IBM forays into Open source world with Lotus Symphony !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Here cometh the Big Blue"....*forums.erodov.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

IBM plans to mount its most ambitious challenge in years to Microsoft's dominance of personal computer software, by offering free programs for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations.

The company is announcing the desktop software, called IBM Lotus Symphony, at an event Tuesday in New York. The programs will be available as free downloads from the IBM Web site.

Main subdivisions of the Lotus symphony:

1. Lotus Symphony Documents

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/2125/1.gif

2. Lotus Symphony Presentations

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/2126/2.gif

3. Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/small/2127/3.gif

In the 1990s, IBM failed in an effort to compete head-on with Microsoft in personal computer software with its OS/2 operating system and its SmartSuite office productivity programs.

But IBM is taking a different approach this time. Its offerings are versions of open-source software developed in a consortium called OpenOffice.org. The original code traces its origins to a German company, Star Division, which Sun Microsystems bought in 1999. Sun later made the desktop software, now called StarOffice, an open-source project, in which work and code are freely shared.

Last week, IBM declared that it was formally joining the open-source group, had dedicated 35 full-time programmers to the project and would contribute code to the initiative.

Free office productivity software has long been available from OpenOffice.org, and the open-source alternative has not yet made much progress against Microsoft's Office.

IBM is also joining forces with Google, which offers the open-source desktop productivity programs as part of its Google Pack of software. Google supports the same document formats in its online word processor and spreadsheet service.

Quote:
"Three major players--IBM, Google and Sun--are now solidly behind a potential competing standard to Office," said Rob Koplowitz, an analyst at Forrester Research.
Open source is becoming a rage these days, at the same time companies like Microsoft are coming out with answers for the open source products.

Also IBM's open source involvement has not been trouble-free till now though. However the this alliance between Sun, Google and now IBM may give the tech world a successful product in the field of open source.

Source: I.B.M. to Offer Office Software Free in Challenge to Microsoft’s Line - New York Times

See the features of IBM's Symphony here: IBM Lotus Symphony

Originally posted by: Prash

Hah.. I remember those good old days when I used to work on Lotus in DOS:-D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Create high impact presentations by adding transition effects to your slide shows.

Add animation effects to the elements on your slides.

Create a custom slide show by hiding or showing specific slides.

Add tables, charts, graphics, and graphical text to your slides.

Using Lotus Symphony Presentations, you can create basic or enhanced presentations.
^^ :D :lol: the first version of powerpoint has been doing that ... gimme something new ;)

OP
Help~Is~Here

Help~Is~Here

Banned
iMav said:
^^ :D :lol: the first version of powerpoint has been doing that ... gimme something new ;)

You just don't get it do you? It's not about something new. It's about an alternative to your inseperable sweetheart Microsoft's paid office!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
coz they arent as good nor better than u know what ;) so why are companies like ibm wanting to waste resources when they wont be able to cut the ice .... rather use the resources some where lese .... like making the existing open office suite better rather having their won :)

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Alternatives are always good for the consumers.Look how much pressure open office has put on M$ Office and the result M$ will have to keep their software as bug free as possible and also lower the prices just to prevent their existing customers from shifting to somewhat basic but free counterparts.

OP
Help~Is~Here

Help~Is~Here

Banned
iMav said:
coz they arent as good nor better than u know what ;) so why are companies like ibm wanting to waste resources when they wont be able to cut the ice .... rather use the resources some where lese .... like making the existing open office suite better rather having their won :)

shees... This closed mentally of yours is seriously not going to help you dude.. if you think that having more alternatives is a waste, then we all shouldn't waste money in any development of more products in the future at all!! Intel shouldn't have bought out the quad core processors, they should have just worked to make the single cores better!! what a logic!! Feel pity for your thoughts iMav.

And you are like a false palmist predicting that nothing will be better than MS office! Dude, open office developed into something absolutely competitive from nothing. Now if you think that development taken further won't make it better than MS office, then again I have to pity your blind MS fanboyism predictions! Lotus Symphony has just been released, and look who's saying that it won't be better than office when he hasn't even tried it out? What more of a worse comment than that!

I Pity your fanboyism iMav. really..:cool:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well all im saying is that if u want to compete with some 1 like as big as MS why come up 5-6 different versions rather come up with 1 solid 1 ... theres open office then there is this lotus better than that take up 1 project and compete

dont pity my fanboyism .... use ur brains to understand what im trying to say ....

ur talking abt quad core ... dude quad core brings something new its a new technology its better not like this lotus suite that does the same bloody things that open office does

OP
Help~Is~Here

Help~Is~Here

Banned
iMav said:
well all im saying is that if u want to compete with some 1 like as big as MS why come up 5-6 different versions rather come up with 1 solid 1 ... theres open office then there is this lotus better than that take up 1 project and compete

This is one thing that is a bit non-existent in the OSS world for you closed source dudes. Competition is really not necessary in the OSS world, becasue no one is making profit out of one selling more. Competion is there in the true spirit of it to make it better, but not to compete with someone else for glory! So a million alternatives is not going to make any difference! You choose what you like. Simple as that rather than being left without options and end up being forced to choose something you don't like. Very evident MS thoughts reflected in your comments iMav.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
nice to see this initiative from IBM :) i dunno why some ppl cry for features when even 1/4th of the features are not utilized. but still they either wanna buy the costly suite or pirate it! i fail to understand some ppl's mentality!

exactly! comptt. is non-existant in the OSS world. its all about alternatives!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@HiH: making better :lol: :lol: lotus is better than what :?: and we all know who makes sure that u cant choose what u like and have to use hardware; software; operator of a baldy's choice

@infra: 1/4th of features might not be utilized by u doesnt mean others dont ;)

OP
Help~Is~Here

Help~Is~Here

Banned
iMav said:
ur talking abt quad core ... dude quad core brings something new its a new technology its better not like this lotus suite that does the same bloody things that open office does

What is this, one of your new predictions that it won't have anything new? For the love of God, first try it out and comment on it rather than talking like someone who has used it for a million years with no knowledge of it!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ya right making single cores better :lol: ab yaar aapko main kya bolun ... if u think a single core can be made to work as good as quad core ... ur up for the top honors in technology ;) ... single core as good as quad core :lol:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
iMav said:
@HiH: making better :lol: :lol: lotus is better than what :?: and we all know who makes sure that u cant choose what u like and have to use hardware; software; operator of a baldy's choice

Lotus is the de-facto all-in-one office application. 9/10 respectable organisations would be using lotus notes and lotus domino server. Dude.. we are talking about IBM. All of their software are so "in" the market. Heard of their Websphere, Tivoli and Rational suite of software? You never know when their office suite gains similar popularity!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:

seriously yes! i hafnt seen a single person who's using more than that in powerpoint (be it for personal use or for corporate). again, yes i'm not claiming that everything does that. see my post i'm talking about "some ppl".

nobody is comparing the products to powerpoint here. thats the whole point! and the fanboys fail to get it. why is every new product treated as a threat to MS products? do they feel so insecure abt MS' products? nobody here said that this new suite from IBM will wash away MS office! then why fight? i didn't see anything provoking here too!!! its just an alternative to the paid suite thats it!

seriously some ppl will never change! their perspective is flawed....

Last edited:
OP
Help~Is~Here

Help~Is~Here

Banned
iMav said:
ya right making single cores better :lol: ab yaar aapko main kya bolun ... if u think a single core can be made to work as good as quad core ... ur up for the top honors in technology ;) ... single core as good as quad core :lol:

Can't differentiate between sarcasm and truth!!.. sad fanboys:D :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
theres a fundamental issue with OSS supporters ... if they come up with something and if its said to be not as good then will speak of monopoly, drm and now they say its not abt competition ....

u want to come up with something better please do so and OSS can do that if they come together ;) ... as i said make something better be innovative ... making a free alternative isnt innovation ... make something better than what is existing ...

sarcasm :lol: ... single core:quad core::eek:pen office:lotus :lol: ... there is no analogy ;)

OP
Help~Is~Here

Help~Is~Here

Banned
iMav said:
theres a fundamental issue with OSS supporters ... if they come up with something and if its said to be not as good then will speak of monopoly, drm and now they say its not abt competition ....

u want to come up with something better please do so and OSS can do that if they come together ;) ... as i said make something better be innovative ... making a free alternative isnt innovation ... make something better than what is existing ...

Who's talking about innovation? Who told that this is something innovative? What are you upto iMav, are you trying to say what you think we are thinking?:rolleyes:

Like I said in the beginning. This is not about competition or innovation. It's just another alternative wheather you like it or not. Go use your sweethearts office if you don't want to use this! Who's forcing you and who is even asking you? This is just an alternative as of now!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
... as i said make something better be innovative ... making a free alternative isnt innovation
plz point me where is this suite termed as an "innovation"!!!???!

iMav said:
... make something better than what is existing ...
it is a free suite which does all that most ppl want from the paid suite. thats it and i think, its no less than "making something better".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom