installing Ubhuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satissh S

Youngling
Hi! My views were based on these benchmarks,
Linux Filesystem Benchmarks
and these, which i came across, I thought to share but forgot somehow.

But another thing which i had read is that, for smaller hard disks (partitions), non-journalling filesystems such as ext2 are good because, there isn't any extra space required for the metadata journalling. Please correct me if wrong.

iinfi

mekalodu
@Satissh S:
i did as u had told me to. but i m unable to go back to the GUI. i m stuck up in the terminal window. top to bottom of my screen is black!
i tried "exit" command but it is only logging me out and asking for username and password in terminal window.
i restarted using the same old Ctrl+ Alt + Del but it shows the same terminal window on restarting also :(

i m yet to see whether the mouse is running or not as i haven't been able to get to the Desktop (GUI)

Satissh S

Youngling
Umm.. Seems like sumthing is wrong with your xorg.conf file, does xserver through up any errors?Post it's log.
Use the following command to start X and post the error message here,
# startx
I somehow forgot to tell you to make a back-up b4 editing it. My bad
Sorry!! :(
Backup your file first,
#cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /root/xorg.conf.bak

If you want you can use,

1. xorgcfg (If that fails try, xorgcfg -textmode)
This command starts an xserver and allows you to create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf based on that.
(or)
2. xorgconfig
This command also helps creating an xorg.conf, based on asking a few questions.
Only one of the above, not both.

OP
B

bholu

Broken In
soory guys i was not here from last ten days,

vignesh said:
You cant see Linux partitions in Windows...
yes vignesh i cant see linux partition in windows,

now i got new problm
i was trying to install ubhuntu my self but in between i quite the installation .
now my fedora is not booting
any thing i can do for this,

sorry "cool_dude_prov" I stay in mumbai,
hey guys any one really want to help me out then he is most wellcome in Santacruz my cell No. is 9869755054 SMS me.

Satissh S

Youngling
You might have wiped out the fedora partition, That's the reason. If you are sure there is fedora, Configure GRUB accordingly to boot into it.

iinfi

mekalodu
i ran this command and my desktop was restored
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
i found this in the xorg.config file's comments

i once again did the steps which u had said in ur previous post abt editing the xorg.conf file
the file (inputdevice section) looks like this
Section "Input Device"
Identifier "mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device"
Option "Protocol"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "Protocol" "serial"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "ZAxisMapping"
EndSection

the identifier was initially "ConfiguredMouse" and after a few attempts I changed it to "mouse0"but, still, restarting the KUBUNTU resulted in me getting a terminal window and not the GUI interface.
p.s. i didnt find any InputDevice section with Identifier "mouse0"

Satissh S

Youngling
Well "mouse0" is just a generic name for the mouse, that is referenced in the serverlayout section, depends.
Does your mouse work now??
Instead of serial protocol, try using logitech, or auto. Should work. Post back if it works.

iinfi

mekalodu
i m not able to see the GUI screen. so man i cannot say whether the mouse is workng or not.

i had said in one earlier post that my mouse did not work in FC4 also inspite of Linux gurus in this forum trying hard to get it rite. i wonder why this problem is occuring with me. But long long back i had installed SUSe9.1 Personal and everyting was fine then!!!

anyway, i will use logitech or auto and see if it works!!

iinfi

mekalodu
done man
thank you very much.

Option "Protocol" "auto" did the trick

is the C compiler and Java compiler preinstalled in this or do i have to download both. what about some C n Java editors for KUBUNTU. any suggestions.

and i have reliance FWP connection. how can i connect the net form Linux?? does rpm run in UBUNTU??

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hi iinfi I guess C and Java compiler will be present in the cd but not installed by default. At least that is the case in Ubuntu. And yeah USB mice are a bit of trouble sometimes. I am having a problem with it in FreeBSD, Gentoo and now weirdly in Knoppix, which detected it fine earlier.

Satissh S

Youngling
Ne, RPM is for Redhat suse and based, ubuntu is based on Debian.
D/L the .deb package and use
# dpkg -i package-*.deb
to get it working. Else configure apt/synaptic. I guess they wud already be configured. Enjoy :)

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
gcc would have installed if you checked "Development". You may need to download and install java separately.

For IDEs, Use Anjuta for C/C++ and NetBeams IDE for Java.

For Reliance Settings go through This . Even though it is for FC, must work on Kubuntu too.

Ubuntu is based on debian and rpm wont work on them. But you can use ALIEN for converting rpm into deb.

iinfi

mekalodu
ok ...thanks guys ...i will check n let u know if Java n C are working

added:
i found that if i tried to compile a c++ program using "C++ sample.cc" or "g++ sample.cc"

then i m getting a command not found error

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I guess then GCC and G++ aren;t installed. Just type gcc in a terminal. If you get any output then gcc is installed or else you will have to install it.
Have a look here

iinfi

mekalodu
@desertwind: i went thru the site which you provided for Reliance Settings but it didnt yield anything. my fone jus doesnt respond.

meanwhile i found 2 files in my HDD which i had used to connect to the net when i had installed SuSe9.1 Personal once upon a time.

the two files are
upnet.sh
#!/bin/bash

echo "user 223098XXXX password 223098XXXX" > $HOME/.ppprc

pppd /dev/ttyS1 115200 debug usepeerdns defaultroute noauth connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v "" at+crm=1 OK "atdt#777" CONNECT' mtu 264

and downnet.sh
#!/bin/bash
killall -9 pppd

when u run this upnet.sh the fone does respond and connect to the net but the connection is terminated within 1second. i m cluless as to why this is happening.

iinfi

mekalodu
my net is still not connecting!! :(

well UBUNTU shows up as the default OS while booting while MS Windows is the second option.

i want Windows as default!! how do i do that?

iinfi

mekalodu
$ gedit /etc/grub.conf

there is no grub.conf file in the /etc directory!!!
and i also get an error saying "gedit command not found"

praka123

left this forum longback
as root [# prompt] try vi or gedit [if u dont have try
Code:
apt-get install gedit
or manually 'cd' into the ubuntu cd directory and install as dpkg -i gedit* ] as
~#gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
and make the wingdows entry above ubuntu read the file fully for more ideas..For eg; U can have a splash image for grub by installing "apt-get install grub-splashimages" and adding the entry in the above file as
splashimage=(hd0,9)/grub/splashimages/gentleblue.xpm.gz
OR
splashimage=/boot/grub/splashimages/gentleblue.xpm.gz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom