India ranked 141 out of 162 in peace index

Vignesh B

Youngling
India ranks low at 141in this year’s Global Peace Index (GPI) that measured peace in 162 countries, according to 22 qualitative and quantitative indicators of the absence and fear of violence.

The major indicators that bring down India’s ranking are militarisation, domestic and international conflicts, and corruption.

However, despite an increase in military expenditure, India made positive gains in its level of peace after reductions in deaths from internal conflict and the level of perceived criminality in society, according to the 7th edition of the annual GPI released on Tuesday.

In the South Asian region, Sri Lanka is one notch above India at rank four while Bhutan is the most peaceful country. It is followed by Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, in that order.

Globally, a dramatic rise in the number of homicides and 59 more countries increasing their military expenditure as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product were the key drivers in making the world a less peaceful place, according to the 2013 GPI.

This year’s findings underline a six-year trend showing a deterioration of five per cent in global peace. In this time, 110 countries have seen their score deteriorate while only 48 became more peaceful. The economic impact of this five per cent loss in peace came at a cost to the global economy of $473 billion last year.

Europe remains the most peaceful region comprising 13 of the top 20 countries, including Iceland, which continues to rank first.
Source - The Hindu

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Uh sri lanka and bangladesh are moar peaceful than us? Wow

Indian culture is to blame, am sure

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Actually you are all getting it wrong. I mean i look around and i feel like people could do with some more violence. So if India is way above average in violence, is this all the violence there is in this World.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
I guess the attacks on women which were highlighted on several International media outlets played a major role in deciding the rank. But then again its not possible to conduct a fair survey without factoring in many aspects, like population etc....India has a population of 1.2 Billion, Iceland has 320 Thousand :/

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
hehe, people define culture by history whereas it is the present. Not a very peaceful culture we have, do we?

Krow

Crowman
Mostly peaceful country. Rankings are skewed due to Naxal violence, insurgents in Northeast, the Kashmir problem, and tensions with China.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Mostly peaceful country. Rankings are skewed due to Naxal violence, insurgents in Northeast, the Kashmir problem, and tensions with China.
Reminds me of this scene
sholay funny scene (mausiji) - YouTube

Gollum

Collector
India's score per year on global Peace Index
lower is better

142 2.549 - 2012
135 2.570 - 2011
128 2.516 - 2010
122 2.433 - 2009
107 2.355 - 2008
109 2.53 - 2007