IIT-M may soon impose stricter disciplinary measures on students

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Thats very sick :|

IIT-Madras may soon impose stricter disciplinary measures on students, reveals an e-mail exchange between senior faculty members that TheHindu sourced from one of the recipients. Besides what seem like unreasonable restrictions, some of the professors have made certain shocking comments about the character of students.

The e-mail thread is doing the rounds on campus at a time when students of IIT-M are brimming with discontent over what they deem ‘moral policing'. From regulating students' privacy to restricting their internet access, the proposed ideas seem to take disciplinary measures to a new level of impracticality. “Ideally, no LAN”, “Open doors and windows” (in hostel rooms) and “Shelving hostel nights and thinning down cultural nights” — are some of the ideas mooted by professors, some of whom are also administrators.

The e-mails were exchanged in late March, soon after the open forum in which students argued with administrators over rules regarding hostel nights - an annual celebration that all hostellers look forward to.

Students' feedback at the forum seems to have bothered professors quite a bit, going by what one of the professors M.P. Maiya, chairman, council of wardens, suggests. “For the next open forum, if at all there is one, we must get the questions screened by responsible students first”, he says, in order to ensure no “insulting or embarrassing question” is raised. He says this, referring to ‘I am 21 and what is your (read Warden, CCW, DoS, Director) problem if I have sex with my girl friend or whoever it is in the hostel room?' and questions like that.

Shaligram Tiwari, another faculty member, goes further and brings parents into the picture. “I apologise in stating that parents do not have enough education to recognise moral values,” he says. He suggests “generating enough fear towards wrong-doing” among students and “handling them harshly”, clarifying that “Of course, the good and academic students will naturally remain unaffected.”

When The Hindu contacted professors for their response, Prof. Maiya declined comment, while Prof. Tiwari said: “The comments were made in a particular context. Most students are disciplined. Only a handful of them need more disciplining.”

While most of the professors on the mailing list observe that many students are by and large well-behaved, professors seem to sense a crisis on its way. Narayanswamy N.S., a professor and the warden of Tapti Hostel, says: a small quantity of “impurity” in water is “ok” but a larger amount is “not ok”, the latter referring to the current situation in IIT-M. “Your life in iitm is in the academic zone and in the sports fields and in clt and in sac and oat. The hostel is the place for you to sleep. the bathroom/toilet is where you get your privacy” is the message he conveys to students, who he thinks are pampered “in the name of their being elite."

[The references are to the Central Lecture Theatre, the Students' Affairs Council and Open Air Theatre, where academic, cultural and extra-cultural activities are held]

Professors like him are also concerned by what they term “experimentation” and decline in “values”. In a comment that may outrage many, Prof. Narayanaswamy says: “It will be too late when some fellows are found to be having ‘alternate sexual' preferences and also on drugs….and we will be left with no defence...”

A few students who gained access to the e-mails are clearly enraged. As a second year student put it: “This is only an extension of other steps taken to intrude upon our privacy on campus.” She said some of the comments were “vicious” and found the comment on alternative sexuality “homophobic”.

A post-graduate student said: “These e-mails reveal tendencies in the administration that are downright dictatorial. There seems to be not an iota of democratic spirit in these faculty members. I find the comment on our parents to be particularly disgusting.” L.S. Ganesh, dean, student affairs, said that the correspondence reflects only the views of the individuals, and not that of the institution.

“We support the principle that these wardens stand by, not their words because that might have been only for effect.” He added: “Warden and hostel directors are answerable to the parents. They need authority to handle this responsibility. We have to give them certain moral rights over the students to propagate a healthy culture in the institute.”

The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : IIT-M may enforce more norms

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I agree with some of the lecturer's points regarding the students, however I also agree with some of the students' points of view.

There is a growing disconnect between faculty and students (not just in IITs, mind you) and a lot of it has to do with the fact that students are less mature at age 21 today than they were years ago, mainly because a focus on academics at a young age (I'm looking at you, dear JEE, AIEEE and other entrance examinations) all but blinds them to other aspects of life, especially the social part.

(Guess what? Keep talking to bookworms only and you forget there are other types of people in the world and a lot of them are actually better than you at some things!)

After passing out, experience in the real world will usually impart the required maturity, but during the study period, such problems are going to be more relevant in the coming future.

It all boils down to one thing, and it's something both parents and faculty should think about - why are we putting so much pressure on children at a young age? Coping with difficult situations before maturity will not have positive outcomes on the overall development of the person!

As for faculty, I think they should be less homophobic and try to adapt to changing times. Discipline is always a plus, but enforced harsh discipline is not.

The fact of life is that you either learn something for yourself or you ignore it for good. Thus, enforcing rules down anyone's throat will never work because they cannot accept something as fact which they have never seen or verified in their lives. :)

Sarath

iDota
I was like again the older gen misinterpreting everything wrong but then saw that kids queries. I mean who talks like that?
“For the next open forum, if at all there is one, we must get the questions screened by responsible students first”, he says, in order to ensure no “insulting or embarrassing question” is raised.
He says this, referring to ‘I am 21 and what is your (read Warden, CCW, DoS, Director) problem if I have sex with my girl friend or whoever it is in the hostel room?' and questions like that.

Shaligram Tiwari, another faculty member, goes further and brings parents into the picture.
Eternal golden tool!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
age 18 years:eligible to vote
age 21 years:not mature enough for physical relationship
age 25 years:eligible for legal alcohol drinking in capital delhi

conclusion:drinking is the most difficult task requiring maturity followed by physical relationships & choosing govt seems to be the task requiring least maturity.no wonder we have a history of such good governments.:sarcasm:

Sarath

iDota
Nice post whitestar
A little more in-depth examination:
‘I am 21 and what is your (read Warden, CCW, DoS, Director) problem if I have sex with my girl friend or whoever it is in the hostel room?'
or whoever it is in the hostel room? :shock:

and then this comes up and everyone's shocked: (lol)
It will be too late when some fellows are found to be having ‘alternate sexual' preferences

Student in "wiser than thou" mode -
As a second year student put it: ...found the comment on alternative sexuality “homophobic”
:facepalm: Isn't that obvious already

------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like IIT-M is going to be stricter than it already is.

But the amount of freedom they already have makes me feel like my hostel is a Nazi concentration camp (which is no exaggeration)

I got fined 500 bucks for coming to hostel late. Late = 8:15pm. From the in-campus restaurant.

:(

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Nice post whitestar
A little more in-depth examination:

or whoever it is in the hostel room? :shock:

and then this comes up and everyone's shocked: (lol)

You're thinking too much, buddy. :lol:
That ill advised comment probably came up due to student getting emotional and even possibly being made up by the so called profs.

As far as "Alternative sexuality" comment is concerned. :lol::lol::lol:
When your "best educational institute" is filled up with retards like that, no wonder your country's education system is a joke.

Sarath

iDota
IIT-M is known for two things, actually my friend ditched it for this very reason, even though this was the only IIT he was called for.

Strict faculty and d-head students. Looks like he was right.

Top Bottom