IBM forays into Open source world with Lotus Symphony !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@HiH: im gonna use office 2k7 for sure .... but i wud love to use something better which i think only MS can come up with ... whilst ur lotus as u said is an alternative it will only remain an alternative to open office ....

@infra no is claiming that this is innovative i said that ibm shud have used their resources along with open office to make open office better and innovative rather than coming up with their own alternative to open office which is nothing new just another office suite like open office ... ;) read bhai read

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
im gonna use office 2k7 for sure ....
then what are you doing in this thread? its not about O2k7.

iMav said:
but i wud love to use something better which i think only MS can come up with ... whilst ur lotus as u said is an alternative it will only remain an alternative to open office ....
thanks for ur worthless expert views! :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i thought some 1 as big as ibm wud have something better than office 2k7 but alas! ... :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
@infra no is claiming that this is innovative i said that ibm shud have used their resources along with open office to make open office better and innovative rather than coming up with their own alternative to open office which is nothing new just another office suite like open office ... ;) read bhai read
it was you who was asking someone to come up wid something innovative? how do you know that it won't contain any features more than Oo_Org? haf you seen or compared the code? ibm was working wid OO team, so obvisouly they are not fools to repackage the same thing wid a new brand name!

iMav said:
i thought some 1 as big as ibm wud have something better than office 2k7 but alas! ... :D
yes, it did. its brought out a free alternative wid features which most ppl use.

you don't get the OSS philosophy of alternatives. you'll never understand. no point in feeding the troll!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
yaar .... second post mein lotus k features listed hain .. they are frm lotus ka site ... kya naya hai ... same thing ... wohi mithai naye dabey mein ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
yaar .... second post mein lotus k features listed hain .. they are frm lotus ka site ... kya naya hai ... same thing ... wohi mithai naye dabey mein ;)
lekin jo free mein bat raha hai. and you still hafnt seen the decoration on the mithai yet! :) so we can't comment on it. all we know is that the mithai will come decorated wid IBM toppings in packed box distributed free of cost!

btw, this is a duplicate post. nucleuskore has already posted about ibm symphony yester: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68525

went to the download page for downloading. i see that XP, vista are supported on the windows platform. only suse and RH are supported as far as linux distro's are concerned none of the debian based distros are supported yet. and boy! look at the min. hardware requirements: 900mb and 1gb ram minimum!!! damn!! thats heavy and very heavy... its surely not openoffice.. there's much more to it... but imho, the minimum requirements are too much!!

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
iMav said:
@HiH: im gonna use office 2k7 for sure .... but i wud love to use something better which i think only MS can come up with ... whilst ur lotus as u said is an alternative it will only remain an alternative to open office ....
Yes, the rest of the world is full of idiots. People who try to use OSS are fools, as they are loosing the chance of using the "oh so great" MS products. MS rules. Others will bite the dust. One day all OSS people will understand what sin they have comitted by doubting the capability of MS. Im truly converted by the "oh so great" argument provided by iMav. I agree with whatever iMav says.

Can we please move on now? :rolleyes:

din

Tribal Boy
Great news. Will give a try for sure.

@iMav

Here is a post by GX where he kept all his weapons down and felt helpless

I have given feedback to MS 2 times, first one was for the first 3 changes, then rest 5. All I got it in reply was "Thanx for the feedback, we would like to consider these changes in next version of our products. Please provide further feedback as applicable"

This is the from the Vista feature request thread !!!!

Now, it may be your turn lol

Try to remove the 'MS' specatcles you wear and see the beauty of real world and all alternatives ;)

@iMav again

Please enlighten us the 'great' features only MS office has which are very essential to normal user / corporate user and missing in all other alternative office suites. We would love to hear that. Also, please include your experience, I mean in your office, you had to use MS office as the 'feature' you wanted is missing in all other alternatives. List them plzzzzz...

[Edit]

Oh, i forgot !! I am an IBM certified professional. I think time to become a fanboy lol.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Is it open source?
Otherwise too, more the competition better for the consumer. Even if they decide to keep their applications closed they should open up their file formats for better interoperability with other office suites who care to support their formats.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
din said:
Here is a post by GX where he kept all his weapons down and felt helpless

I have given feedback to MS 2 times, first one was for the first 3 changes, then rest 5. All I got it in reply was "Thanx for the feedback, we would like to consider these changes in next version of our products. Please provide further feedback as applicable"
so what did u expect from MS .... u thoguht they wud ask gx from where did those "splendid" suggestions come and then they wud thinkdigit form and give each of a million dollars for the sugeestions :lol: :lol: they took a note of it its with them now the developers will choose whether they want to implement them or not .... ;)
din said:
Try to remove the 'MS' specatcles you wear and see the beauty of real world and all alternatives
i asked the same thing in different words and i was told that this is not for competing with office and this isnt anything innovative go thru the thread ...
din said:
Please enlighten us the 'great' features only MS office has which are very essential to normal user / corporate user and missing in all other alternative office suites. We would love to hear that. Also, please include your experience, I mean in your office, you had to use MS office as the 'feature' you wanted is missing in all other alternatives. List them plzzzzz...
google karlo yaar .... ;)

din

Tribal Boy
@iMav

LOL, as expected !! Totally different answers

1. The answer GX received - classic example of how MS treat MVP or whetever. You will get the same answer as any other guy get - even if you are MVP / Blind supporter of MS / Employee of MS. They will never consider something that does not bring them $$$$$. Look at the thread and you will understand what I meant. Like how it started, how GX posts were and how "nice" his last post about the response from MS ;)

2. MS spects and innovation.

I didn't see any one claiming 'innovation' anywhere in this thread. May be coz I am old, please show me where I missed the 'innovation' part ;)

This is about a good alternative office suite and nothing about new / innovative. People who spend a huge amount of $$$ or using pirated softwares can sure use this one. That is the main advantage. And it support documents created in MS format too.

Thats the point I mentioned, Only MS products are good, only MS can make something good, only MS can compete in things - these kinda remarks are the best example of using the 'MS Spectacle' lol. Hope it clears the confusion.

iMav said:
google karlo yaar .... ;)
Another classic example of immaturity !!

Look at your own post in the first page of the same thread

iMav said:
@infra: 1/4th of features might not be utilized by u doesnt mean others dont ;)
That means you know (or you pretend you know !) there are some features only in "MS Office" and not in the alternative office suits. When you make such a remark, it is your responsibility to give proof of what you tell and it is not Googles responsibility !!! Do not contradict your own statements.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
im not in mood to type long posts talking abt features and then u or some 1 else will scrutinize them i will counter it and blah blah u know the drill ;) as far as innovation point was concerned infra also asked me the same question and i told him ... go thru the thread u will find ur innovation query answered ...

din

Tribal Boy
@iMav

I understand, really understand ;)

When you post something, give links, proof, details - let it be long, let it be descriptive. If I post like - Windows is bad, it is really bad - what will be your reaction ? You will sure expect me to give a reason for my post right ? I was asking the same.

Do not just post like - This is just crap, it does not have features which I really need - without listing the exact features you meant. I respect GX more in this matter as he post details and his justification most of the time.

Regarding innovation - Still I have no clue anyone mentioned innovation in this thread other than you !! You only started it !!

Try to download it if you are interested, then use it for a while, compare it with other office suits, then post details which will be helpful to other users.

If you are not interested at all, if you want to stick with MS office, no problems at all. No one is forcing you, but without using it, don't just start commenting on it, plzzz

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
go to the second post ... the features are listed ... i dont need to use it to comment on the so called features that it has .... i know those features since the past 8 years and as far as showing u what office 2k7 has over this lotus suite ... i think i will have to find the time to show it u ;)

din

Tribal Boy
LOL

That was a clever way to divert the topic !!!

I was expecting you to list some features that is only in MS office, which are very essential for normal / corporate user (atleast your posts were all sounds like you know there are some)

Now you are asking me to check the features of Lotus Symphony

lol, man you are really funny ;)

Meantime, I think we better stop this. No use in diverting the thread and topic.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
stop this sh!t ppl.. stop feeding trolls and stick to the topic. almost all new threads eventually end up in the garbage bin. ppl forget what the actual/original post is all about.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
dude 140 mb takes time to dwonload ;)

in the meanwhile go thru this page: *www.merawindows.com/Forums/tabid/324/forumid/-1/threadid/14559/scope/posts/Default.aspx

din

Tribal Boy
Sorry for being immature for some time.

Going to check how the suit work and will try to post the details.

Peace :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom