i5 4430 OR fx 8350 + a new motherboard required

sksundram

In the zone
i5 4430 OR fx 8350 + Gaming PC @ 40K

I need to assemble a new GAMING PC and so decided to go with AMD fx 8350 (since this is the flagship model with great gaming performance) but when i saw some TDF members to suggest i5 4430 also for some OPs, I got confused.
Since i am neither an AMD or Intel fan-boy and just want the pure raw performance, which CPU and MOTHERBOARD should I go for.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming @ Ultra Settings with healthy frame rates (50+), Games - BF3, Crysis 3, Metro 2034

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 40K, No

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes (Both CPU and GPU)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 8 64-bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: NO

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: OS,HDD,Optical Drive,Keyboard+Mouse,Speaker

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Before July End

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: The built shall be done by me

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: New Delhi, Yes - from Nehru Place, I am open to buy ONLINE

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Case should have at least 2 front USB 3.0

Last edited:
If you haven't bought remaining parts, you can move this thread to "PC configuration" sub-forum and get suggestions on complete config.

if ram performance is needed, nothing comes in way of Fx 8350. But this could also depend on what application will you be using.

OP
sksundram

sksundram

In the zone
i will be using it purely for GAMING @ ultra high settings
btw i have requested to move it to "PC Configuration" thread

ankush28

Bazinga
your budget is too low for your requirenents i5 is better option for you but in 40k you want everything you should try to increase by 10-15k
or this is my suggetion
Intel i5-4430 @ 12k
Asus H87M-E @ 7.5k
G.Skill RipjawsX 4 GB @ 2.2k
Sapphire HD 7770 @ 7.6k
Seasonic S12 520watt @ 3.8
NZXT gamma @ 2.2k
Toshiba 500GB hdd @ 2.9k
Asus DRW 24B3ST @ 1k
Dell IN2030M @ 6k
Logitech k200 @ 0.4k
Lenovo M6811 laser mice @ 0.65
still it goes ~ 45k
you should increase budget upto 50-60k and try to get better graphic card
for monitor dell s2240l ips 21.5"

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think FX-8350 is a better option than i5 4430. FX-8350 does have very good multi-threaded performance, in fact better than i5 3570K which is more powerful than i5 4430. Also it will enable you to overclock your CPU to gain extra performance which is not possible with the Intel solution. Regarding gaming, I think you have already noticed the thrends for gaming being multi-core optimized an Crysis 3 is a perfect example of it. In this game, FX-8350 performs similar to i7 3770K and with mild overclocking (4.4 GHz) can overtake it.

FX-8350 + Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 should be the the choice of yours.

ankush28

Bazinga
OP get FX 6300 + a good graphic card if only needed for gaming as neither i5 nor fx 8350 will fit in your budget

OP
sksundram

sksundram

In the zone
OK so let's say i just abandon Monitor, HDD, Optical Drive, Keyboard+Mouse for the moment (i will buy it later).

CPU- fx 8350
GPU - SAPPHIRE HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB
Motherboard - ??

I don't want to compromise on the above four. Suggest me a good CASE, MOBO and PSU for the above mentioned config so that CPU+GPU+RAM+MOBO+CASE+PSU falls under 40K

Also, is SAPPHIRE HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5 a good card and if YES then should i go with 1GB or 2GB version VRAM. It would be also helpful if u guys just quote the lowest price for these components. TIA

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
OK so let's say i just abandon Monitor, HDD, Optical Drive, Keyboard+Mouse for the moment (i will buy it later).

CPU- fx 8350
GPU - SAPPHIRE HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB
Motherboard - ??

I don't want to compromise on the above four. Suggest me a good CASE, MOBO and PSU for the above mentioned config so that CPU+GPU+RAM+MOBO+CASE+PSU falls under 40K

Also, is SAPPHIRE HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5 a good card and if YES then should i go with 1GB or 2GB version VRAM. It would be also helpful if u guys just quote the lowest price for these components. TIA

if you are looking at future proofing, get haswell no two ways about it. Because you will have to upgrade to pci.e. 4 in 2016

to be honest, it doesnt really make sense to go for a amd processor. Specially since intel beats the amd in gaming. If i were to suggest a processor i would say go for the 6300 and a cheap mobo. Save some cash and use it in the next pc build.

also to add haswell is a 22nm design, where as amd is .... so according to me.. haswell chipset is a good future proof option as we do not know what amd will bring to the table. And amd cpus generally pull a lot of power from the wall, not to mention cooling issues with overclock. ( from what is being said by amd, they will release a 5ghz factory clocked cpu )

haswell -> broadwell. ( same socket )

thegeek

Broken In
Processor - AMD FX6100 7300

Motherboard - MSI 760GM ₹2899

Graphic Card -
Sapphire ATI HD 7770 ₹8555

RAM -
Corsair DDR3 (1 x 4gb) ₹2299

Hard Disk -
Seagate 500 GB ₹3295

Monitor -
S2240L 21.5 inch ₹9396 (IMO you should get a 20inch from Dell, cuz bigger monitor = slower games)

Power Supply -
Corsair VS550 ₹3500

DVD Writer -
Asus DRW ₹1119

Mouse -
Lenovo M6811 USB 2.0 ₹657

Keyboard -
Logitech K100 ₹409

Cabinet - Cooler Master Elite 310 (Get from Nehru Place)
₹2000

TOTALS -
₹41,429

OP
sksundram

sksundram

In the zone
@NoasArcAngel PCI-e 4.0 will be available in late 2015 and as you said intel beats amd, then suggest me a good intel CPU under 10k/12K which beats fx 8350 and provide the link also.

@thegeek plz READ my 3rd Post :razz:

Last edited:

thegeek

Broken In
View attachment 11286

Good decision ! Get the best possible CPU + GPU for now.
Check out the attached benchmarks...Intel i5 3470 clearly beets Amd FX 8350
So, here is how the configuration looks right now -

Processor - Intel i5 3470 ₹12,400

Motherboard -
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H ₹4350

Graphic Card -
Gigabyte ATI 7850 OC 2 GB ₹15333

RAM -
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (1 x 8 GB) ₹4650

Power Supply -
Corsair VS650 ₹4600

Cabinet - Cooler Master Elite 310 ₹2000

TOTALS - 43,333

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
@NoasArcAngel PCI-e 4.0 will be available in late 2015 and as you said intel beats amd, then suggest me a good intel CPU under 10k/12K which beats fx 8350 and provide the link also.

@thegeek plz READ my 3rd Post :razz:

*media.bestofmicro.com/9/G/364516/original/CPU-scaling.png

dont saying you go for i3.. but...

*gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Tomb%20Raider/test/TR%20proz.jpg

@NoasArcAngel; please dont consider only the processor's performance and price, consider the full cost of ownership and the parts which may be bought with them keeping the budget constant.

OP
sksundram

sksundram

In the zone
ok i got it...but what about future games which will surely be optimized for more cores? wouldn't it be right to go with 8350? also "thegeek" suggested me to go with 3rd gen processor. i don't think it's a right choice. I would go for 4th gen CPU rather than a 3rd gen and since haswell and broadwell will have same socket, give me the exact Haswell based processor model which beats 8350.

MAN! still i am so confused:meditate:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
@NoasArcAngel; please dont consider only the processor's performance and price, consider the full cost of ownership and the parts which may be bought with them keeping the budget constant.

its only here, and i find it really odd. dont take it personally. That people suggest 6-8k motherboards with a processor which is costing 12k . What the heck?! you dont need such a feature rich board. unless you want to overvolt, anything is fine. And if you overvolt then get a better psu .

you tell me, what is the difference between a gigabye b75m board which costs 4k and the asus / asrock which costs 7k/9k. ? keeping apart overclocking... i think both serve the purpose equally, unless you want bragging rights. So why not save money and go for the former ?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Intel Core i5-3450 - 10400
Intel DZ75ML-45K - 4663
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL - 2100
Sapphire HD7870 XT 2GB Boost - 18000
Corsair GS600 - 4799
Corsair Carbide 200R - 3449

Total - 43411

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
ok i got it...but what about future games which will surely be optimized for more cores? wouldn't it be right to go with 8350? also "thegeek" suggested me to go with 3rd gen processor. i don't think it's a right choice. I would go for 4th gen CPU rather than a 3rd gen and since haswell and broadwell will have same socket, give me the exact Haswell based processor model which beats 8350.

MAN! still i am so confused:meditate:

core optimization is a marketing term. If you have a 4 core processor, you are fine. really. As far as i am concerned you dont want anything more than that.

i think that its safe to assume that since i5 3rd gen beats 8350 and i5 haswell > i5 3rd gen, i5 haswell >> 8350.

you can search google for benchmarks, if you want.

Intel Core i5-3450 - 10400
Intel DZ75ML-45K - 4663
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL - 2100
Sapphire HD7870 XT 2GB Boost - 18000
Corsair GS600 - 4799
Corsair Carbide 200R - 3449

Total - 43411

+1 config. This is a great config if you want to upgrade your pc next time in 2016.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
its only here, and i find it really odd. dont take it personally. That people suggest 6-8k motherboards with a processor which is costing 12k . What the heck?! you dont need such a feature rich board. unless you want to overvolt, anything is fine. And if you overvolt then get a better psu .

better boards are a necessity especially for 125w cpus.

My computer burst into flames! MSI 890GXM-G65
About VRMs & Mosfets / Motherboard Safety with 125W+ TDP processors
AMD Motherboards - VRM info database

Top Bottom