Increasing RAM memory - DDR2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
For quite sometime my computer is slow. I guess it's due to lot of application I installed. I happened to install OS from scratch few times this year. Every time I install fresh OS, my computer was as fast as when I bought this rig new five years back.

My current system:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8 Ghz
Asus P5G MX Motherboard
Transcend 1 GB DDR2 RAM
Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit

Increasing RAM memory would solve this "slow" issue?

And why the older technology DDR2 costs more than newer DDR3 :evil:
Please suggest a compatible 2GB RAM for my system. Cheaper the better.

Any suggestion would be really appreciated. Thank you. :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Your board is archaic. Get MSI G41 P26, it has support for DDR3 RAM also. But this option is only suggested if you don't plan to upgrade any soon.

One more thing, XP has got a behaviour of slowing down over time. So switch to 7 as you have asked in other thread.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Your board is archaic. Get MSI G41 P26, it has support for DDR3 RAM also. But this option is only suggested if you don't plan to upgrade any soon.
Hmmm... I will think about it.
One more thing, XP has got a behaviour of slowing down over time. So switch to 7 as you have asked in other thread.
But still I think I need to increase RAM memory, right? or This 1GB RAM I am using is fine for this upgrade?

prehistoricgamer

Q.C Passed. Tested. OK
Nope. If you plan to upgrade to Win 7, I suggest you to get 2 GB (32 bit OS) or more (64 bit OS).

Right now, I'm running 5 tabs of Mozilla FFX, 1 VLC, 1 BitTorrent and a few low mem apps and I'm consuming 1.3 GB mem.

1 GB is no way enough for now a days requirements. I suggest u to get a new mobo as mentioned above and install 64 bit OS if you can get your hands on one.

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
and here i am, almost set to revert to Win XP, after using Win 7 32-bit for a few months, and see my laptop struggling on it, with its meagre 2GB max. RAM!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
and here i am, almost set to revert to Win XP, after using Win 7 32-bit for a few months, and see my laptop struggling on it, with its meagre 2GB max. RAM!

Currently I'm working on a senior's laptop. It's an HP, i3 + 2GB RAM + Win 7 UL 64 bit. And the system is running just so fine even after opening 15 tabs in mozilla, that I don't feel the need for upgrade. And it's not been formatted since long. May be your slow HDD is to curse. Just guessing.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, you have an i3, probably 2nd or 3rd Gen. OP only has a Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8 Ghz which is not even a true Core2Duo but probably Core Duo architecture. He needs 2GB + Ram for smooth work.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you guys... :)

So 1GB+2GB is just good enough for 32 bit version.

Following are the things I run (max) simultaneously.

Excel (contains too many formulas)
PDF reader
Browser (10+)
Instant messaging applications
Few more applications which run with internet

or

Photoshop
Lightroom
Browser (10+ tabs)
PDF reader
Few other applications

Is 3GB enough for 32bit version? If not, I have to think about other options...

quicky008

Technomancer
Thank you guys... :)

So 1GB+2GB is just good enough for 32 bit version.

Following are the things I run (max) simultaneously.

Excel (contains too many formulas)
PDF reader
Browser (10+)
Few more applications which run with internet

or

Photoshop
Lightroom
Browser (10+ tabs)
PDF reader
Few other applications

Is 3GB enough for 32bit version? If not, I have to think about other options...

Yes,3 gb will suffice for your current needs.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Currently I'm working on a senior's laptop. It's an HP, i3 + 2GB RAM + Win 7 UL 64 bit. And the system is running just so fine even after opening 15 tabs in mozilla, that I don't feel the need for upgrade. And it's not been formatted since long. May be your slow HDD is to curse. Just guessing.

oh yes! didn't occur to me... :p
have been getting HDD errors now. have to get the HDD RMAed.
but my laptop's CPU is also archaic...Intel T2050 @ 1.60 GHz....after all, its a 7-yr old laptop now!! :D
nevertheless, perhaps, XP would be a little less resources-hogging; or would try the 64-bit OS this time.

icebags

Technomancer
as mobo supports, better get a 4 gb ddr3 1333 ram from corsair or gskill. ditch the old ddr2 ram and sell it @ ebay or somewhere else.

ur computer is ancient piece of stuff anyways, so with ddr3 u will get chance to reuse it when upgrade them all. :p

and yah, value rams from gskill & corsairs are very good they can easyly run overclocked @1600mhz, if u need to use them at this in future., in ur future set

icebags

Technomancer
^ o, i clicked ur board link lol. anyways, getting a 2nd hand ram from someone trusted is probably best he can do with his system.

2gb ram is minimum requirement nowadays with all those resource hungry browsers and office applications how that they have become.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
as mobo supports, better get a 4 gb ddr3 1333 ram from corsair or gskill. ditch the old ddr2 ram and sell it @ ebay or somewhere else.

Actually, I thought about selling this entire setup and buying a better system. But that's not gonna happen in the near future. So the reason for increasing RAM.

May be I can get motherboard now, but that need few other considerations like what kinda set up I need in another 1-2yrs. So much to think just getting a better motherboard.

BTW, do you guys know any site where I can find resale value of my current rig (don't laugh) it's too old :D I agree.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Actually, I thought about selling this entire setup and buying a better system. But that's not gonna happen in the near future. So the reason for increasing RAM.

May be I can get motherboard now, but that need few other considerations like what kinda set up I need in another 1-2yrs. So much to think just getting a better motherboard.

No considerations as your socket is archaic, and no modern board supports that.
Also, the mobo change was suggested just due to the fact that it supported ddr3 which are cheap and easier to get. That's it.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
your socket is archaic
:D

For now it's better to get the RAM. Since the upgrade is not gonna happen in the near future, I keep the thought of buying a new motherboard aside. This is information I see in the RAM chip I am using now. I don't know whether the one I am gonna buy should also be same spec/brand to work better.

Transcend | 1GB | DDR2 | 800 DIMM | 5-5-5 |

Doubts:
SO-DIMM and DIMM are different?
MHz - higher number is better or lower number is better??? (like 800 and 667mhz)
Latency - again higher number is better or lower number is better??? (5-5-5, 4-4-4, 3-4-5)
Memory clock - higher number is better or lower number is better??? (like 400 and 333mhz)
I am seeing three different numbers in my mobo spec. 1060/800/667 mhz. I don't know what's my RAM compatible mhz. Since I am using 800 RAM, I assume it's 800 (correct me if I am wrong)

Here are some of the online sellers offer... Which one is better for me?

Transcend DDR2 2 GB PC RAM (JM800QLU-2G) - Transcend: Flipkart.com

Transcend DDR2 2 GB PC RAM (JM667QLU-2G) - Transcend: Flipkart.com

Kingston DDR2 2 GB PC RAM (KVR800D2N6/2G) - Kingston: Flipkart.com

G.Skill NT DDR2 2 GB (1 x 2 GB) PC RAM (F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT) - G.Skill: Flipkart.com

Transcend 2GB DDR2 RAM (JM667QLU-2G) - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

Transcend 2GB DDR2 RAM (JM800QLU-2G) - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

Transcend SO 2GB DDR2 RAM (JM667QSU-2G) - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

Kingston 2GB DDR2 RAM (KVR667D2N5/2G) - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

G.SKILL 2GB X 1 DDR2 800MHZ CL5 VALUE RAM FOR DESKTOP: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories

Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Single: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories

Transcend JM800QLU-2G 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Single: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories

Transcend DDR2-800/PC-6400 PC RAM (JM800QLU-2G) | eBay

Transcend 2 GB DDR2 Desktop RAM: Amazon.in: Electronics

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Okie... I checked about CAS Latency... 800mhz RAM does have a memory clock of 400mhz (kingston 800mz have a memory clock speed of 200mhz) 667mhz RAM does have a memory clock of 333mhz Since any 800/667 is fine, should I also look at memory clock speed. (I think higher the number, better) What's the relation between RAM mhz and memory clock speed? I know I am asking too much for an old rig... Probably this is the last thing, I won't be annoying you guys... :D

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
RAM memory timings usually appear as sequences of four numbers separated by dashes, as in 5-5-5-15. This indicates that the CAS, tRCD and tRP values are all equal to five clock cycles, and that the tRAS value is equal to 15 clock cycles. The smaller the numbers that appear in these sequences, the tighter memory timings are said to be. Likewise, larger numbers are said to indicate looser timings. Simply put, lower latency costs more, tighter timings cost more and the combination of the two is the fastest and costs the most where memory is concerned.

Minion

Conversation Architect
For quite sometime my computer is slow. I guess it's due to lot of application I installed. I happened to install OS from scratch few times this year. Every time I install fresh OS, my computer was as fast as when I bought this rig new five years back.

My current system:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8 Ghz
Asus P5G MX Motherboard
Transcend 1 GB DDR2 RAM
Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit

Increasing RAM memory would solve this "slow" issue?

And why the older technology DDR2 costs more than newer DDR3 :evil:
Please suggest a compatible 2GB RAM for my system. Cheaper the better.

Any suggestion would be really appreciated. Thank you. :)

I would suggest you upgrade motherboard, Processor and ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom