India warned to boost internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
India, Asia's third-largest economy, has less than 5 per cent internet penetration and only 0.4 per cent in broadband services. In some states, such as Bihar and Assam, internet was almost non-existent, research said.
That's what the article says, maybe the researchers reports are outdated as 7 to 8 yrs.. :D

parthbarot

In the zone
Whts this crap man?its good that we are ahead in technology and software market..and still using low net.thats lower usage of energy and money..then y the hell the private comp to be worried? we are happy and use as we need...we are not like those crappy people in other areas who uses INTERNET just to publish their daily life on net! its total crap... total...

anybody tell them..that lesser usage of energy and technology is better...instead of misuse it!

regards.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
wireless is the way to go as it is far easier to set up wireless towers in a crowded country like ours. I have seen enough havoc being created on the roads for laying and repairing OFC cables.

Quite true, I follow one statement of Dayanidhi Maran, "3G is not cost effective in India, 4G is". 4G has a large coverage area & although 3G can be available on mobile phones, what about normal Laptops & Dekstops used in villages etc where wiring isn't possible.

I am ready to Pay a Max of Rs 300 for unlimited data based EDGE service & Rs 600 if they allow me to connect a computer to mobile to use EDGE on PC. Even in delhi there are many places such as some secotor of dwarka where Airtel hasn't wired the colonies yet so at such places Wireless Internet of Mobile phone is the only way to go. Mobile phone companies should now start to give cheap EDGE at Rs 300 for use in Mobile phone but chrage a premium of Rs 600 or 700 when connected to a PC.

EDGE usually goes to a speed of 384 kbps which is equivalent to the regular broadband 90% of the people use at home (they still use 256 kbps mostly), so since 3G is here, they can start to charge a premium for 3G but should make EDGE cheap cos for most people, EDGE would suffice when they want to use internet on mobile phone.

lesser usage of energy and technology is better

he he, the amount of energy required by BSNL to provide 256 kbps is same as 8mbps (in electricity terms). They should not provide affordable internet at 2 mbps or 8 mbps for home use just now cos that will simply increase the amount of piracy already in India. Government should make Internet affordable but not too affordable. Frankly saying, if I stop piracy....If I stop downloading heavy data on Torrents then 512kbps is enough for my browsing or youtub needs. The only time I miss high speed internet is when I m downloading a 1.4 GB DVD rip off the torrent.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Actually Most of the Indian BandWidth is stuck in the BSNL Internet Monopoly....
Hope Private company grows up faster to Connect ppl

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
2Mbps is a must, but the rates are very high keeping in mind the scenario in our country.
Why so much speed?? Is it good to keep the PC on for 12 hrs to download on 256kbps connection or 3 hrs on 2Mbps connection. I am assuming the speed has increased 8 times, but download speed 4 times for various factors involved.

So downloading at the night unlimited time will save a lot of electricity, unless you are downloading the entire thing on your cell-phone connected to charger, which will use very less electricity. Why this point, coz it important to save resources in developing countries like ours.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^^ Absolutely right, can U please tell me what "data" do u download :D

If it is piracy & downloading torrents then sorry...ISPs should not help you.

I agree that we should indeed have high speed internet. Who doesn't like browsing on high speed net, also with high speed net affordable more & more Indians will move to IPTV & content on Demand services along with Digital Media Store like iTunes (Example) or Netflix instead of pirating.

BSNL doesn't have the monopoly, its just that BSNL has wires laid everywhere inside the ground in India. The only way for private companies to penetrate internet in India is to go wireless which they can only do if they provide it at affordable. Today most of the phones out there are GPRS enabled, some are EDGE & few are 3G enabled in India, so cheap GPRS or EDGE will indeed increase the user base & money will start to roll for the carriers.

Last edited:

chooza

Journeyman
^^^^ Absolutely right, can U please tell me what "data" do u download :D

If it is piracy & downloading torrents then sorry...ISPs should not help you.

I agree that we should indeed have high speed internet. Who doesn't like browsing on high speed net, also with high speed net affordable more & more Indians will move to IPTV & content on Demand services along with Digital Media Store like iTunes (Example) or Netflix instead of pirating.

BSNL doesn't have the monopoly, its just that BSNL has wires laid everywhere inside the ground in India. The only way for private companies to panetrate internet in India is to go wireless which they can only do if they provide it at affordable. Today most of the phones out there are GPRS enabled, some are EDGE & few are 3G enabled in India, so cheap GPRS or EDGE will indeed increse the user base & money will start to roll for the carriers.
+1 Bro.

x3060

A LOTR fan
wish in near future that we get high speed net....although that's been a wish for many years , i wonder how long it will remain as a wish and not a reality.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
Maybe we will enjoy the speed of 10 mbps line when we are old or something but i guess our kids will surely enjoy.. :D lol

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
he he, the amount of energy required by BSNL to provide 256 kbps is same as 8mbps (in electricity terms). They should not provide affordable internet at 2 mbps or 8 mbps for home use just now cos that will simply increase the amount of piracy already in India. Government should make Internet affordable but not too affordable. Frankly saying, if I stop piracy....If I stop downloading heavy data on Torrents then 512kbps is enough for my browsing or youtub needs. The only time I miss high speed internet is when I m downloading a 1.4 GB DVD rip off the torrent.
And what about people like me who:
(1) Don't download pirated movies, music, etc.
(2) Wish to download and try Linux DVD ISOs
(3) Try Beta Software for some time like Windows 7 Beta.

Not to mention updates, software, and repos.

I think assuming piracy is a faulty assumption...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
And what about people like me who:
(1) Don't download pirated movies, music, etc.
(2) Wish to download and try Linux DVD ISOs
(3) Try Beta Software for some time like Windows 7 Beta.

Not to mention updates, software, and repos.

I think assuming piracy is a faulty assumption...

1) Then you don't need anything over 512kbps in current web scenario.
2) Do u download a new Linux distribution everyday or every week??? Wow, if your needs are that high, then do invest in a higher speed data plan.
3) Also, do u download Windows 7 beta everyday & reinstall it.

4) For software, update etc...isn't 512 kbps usually enough or do u update them everyday?

nix

china is far ahead of us when it comes to internet penetration. its has the max no of internet users in the world. i wonder why BSNL has to be the first to lower prices.. then everyone else will follow.
the current wimax system is no good.. for that to work.. the tower should be visible from your house.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^ya, that day I called Reliance WiMax. They are charging a bomb(Rs. 750+) for some shitty speed like 144kbps.

Prolly, it will be useful in rural areas where wiring will take more 40 yrs!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
1) Then you don't need anything over 512kbps in current web scenario.
2) Do u download a new Linux distribution everyday or every week??? Wow, if your needs are that high, then do invest in a higher speed data plan.
3) Also, do u download Windows 7 beta everyday & reinstall it.

4) For software, update etc...isn't 512 kbps usually enough or do u update them everyday?

I wish to have high speed while browsing as well. And if I could I could download a one or two distros every month or so.
Your statement seems much like that what that Sify guy said some time ago:
"400 MB @ 128 Kbps limit is more than sufficient for most users. More than that is geek demand" :rolleyes:

And the higher data plans are WAAAAY too costly. If I subscribe to those, my mom will throw me out. :D

If someone wants to pirate, he will whether he has 512kbps/2Mbps/8Mbps, etc. Normal users should not suffer due to some pirate users.

I don't in particular need unlimited but 40-50GB BW @ 2Mbps below Rs.1000, would be fine for me.
And yes, I want to play multiplayer games as well...I still haven't played TF2 inspite of having original version...:|

And I forgot to mention I download HL2 game mods. (which are legal and free for HL2 owners like me)
And also I use Youtube a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom