IBM to buy out AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Well, its just a rumour as of now, but still what do you think?

Source: *www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/23/rumours-big-blue-buyout-boost

Pathik

Google Bot
Just a rumour.
But imagine what would happen if IBM gets AMD+ATi for less than what AMD paid for ATi. :D

OP
lywyre

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Well, IBM does have experience with processors and with desktops etc. But still, if this is real and happens, what could be the possibilites? Could this further fuel processor wars again.

There is nothing new from Intel lately without much competition from AMD. They are just rolling out cheaper versions of dual/multi core processors (Celeron) and the tech sites are full of reviews of cheap intel processors and how to overclock them. Its kinda of boring, you know.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
IBM will create a hybrid of PowerPC and Phenom then ? :confused: :confused:

I still think that the equations below are not good. :D

PowerPC + Athlon = BOOM! :D :D
PowerPC + Phenom = KABOOM!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:
I don't think IBM will buy AMD. They are not showing intrests in consumer desktops/notebooks. They already sold out their thinkpad range to lenovo. They want to remain "International Business Machines" for ever, not "International Machines". The Servers they sell are good enough IMO.

But if they DO buy AMD, I guess IBM will regret selling thinkpad to lenovo.
And I think Apple, Microsoft and Intel will stand no chance against IBM then. They will just have to bow to the pressure from the CREATORS of the PC with the hyper powerful PowerPC combined with technologies from Phenom, Athlon, Opteron, etc and ATI Cards, as well as from IBM's Linux Distributions, which already create waves in the Mainframe world. If z/OS in Mainframes was great, the new OS they will make for PCs will be even greater.

BUT REMEMBER, THIS IS ALL A RUMOUR. IBM WILL NEVER BUY AMD, AS IT IS OF NO STRATIGICAL ADVANTAGE TO THEM. AT MOST, THEY MAY BUY THE SERVER COMPONENT UNIT OF AMD, BUT DEFINITELY NOT PHENOM AND ATHLON.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
AMD shares gain on IBM takeover speculation
Advanced Micro Devices shares rose as much as 8 percent Wednesday (Jan. 23) on speculation that the microchip maker might be bought by IBM, but analysts said the chances of an acquisition were slim.

Spokesmen for IBM and AMD, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., declined to comment on the rumor.

Shares of AMD, the second-largest maker of microprocessors after Intel Corp, added as much as 55 cents to $7.39 and were up 23 cents or 3.4 percent at $7.07 in afternoon trading. International Business Machines Corp stock was down $1.73 or 1.7 percent at $99.58 on the New York Stock Exchange.

"The takeover of AMD by IBM has been mentioned before and with AMD shares being so low, it might be a good time for IBM to acquire them," said William Lefkowitz, options strategist at brokerage firm vFinance Investments in New York.

AMD call options were trading higher than usual because of the rumor, he added.

IBM of Armonk, New York, has had a research and development expense-sharing agreement with AMD, and analysts have speculated that AMD might want to use IBM's East Fishkill, New York, chip-fabrication plant to build microprocessors.

An acquisition of AMD would be "a pretty low-probability event because IBM is moving away from hardware and manufacturing and moving to software and solutions," said Ashok Kumar, an analyst at CRT Capital Group. "I don't think IBM wants the bragging rights to go up against Intel."

Source

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
These takeover rumors bumping share market reports are coming too often! First, and only last week, was the one of Microsoft taking over Logitech and now this. Its stupidity, or some sort of a scam.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
I really hope this happens. AMD has been taking a serious beating over the past couple of years. If something doesnt change soon AMD is a dead duck.

OP
lywyre

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
If this does not happen, and if AMD does not get stronger by itself, Intel is gonna give us rip off Celeron chips for eternity. We need a strong AMD to push Intel, because we need more juicy processors to run newer MS OSs

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
But i doubt, if IBM gets it, then will AMD remain a gud vfm option? for end users?
And AMD can concentrate moe on research nd with the financial help of IBM, then can stast new projects or better fabication centres. ANd they can easily develop fabrication centres for their so called 'wet processing' for 45nm nd even lower fabrications. Now their only problem is then dun have the starting investment for newer fabrication equipments.
And, ATI's cards availability nd production rate is gonna increase to meet the demand nd keep the gamerz happy.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
The way things go AMD will shut down sooner than later.

AMDs Phenoms coulnt even compete with Q6600 and Quad Extreme is way too far.

Intel already in line for research sub 35 nm Proccys as I read somewhere. 32 nm if I am not wrong with 8 Cores.

AMD is still fiddling with 65 nm.

On gfx Part ATi 3800 Series looking "Ok" but with 8800 GT 256 MB coming now or maybe a bit later and in Feb 9xxx coming they are as good as dead.

Well when AMD dies we will have to deal with inferiot products at higher prices as there is no one to compete.....

Intel selling stripped down version for Desktops and costing bomb for the real thing and same with nVidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom