India warned to boost internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I agree with gxsaurav.
We do not need 3G or 2Mbps connections rather need to enhance what we have got.
I use Airtel's GPRS on my laptop via Bluetooth DUN. I got to tell you guys, it seems as though I use the DUN connection of BSNL that used to exist in the days of 2001.

Edge is here but still what I get on my phone is EGPRS (enhanced GPRS) and the downloading speed does not exceed 15 KB/s and the yahoo home page takes 40 - 50 seconds to open.

I am compelled to use orkut on the low bandwidth version and gmail in the html mode. And am paying 249 per month for this. The only good thing about this is the "unlimited " tag. But what good is it with this speed.

For users like me Edge has to come up and be available at affordable rates.

chooza

Journeyman
china is far ahead of us when it comes to internet penetration. its has the max no of internet users in the world. i wonder why BSNL has to be the first to lower prices.. then everyone else will follow.
the current wimax system is no good.. for that to work.. the tower should be visible from your house.

Yes, but with more restrictins to users than in India.

zegulas

Traceur
Well, I just know one thing, more speed is always better. And looking at the global scenario, we are lagging too much, US has like 50 to 60 Mbps connections, now Korea is getting 1 Gbps. Then why can't we provide atleast 8 Mbps?
And here we are fighting for Kbps & download limits.
I am using MTNL's Triband 256 Kbps Unlimited plan which costs Rs.999
I use sites like youtube a lot and also download free & open source software a lot. So it would be great if we could use the new technologies efficiently!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
DrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmM!

Count the letters, yeah that many years it will take to increase a tiny bit :):rolleyes:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, I just know one thing, more speed is always better. And looking at the global scenario, we are lagging too much, US has like 50 to 60 Mbps connections, now Korea is getting 1 Gbps. Then why can't we provide atleast 8 Mbps?
And here we are fighting for Kbps & download limits.
I am using MTNL's Triband 256 Kbps Unlimited plan which costs Rs.999
I use sites like youtube a lot and also download free & open source software a lot. So it would be great if we could use the new technologies efficiently!

Ok, u need high speed? Do u represent the majority of Indian population using internet? Or do u represent majority of indian population using computers?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I guess there is no enough money. India has BASIC issues to fix poverty, education, food, water, agriculture etc... The list endless you guys know it !

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
If we have affordable 3G is would have lot of electricity, we could download directly from mobile. no need to keep your download PC running for hours and days:D

choudang

Padawan
after going thru .. here are my points... correct me if i wrong

1. BSNL does has monopoly, as we all know that for all circuits like Mobility or Telemedia (dsl and landline), we have to route thru bsnl. and MTNL has launched 3G in india (trial basis of 300/- pm .. as i have been informed).

2. If we are talking about edge, i think this is also in a birth place, how many cities are covered by edge? how may subscribers are there to avail in india?

3. Regarding GPRS, for normal users it is very economical from my point of view, subject to price in diff circles. in North East, Airtel has 249/- pm with unltm download where reliance is costing the download charges. connectivity is good/poor depends on connectivity into that area. again in kolkata prepaid cust can avail this facility by doing erc of 498 /pm. and speed is really good, sometimes it goes better than sify iway.

4. I would prefer to DataOne rather than Airtel, as speed is really faster than airtel. but it sucks when you going thru with frequent disconnection and long time non-availability, and you should be a existing bsnl landline cust. Home 500 or 750 is not a bad choice for music or application or torrents. Again, from the service part, airtel is far better, but it has billing spikes and other issues and most imp, airtel does not have standalone services like dsl and voice, its called combo if you are using both else you can you voice or dsl, but your connection will have Voice tagging until and unless SI deactivation. DSL 799 is a good choice with 256kbps and 999 with 384kbps.

5. 3G/True GPRS/EGDE.. before these .. we should have PTT, which is offered by TATA in Banglr only.

After all.. These are the wars for how to get more spectrum bandwidth, acquisition of bigger customer base as compared to competitor etc

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
1. BSNL does has monopoly, as we all know that for all circuits like Mobility or Telemedia (dsl and landline), we have to route thru bsnl

Not quite. Airtel is wiring the land with there own wires. If a wire reaches someplace then it can be used for both broadband & Landline phone. However, in today's scenario not many people are using Landline phones when Mobile phones are cheap & easily available. Tata Indicome & Reliance use WLL for there landline phone needs which is basically a big mobile phone. WLL phones can also connect to Internet using CDMA technology.

When it comes to villages, it costs less to intall a tower & WLL based phone instead of wiring the ground. Wireless is the way to go when it comes to reaching remote places. DTH companies are also cashing on this principal only.

2. If we are talking about edge, i think this is also in a birth place, how many cities are covered by edge? how may subscribers are there to avail in india?

Well, it is available in Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Lucknow via Vodafone & Idea (these are the places where I have tried it). Idea has unlimited EDGE for Rs 600/month in prepaid while Vodafone has it for Rs 500 in Postpaid in Delhi & Lucknw.

3. Regarding GPRS, for normal users it is very economical from my point of view, subject to price in diff circles. in North East, Airtel has 249/- pm with unltm download

The speed of GPRS is very low for today's standard. If they provide unlimited EDGE for Rs 250 then it makes sense. where reliance is costing the download charges. Unlimited EDGE should be given where possible at Rs 300/month.

DSL 799 is a good choice with 256kbps and 999 with 384kbps.

Too costly. 1 mbps should be given for Rs 1000 idealy, if not that then atleast 512 KBPS.

5. 3G/True GPRS/EGDE.. before these .. we should have PTT, which is offered by TATA in Banglr only.

I wanted to ask as I am noob in this regard, what is the benefit of Push to talk?

choudang

Padawan
Not quite. Airtel is wiring the land with there own wires. If a wire reaches someplace then it can be used for both broadband & Landline phone. However, in today's scenario not many people are using Landline phones when Mobile phones are cheap & easily available. Tata Indicome & Reliance use WLL for there landline phone needs which is basically a big mobile phone. WLL phones can also connect to Internet using CDMA technology.

When it comes to villages, it costs less to intall a tower & WLL based phone instead of wiring the ground. Wireless is the way to go when it comes to reaching remote places. DTH companies are also cashing on this principal only.

All accounts are leased based to service provider... and calls are routed thru BSNL circuite from the main MSC of service provider. The connecting wire might belong to Airtel/Tata or Reliance ... this is connected to Switch/MSC of service providers thru RSU/Pillers/Sub Pillers etc and finally routed thru BSNL circuite.

Your mobile or landline might pertaining to brand of Airtel or Reliance whatsoever -- but that 10 digit mobile number is one of the leased number which are taken from BSNL by your service provider.

Well, it is available in Delhi, Bangalore, Pune, Lucknow via Vodafone & Idea (these are the places where I have tried it). Idea has unlimited EDGE for Rs 600/month in prepaid while Vodafone has it for Rs 500 in Postpaid in Delhi & Lucknw.

Do you have any idea about the subscriber base of these users...
Anyway, pl consider rest of the towns.. does Varanasi/Patna/Guwahati/Bhubaneswar etc towns are covered or planned to covered???

Second thing, is it the total rental or we have to pay more and above the data package .. like internet conn @ Rs. 300 and EDGE facility @ Rs. 500 = total Rs. 800 for data subscription

The speed of GPRS is very low for today's standard. If they provide unlimited EDGE for Rs 250 then it makes sense. where reliance is costing the download charges. Unlimited EDGE should be given where possible at Rs 300/month.

Have you ever been to kolkata? go there, take a prepaid (Airtel) and experience the speed.. i have used 14 months, where it was used for torrent, chat, forums etc. even here in delhi ... i don't have any problem with my gprs.. even this post is also a part of gprs.

Too costly. 1 mbps should be given for Rs 1000 idealy, if not that then atleast 512 KBPS.

why do you need 512 KBPS true speed (this is a part of your qn in the first page)

I wanted to ask as I am noob in this regard, what is the benefit of Push to talk?

do some googling is you are not satisfied with this

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
Broadband itself is sold as "speedy downloads", no matter what you download

Currently They are busy gearing up with their infra projects, connecting the entire nation.
Till the time these Businessmen are done with this Nation it will be the largest server farm the internet has ever seen

chooza

Journeyman
^ true bro. First we need to develop our basic infra, then we will automatically get every thing.

axxo

99.9% Idle
Ok, u need high speed? Do u represent the majority of Indian population using internet? Or do u represent majority of indian population using computers?

going with your statement majority of Indian population do just browsing for which a 56/128kbps dialup would suffice.
To get a continuous uninterrupted streaming from youtube like portals we need atleast a 1Mbps+ speed con.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
PTT- It acts more like a wireless phone where you can talk to other people in a certain range without being charged (atleast that's what i think it is). Abroad PTT is given by default from the service providers. Here i think only few are providing it.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
PTT- It acts more like a wireless phone where you can talk to other people in a certain range without being charged (atleast that's what i think it is). Abroad PTT is given by default from the service providers. Here i think only few are providing it.
PTT is banned in INDIA to protect Provider profits:p

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
^^^^ Absolutely right, can U please tell me what "data" do u download :D

If it is piracy & downloading torrents then sorry...ISPs should not help you.

I agree that we should indeed have high speed internet. Who doesn't like browsing on high speed net, also with high speed net affordable more & more Indians will move to IPTV & content on Demand services along with Digital Media Store like iTunes (Example) or Netflix instead of pirating.

BSNL doesn't have the monopoly, its just that BSNL has wires laid everywhere inside the ground in India. The only way for private companies to penetrate internet in India is to go wireless which they can only do if they provide it at affordable. Today most of the phones out there are GPRS enabled, some are EDGE & few are 3G enabled in India, so cheap GPRS or EDGE will indeed increase the user base & money will start to roll for the carriers.

In that case I wouldn't be using linux (see my tagline). The second thing is I have a genuine copy of XP too. All torrents are not illegal. What about torrents, which are used for sharing linux distros?

RChandan

Broken In
I used to use Be24 Meg (Be PRO) back in the UK last year. Can't tell you guys how fast it was. Just wish something like that was in India as well. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom