HI infii
Kubuntu is ubuntu which uses KDE instead of GNOME used by Ubuntu. And Ubuntu is a good distro.
Well what can't you do with it?
Of course you can do C,C++,Java,etc.
Its also really easy to use and manage since its based on debian.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
On the dvd version both the live and install images are present..Anyway when DrapperDrake is released Kubuntu will also be sent free of cost..

I have been using Kubutu for 10 days its really cool..... :D

mehulved

Is there any way to make KDE run better in Ubuntu. I downloaded KDE and Enlightenment for Ubuntu. Enlightenment works fine but KDE seems a bit sluggish. Also, since installing KDE, KDE based applications give me an error saying dcopserver not running which wasn't the case b4 installing KDE.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hey guys , I want to install Kubuntu given in this months digit DVD .First I thought , it was a Live CD but it was not.
Now I want to know , what is the procedure to install it on my PC having XP SP2.
I wanna retain my XP and also install Kubuntu.
Is it possible?
If yes , how to install it?

Satissh S

Youngling
Please post how your hdd is partitioned to get better answers. For example, if your hdd has no freespace and everything is allocated entirely to windows, then you have to resize it using FIPS (FIRST INTERACTIVE PARTITION SPLITTER).
Unfortunately, if your try to to resize NTFS disks, you can't do it thro' FIPS. So you'll have to get either Partition Magic or some progs like Mandrake linux installer(Harddrake) can do that without any fuss, but watchout!
I'd suggest to backup any data and repartition your drive so that you have enuf space for GNU/Linux and "other" os.
Also to fully enjoy kubuntu get an ethernet connection, and install it using a server installation method (tough but good). linux expert server So that you can decide on what packages to install to avoid bloat.
Your favourite packages can always be d/l and istalled later.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I have got a 80GB seagate HDD.
My windows is installed on c:\ and that drive is full . But I have 2 more free partitions . One is 5GB and is completely empty, the other is 12 GB and is almost empty.All my windows stuff is in C: only and rest of stuff is in rest of drives. My HDD is FAT32.
Now please guide.

Satissh S

Youngling
Ok! I guess you don't have to resize your Win partition.
SoFrom the 12 GB Partition remove all Win data and backup it to windows HDD, Linux can read windows partitons so you don't have to worry abt not using your data in linux.
Start the ubuntu installer (by placing the cd in the cdrom drive :lol: ) and change the bios boot to cdrom drive or dvd drive and save and exit (F2 or del. If you are relatively new to linux, do a default install Just press [Enter](Or type linux server expert if you wan't to customise software selection)
Follow the prompts and answer optimisticly,( If you get a box named automatic network configuration failed, select static setup and enter IP, Gateway, Netmask and Nameserversand select OK) until you reach a section named partitioning. Here, Delete your "D:" and "E:" Partitions, Select Help to read help about partitioning.

1. Create a new partition of 100Mb and select it to "format" it to ext2 FS and "use it" as to /boot.

2. Create a new partition of size twice as your RAM and similarily use it as a [SWAP] space. If you have more than 1 gb of ram. You usually don't need swap.

3. If you're gonna use your system for small file handling reiserfs might just be your choice, as it comprehensively beats both Ext2 and Ext3 in small file operations. So select create new partition and partition it for rest of the free space. Select to use it as / partition.
Press finish to write changes. If you wan't you can also select to use your windows partition as /media/windows

4. That's it, follow the prompts and reply positively to anything that pops up and finish the install and select yes when you are asked whether to install a boot loader on MBR.

Note:- In the above partition setup. I'am certainly not forcing you to use that same setup. Feel Free to try anything in the free 17 GB of space. Feel free to use any partitioning scheme that appeals you.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Thanx satissh.
I'll definitely try it.
BTW, how much space does the installed kubuntu take on HDD. I mean can i install it on my 5GB partition alone coz i just dont wanna take the hassle of taking backup and partition merging.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
5 GB will be more than enough for a full install. But if you use the OS extensively, want to install a lot of software, and want to store a lot of files, then u need more space.

iinfi

mekalodu
i have installed KUBUNTU from the Digit DVD. but my mouse is not running in this.
i m jus stuck in the desktop and all i cud do was to press ctrl+alt+del and restart the PC
some of you in this forum will remember that i had installed FC4 also from the Digit DVD 2-3 months back and then also i had this mouse problem. then i had used the "mouseconfig" command and selected almost all the mouse options but to no avail.
I got fed up and removed FC4.

now the same problem with KUBUNTU. i feel there is some problem with my mouse or my head.
i know no keyboard shortcuts in KUBUNTU and hence stuck on the desktop

Satissh S

Youngling
Do you use a usb mouse or serial mouse??
If so, press [ctrl]+[alt]+F2, enter your login name and password and
goto runlevel 3 by doing. Type password as necessary.
# sudo init 3
After some text rolling, press enter to get to prompt
# sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
This will open vi editor. Press INSERT key. Look for the section named "InputDevice" and identifier as "mouse0"
The lines give after # are comments you can ignore them.
Change the protocol to "usb and the device to "/dev/usb" if you use usb mouse and to "serial" and device to "/dev/ttyS0", If you use
serial mouse. If you use Ps2, select the protocol as PS2 or IMPS2 and device as /dev/psaux . Save and close by issuing [Esc] and [Shift] + : and type wq. Hope that clears it.

digen

Youngling
Sorry for barging in between a ongoing discussion but Satish S,dude tell me isnt using a filesystem having the journaling feature a added advantage ?

Cause if i'm not wrong ext3=ext2 + journaling

Although the functioning of it to the best of production use is questionable since from the OP it seems this a home machine but I tend to follow good practises if you may call it that.

Anyone wanting to know of why to use journaling filesystem over a non-journaling filesystem would like to read this :*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system

I just had to mention this from a general point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom