Information needed :- CMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I have already posted a thread concerned with a website that I am designing. This one, I have started cause I want to know about CMS (Content Management Systems).

I want some information on them. Why should one use these systems. In what way they are better, and which one to use.

Aditya

slugger

Banned
it s basically a system to manage data systematically, esp when the volume of data is large, like corporate websites, file servers, forums etc

2 get u started

Content management system

List of content management systems

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I have read the articles on wikipedia.

I want a little detailed information. I was unable to get it after googeling.

Pathik

Google Bot
Try joomla or drupal.. If u want a lite one use flux cms.. Basically u use cmses to integrate all ur data in a presentable format

shaunak

Tux Fan
I personally would recomend drupal. Its light, powerfull and [reletively] easy to customize. Initially it took me a while to get used to its structure once you get the hang of it you can customize the layout/theme in a matter of mins. [though my site is still under construction because i just cant decide upon a damn color scheme!]
Plus they have a great and helpfull comunity.
Drupal takes about ~5mb and loads very quickly much.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
aditya.shevade said:
I want some information on them. Why should one use these systems. In what way they are better, and which one to use.

main advantage is its Dynamic... so kind a bloging or Foruming, using a Text editor to simple post ur page over a static one where u have to manually develop each and every page :p

there are many, Drupal, Joomla, Mambo Servers...

its just for a starter I personally feel one would need to spend a lot of time to customize his site on the way he would like and there are many options and hacks and plugins or such.. so for starter personally i would say will take some timeto understand, in how to work and giving the site a unique look :D

tuxfan

Technomancer
Here's a small explanation from me. Although technically not very accurate, it could explain you the concept. :)

A browser can understand only HTML. A person who updates the content (e.g. site owner's employee or site admin) doesn't understand HTML. So an interpreter is required between the two. CMS is one such interpreter.

A simple interface is provided to update the content (and other settings of the site). The site admin logs in using a username and password, simply clicks a few times :p to reach at the right spot and modifies the content. It could be as simple as logging in a hotmail/yahoo account and composing a mail. Once the data is saved, it gets saved in the database which will make it appear at the right place in the right format.

A typical CMS like (Wordpress, Joomla, phpNuke, etc.) is written using PHP and uses a MySQL database.

At times, even if a person has knowledge of HTML, PHP, etc. it is better to use a CMS. For example, in a blog there are various posts which are classified as per category. They can even be in multiple categories. They are also classified date wise. If someone makes a post without CMS, then he will have to manually edit multiple pages. This is a mechanical task prone to human errors. So it is better if a CMS (e.g. WordPress) does the job which is more quicker and more accurate.

Hope I have made it clear. :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^^^^^^^^I think this is sufficient to know basic abt CMS.

Off topic:
Nice to see you back ashish @tuxfan.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
tuxfan said:
Here's a small explanation from me. Although technically not very accurate, it could explain you the concept. :)

A browser can understand only HTML. A person who updates the content (e.g. site owner's employee or site admin) doesn't understand HTML. So an interpreter is required between the two. CMS is one such interpreter.

A simple interface is provided to update the content (and other settings of the site). The site admin logs in using a username and password, simply clicks a few times :p to reach at the right spot and modifies the content. It could be as simple as logging in a hotmail/yahoo account and composing a mail. Once the data is saved, it gets saved in the database which will make it appear at the right place in the right format.

A typical CMS like (Wordpress, Joomla, phpNuke, etc.) is written using PHP and uses a MySQL database.

At times, even if a person has knowledge of HTML, PHP, etc. it is better to use a CMS. For example, in a blog there are various posts which are classified as per category. They can even be in multiple categories. They are also classified date wise. If someone makes a post without CMS, then he will have to manually edit multiple pages. This is a mechanical task prone to human errors. So it is better if a CMS (e.g. WordPress) does the job which is more quicker and more accurate.

Hope I have made it clear. :)

Hey... nice to see you back. Thanks for the info.

Now one more question, which one should I use? For a site which will contain some articles and project(s) information. Maybe some photos.

For a blog I think I will use wordpress. But for the rest, I am confused. Please suggest. I have tried mambo. But I was not able to change he layout of the site. (Maybe because of lack of knowledge), so please tell me where to learn those also.

Aditya

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
TO edit CMS...learn PHP and CSS.

Best way to get knowledge is from their respective forums.

My experience says: Drupal is best CMS.

tuxfan

Technomancer
ravi_9793 said:
Off topic:
Nice to see you back ashish @tuxfan.
aditya.shevade said:
Hey... nice to see you back. Thanks for the info.
Thanks guys for the warmth. :)

@ aditya.shevade: Do you have about 5-6 months at hand? Have a look at *www.opensourcecms.com/ :D You can try lots of CMS without bothering about installation.

I am personally a fan of WordPress :razz: It can be used even as a CMS if customised properly. Otherwise ModX, Joomla and I have heard that XOOPS is also nice.

alanpaladka

Journeyman
I think Joomla is best. I'm using it and found no problems with it. But to edit the layout and modules, PHP and CSS knowledge is needed.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
pathiks said:
+ 1 for Drupal... I ve had no problems with Joomla too..
+2 For Drupal .

It's main advantage is that it is a LOT efficient than Joomla .

On my P4 machine it churned out ~200 Pages Per Minute whereas Joomla did only 13 Pages Per Minute on server load testing with 50 concurrent connections .

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Actually I have selected a free css template. Is it possible to convert to CMS template?

@ tuxfan, how can one use wordpress as CMS for a website (not weblog)?

@ everyone, so, where to go? Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress (if tuxfan or someone else tells me how).

Aditya

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Best way to try is...............
*www.opensourcecms.com/

All open source CMS demo are available.....you can try any...and make your final decision.

tuxfan

Technomancer
aditya.shevade said:
Actually I have selected a free css template. Is it possible to convert to CMS template?

Could be possible, but you will have to go thru a sample template and study and customise.

aditya.shevade said:
@ tuxfan, how can one use wordpress as CMS for a website (not weblog)?

It all depends on how your site is divided, what type of theme you select, what are the contents, etc. There are no 1,2,3 kind of steps. It is pretty subjective. Understand WP's working and then decide whether it could be used for your purposes or not.

mehulved said:
Try out all the 3 on your local PC. Get familiar with them and decide for yourself.

... and for that you will need Apache, PHP, MySQL installed and configured on your machine. Get XAMPP and you could be ready in minutes to try out any PHP+MySQL application offline. :)

Last edited:

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Wordpress is better for a simple CMS, Easier to code custom templates and Modify it.

I don't think I quite like Drupal, The Templating system is tad difficult and it doesn't allow you to make it look the way YOU want :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom