India’s first manned space flight trial in 2015

heidi2521

Padawan
India’s first manned space flight trial in 2015

The first flight of ISRO's new and powerful rocket that will be able to carry an Indian to space, is expected to take place by the middle of 2015.

Known as the Geostationary satellite launch vehicle (GSLV) Mark-III, this is the heavy-duty rocket, which Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will use to send an Indian astronaut to the space. Doing the same with commercial foreign rockets, would be very expensive.

“GSLV Mk-III will have a payload of 6-10 tonnes and can take an Indian astronaut to a low earth orbit,” ISRO chairman K Radhakrishnan said at the Indian National Science Academy here on Tuesday.

The Soyuz monopoly should be broken soon if ISRO is successful.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Great news....just when I was thinking that politics would not make this possible for sometime, this news came up.

Looks like 2015 will be the year of space since Deep Space Industries plans to start its asteroid mining operation in 2015 as well.

icebags

Technomancer
gslv failure rate is pretty high..... who will agree to ride it so soon? :eek:

its very frustrating to see that they cant develop a proper cryo engine when more than a decade is passed since the glsv was introduced. :-x

Last edited:

nikufellow

In the zone
Would anyone knowingly agree to be on this thing specially since its 'desi' made?.... Well you never know maybe national pride and patriotism would make someone go..... Am really ashamed to admit this but I really doubt isros capabilities of carrying out such a mission!!

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Would anyone knowingly agree to be on this thing specially since its 'desi' made?.... Well you never know maybe national pride and patriotism would make someone go..... Am really ashamed to admit this but I really doubt isros capabilities of carrying out such a mission!!

ISRO is the only thing in India in which you can trust.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That's why they have a target of 2015. They can test in the meantime.

Though I too have my doubts about its capabilities but I think going to space will become more cheaper for Indian astronauts now that we no longer have to rely upon the Russians.

I wish ISRO had a better website though, something on par with NASA.

digit.sh

Journeyman
I shall celebrate only after we have a mature home grown cryogenic engine. :|

Also remember that, we still can't build turbofan engines (for cruise missiles and aircrafts). We can not even build engines for our "indigenous" HAL druv(which borrows it engine from a French company called Turbomeca). Which is a shame.

Talk about self reliance huh?

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
Also remember that, we still can't build turbofan engines (for cruise missiles and aircrafts). We can not even build engines for our "indigenous" HAL druv(which borrows it engine from a French company called Turbomeca). Which is a shame.
Talk about self reliance huh?

apparently our top notch or even upper mediocre students are not interested in core physics/ mechanical thermodynamics, as much as they are interested in doing some computer/software job or sitting in the high salaried chair of some multinational company after doing an mba. you can make blue prints of an aircraft/rocket chassis with software modelling, but can you do the same with an engine ?

That's why they have a target of 2015. They can test in the meantime.
they need to conduct multiple tests, analyze the results, do the modifications/upgradations, then testing again - as much as 4-5 cycles to make sure the people to be sitting on top of those tons of fuel will walk on earth after next few days. can it really be done in 2-3 years ? :eek: 2025 will perhaps be a better goal to think about.

Last edited:
OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
apparently our top notch or even upper mediocre students are not interested in core physics/ mechanical thermodynamics, as much as they are interested in doing some computer/software job or sitting in the high salaried chair of some multinational company after doing an mba.

they need to conduct multiple tests, analyze the results, do the modifications/upgradations, then testing again - as much as 4-5 cycles to make sure the people to be sitting on top of those tons of fuel will walk on earth after next few days. can it really be done in 2-3 years ? :eek: 2025 will perhaps be a better goal to think about.

Worst case scenario: They buy cheap chinese spaceships and try to pass it off as indigenous inventions :D

icebags

Technomancer
^^ that is micromax business model. don't compare it with our flagship space organization's. :D

Last edited:
OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
I was referring to the Akash tablet fiasco not Micromax. I personally consider ISRO trustworthy. They would probably end up bringing in French/Israeli/Russian scientists in if they were unable to succeed on their own.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
A travel to the low earth orbit and back. Although a travel to moon may be distant, but I am glad ISRO is progressing one step at a time.
Because of this haphazard politics of India, news of this kind, cheers me a bit.

Anyway, I made this poster for my FB page: :p

*i.minus.com/i6Y1Tvg8cCAjt.jpg

icebags

Technomancer
nice poster, but that rockets a pslv. may be u would like to change the pic to a gslv mk-iii or at least to some other gslv. :D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I tried to find a lot. But the rocket is still under construction. So it was hard to find.
Plus, I only wanted to give an idea, and needed a pic that have that appeal of "flight to space". If you know what I mean! :D :p

icebags

Technomancer
use something like this : it has an optimus prime like appeal, i think..... :)
Google Image Result for *upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/GSLV1.jpg/310px-GSLV1.jpg

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It's not big enough. And isn't "flying".. :p
Anyway, I am not an artist, nor I want to take this thread offtopic, than it already did! :oops:

Top Bottom