IFB dishwasher

smartmind0007

Broken In
my mother is really fed up of our maid now a days. she is so irregular. but without her there is no one to wash the heap of utensils that stay piled in the wash basin.
so came the idea of buying a dishwasher that would ease the daily pain of scraping food from the dishes. somebody please help me regarding the usefulness and the extent to which a dishwasher can be a kitchen mate. pls anyone.. !! thanks in advance.. :)

mrintech

Technomancer
I was searching for review and found this: CHOOSING A DISHWASHER Review, CHOOSING A DISHWASHER Price, Service Centre, CHOOSING A DISHWASHER India, Brand, Buying an IFB dishwasher nearly cost us our lives - MouthShut.com :neutral:

amohit

Broken In
We have recently(in Oct last week) bought the basic model of Bosch Dishwasher. According to my wife this has been the best purchase by me till date :)

It cleans most of the vessels properly. Only the things that have food burnt at the bottom or other vessels that have food stuck that generally would require some effort with steelwool cleaner or lot of scrubbing are the ones that wont get cleaned. Rest everything is cleaned properly.

The only flip side is what maids could clean in 20 mins, we can clean in 45 mins, dishwasher takes 2 hrs to clean. But then we plan our cleanings to start at the time when we are going to bed in the night and almost magically in the morning we have sparkling clean utensils to use :)

Regards,
Mohit

amohit

Broken In
2 hrs is too much IMO.

The cleaning cycles range from 1hr 15 mins to 2 hrs 30mins. The one which we run with full load of dishes last for 2 hrs.

It is high, but then (a) It cleans very well (b) We do not realize the amount of time it takes as we run it as last thing just before going to bed (c) Our electricity bill has gone up by 30-35 units per month since we got the dishwasher. That's roughly 1 unit per day.

Regards,
Mohit

abhidev

Human Spambot
We have recently(in Oct last week) bought the basic model of Bosch Dishwasher. According to my wife this has been the best purchase by me till date :)

It cleans most of the vessels properly. Only the things that have food burnt at the bottom or other vessels that have food stuck that generally would require some effort with steelwool cleaner or lot of scrubbing are the ones that wont get cleaned. Rest everything is cleaned properly.

The only flip side is what maids could clean in 20 mins, we can clean in 45 mins, dishwasher takes 2 hrs to clean. But then we plan our cleanings to start at the time when we are going to bed in the night and almost magically in the morning we have sparkling clean utensils to use :)

Regards,
Mohit

how much did it cost? and what abt the electric and space utilization??

amohit

Broken In
how much did it cost? and what abt the electric and space utilization??

I believe it costed 34k (or was it 32k. But in that range only). Space used is 2ftx2ftx3ft (lxbxh).

Electricity consumption went up by 45-50 units when we used it for a month with heavy cleaning option (2hrs45 mins cycle) . Since then we are using it at normal setting (2 hrs cycle) and our electricity bill has increased by an avg of 30-35 units.

Apart from this, the consumables Detergent + salt+shine cost Rs 600 (finish.co.in). Out of these, detergent and shine will come for 1.5 months and salt lasted us for 3 months.

SMS40E32EU is the model that we have.

Regards,
Mohit

d3p

PowerHouse
Dishwasher was never meant for indian food & indian cooking style.

Forget it & spend your money somewhere else.

open this link : *plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101572090631977474386/albums/5680471764100812401

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^ Damn scarry..

2 hours.. :? wtf.. I always had a thought to buy one but never thought it would be so costly..

johnybravojr

Broken In
Well, first of all, fire hazards are common with any electric appliance. If a Dishwasher can burn your house down, so can your Mobile Phone Charger!

Dishwashers, though ineffective on some Indian-style cooking, like heavily soiled and burned food stuck to the bottom of the utensils, is still useful. Though the cost is a bit high (I've been wondering, why does a washing machine with all the drum and stuff cost less than a dishwasher?), it can be justified.

Let me try to see how it works out:

Bosch SMS40E32EU Dishwasher: at Cromaretail Rs. 32,500
Cost of consumables: (assuming "Detergent + salt+shine cost Rs 600 (finish.co.in). Out of these, detergent and shine will come for 1.5 months and salt lasted us for 3 months" Rs. 4,000 (1,000 x 4 quarterly)
Electricity: (@ ~40 units/month->80 units bimonthly, taking into account the cost including taxes and excluding any other charges or subsidy in TN) Rs. 1,248 (208 x 4 quarters)
Water Softener: Usually recommended as its often hard water that is available at most places in India ~Rs. 3,000

So the total cost comes to Rs. 41,000 (rounded off; consumables and electricity calculated for one year for comparison)

Now, lets see what we get to deal with a maid:

1. Hard to find, let alone a good one.
2. Often unreliable(makes herself absent, especially the morning following a visit from a bunch of friends/relatives leaving the sink full of utensils)
3. Have to give her food, buy her dresses, lend her money every now and then that seldom gets repaid
4. Can't afford to let her face your bad day at work lest she'll stop coming
5. An extent of intrusion of your privacy
6. Gossip

Financially, I guess a maid would cost anywhere between Rs. 300 - 2,000 for doing dishes alone depending on many factors such as the size of family, number of times in a day, geographic location, community type(the rich, apartment-dwellers, college students, etc). So l'm blindly assuming the cost to be approximately Rs. 12,000 (1,000 x 12 months). Add to this, other factors such as bonus, 'loans', medical aid, clothes, educational assistance for her children, etc., which should work around to at least Rs. 8,000 per year. So you're gonna have to spend Rs. 20,000 on a maid per year for washing utensils alone, often at an added cost of dissatisfaction, unreliability, and total loss of peace of mind!

Leave the cost of hardware, and you're only spending just Rs. 5,500 per year on doing dishes with a small effort of arranging the dishes every night into the DW, and remembering to switch it on before going to bed. And complete peace of mind too!

Even if you get a maid for half the cost I have suggested(Rs. 20,000) in this post, running a DW is still cheaper by 50%.

You can also recruit a maid for the rest of the household work if required, and even make her operate the DW and the WM for no additional pay.

Top Bottom