IDC: Micromax close to overtaking Samsung in India

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
IDC released a report on the smartphone market in India and claims the country will become the world's second biggest smartphone market, displacing the US (which lost the lead to China in 2011).
Despite a sluggish overall phone market (21% growth year on year, 4% quarter on quarter), smartphones are exploding in India. Smartphone shipments in Q2 2013 are up 50% quarter on quarter and have nearly tripled compared to the same quarter last year (9.3 million smartphones were shipped during the quarter, compared to 3.5 million in Q2 last year).
*cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/13/08/idc-india-smartphones/gsmarena_001.jpg
Cheap 3G and 2.5G smartphones are displacing feature phones (IDC estimates smartphone ASP will fall under $200 by the end of the year). Dual-SIM functionality and large screens are the most sought after features. Devices with 5-7 inch screens accounted for 30% of the market, growing a whopping 17 times year over year.
Foreign companies are still going strong in India, but local brands like Micromax and Karbonn shipped over half of the smartphones in the country during the second quarter.
Samsung is still on top, with the Galaxy Star pointed out as a particularly hot seller, but the company's mid-range and even high-end phones are selling well too. Even the Galaxy Note II, thanks to the zero interest Equated Monthly Installment plans.
Then there's Micromax in second with over 2 million smartphones shipped and its Canvas line is seeing growing screen diagonals (the Canvas Doodle 2 has reached 5.7"). Karbonn comes in third with increasing shipments too and popular A and Titanium series.
Nokia is fourth with the Lumia 520 one of its best sellers (it's very popular around the world too). Sony has climbed back to fifth with good sales from its mid-rangers and affordable dual-SIMs.

Looks like its Clone vs Original lol xD

amjath

Human Spambot
Micromax took Samsung's strategy, flooded market with many phones [releasing/teasing a phone in 2 months]. Now that paid off.

Hrishi

Nokia on verge of extinction , Samsung loosing it's top position in future , Sony couldn't make it big, Iphone is still expensive , Moto left our country. And guess what MicroMax , and all the substandard quality phone distributers and re-branders are taking it up the ladder.

R.I.P. Quality! R.I.P. Innovation!R.I.P. A.S.S.! :(

amjath

Human Spambot
Nokia on verge of extinction , Samsung loosing it's top position in future , Sony couldn't make it big, Iphone is still expensive , Moto left our country. And guess what MicroMax , and all the substandard quality phone distributers and re-branders are taking it up the ladder.

R.I.P. Quality! R.I.P. Innovation!R.I.P. A.S.S.! :(

I disagree on Nokia's comments. They are making strong strategies to get back. Looking at the offers given to lumia 520 and 620 looks promising.
Only reason MMX getting on top and Nokia on the bottom is windows os. But I'm sure it ll change in near future.

amjath

Human Spambot
^^^ with that tiles onscreen , in my opinion clearly impossible

Common sense is that, 512MB ram of Windows phone can do wonder that android couldn't [talking about skinned android not stock].

Fact/truth is that mid end and lower end android phone owners are frustrated with lags

rosemolr

Journeyman
Common sense is that, 512MB ram of Windows phone can do wonder that android couldn't [talking about skinned android not stock].

Fact/truth is that mid end and lower end android phone owners are frustrated with lags

@^ The above statement make sense.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
I dont want a M$ os from nokia anymore, M$ is putting nokia in coffin. Nokia plz join the droid force & smash all of plastic....

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^nokia has a few alternatives
It has email, social networking, IM, maps, standby time of weeks and BT file transfer
It's called a feature phone. Then there is asha series.

roypurohit

Broken In

:+1: My Xperia Arc S lags a lot (even with Gingerbread 2.3 OS)... now thinking to throw away...

root.king

geek in action
lol there was a time when only a few people knew about phones other than nokia...........R.I.P.!

.......Rofl

r u the only saying or everybody , coz I'm happy with my galaxy Y even after 10months of usage

Install a custom ROM lol
Then your phone will fly ;)

yup ,,,,,,,,

Flash

Lost in speed
Micromax attracted consumers with "Big screen phones at low cost". (i.e., Canvas series).
That's where their trick is and it rocketed them up..

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Nokia on verge of extinction
beg to differ. they have re-entered into the market with exciting phones.
^^^ with that tiles onscreen , in my opinion clearly impossible
have you even used a lumia yet? thats a very narrow view.
true. a low-mid end android phone is a joke.

r u the only saying or everybody , coz I'm happy with my galaxy Y even after 10months of usage
you cant even install chrome on that crap. would love to know what n how many apps have you installed
Micromax attracted consumers with "Big screen phones at low cost". (i.e., Canvas series).
yup. canvas series is the mmx's answer to Galaxy series. n its working.

amjath

Human Spambot

Depends on ur usage. I clearly mentioned that I'm talking about stock rom comes with phone not custom ROMs. There are many people who don't know to root(not pointing anyone), in that case their only hope is the skinned rom

amjath

Human Spambot
true. a low-mid end android phone is a joke.

they serve a purpose, if ur usage is limited its good. But people want their low end phone to do all things which high end is doing. If u want HTC Dream to run jellybean 4.3, u need to keep dreaming

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz

I agree.I was suckered in for that very reason.However my experience has been surprisingly not awful.Not good but not too bad either.Still working even after 18 months.LOL

Top Bottom