i want to transfer files... but how????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansraj

In the zone
My problem has arised due to the improving technology day by day.... earlier i had a landline and i used to make use of the phoneline and the hyperterminal in XP to send and recieve small files anywhere in india by dialling the desired number. Now i have switched over to wireless Tata indicom walky and RIM for surfing and dont have the landline anymore. Guys..... sorry geeks..... i dont want to use the file sharers and yahoo msg .... can anyone tell me of any software which can send my files directly to other pc instantly....

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Use some p2p. Just make a torrent file and then upload that to some free torrent trackers. Now give that link to your friends, and start seeding that file, the person to whom you want to send can download that.

Or u can use some p2p like AREs, e-donkey, where you can put that file in the sharing folder and u can ask the fellow to download that (and you upload that).

Or there are many other softwares for this purpose, but these two seem interesting to me.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
A good old ftp server in ur comp will do too.
Or u can use limewire and use the directconnect feature in it.

cyrux

In the zone
why not set a http server instead . Its simple and easy. For FTP server u need to get a client server first and give out you static IP address to some body whom the files need to be shared

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Both ftp and http will work.

@expertno1:
Here's how. If u are using xp pro, then first install the iis server. For this, go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Windows Components->Internt Information Server. Here, double click on the entry and select either ftp service or www service. U may have to use ur xp cd.

After this, go to Administrative services->Internet Information Server, expand the tree, right-click on the "default ftp site" (or default http, if u chose www) node and select properties. Here u can either specify a username&password or allow anonymous access, set read write access, set listening port, etc.
Now put the files u want to share via ftp (or http) inside "C:\inetpub\ftproot" (or wwwroot).

In the client side, use any browser and type ftp://serverIP (or *ServerIP, incase u have http server).

harish_21_10

In the zone
I have a question regarding this server setting...i dont have a static ip adderess,so can the peolpe who are not on network with me on a common hub(that provides us internet) view and download files that i have in my server shared folder?If no then how can get a static address?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
No need to have a static ip if u are doing a single session with a friend. I assume u ring/email him the time u will be online, IP and, optionally, usrname & pwd.

If u are doing this in a lan environment, u can assign ur nic card a static (albeit, private) ip.

harish_21_10

In the zone
But after setting up an FTP server on my sys. the friend of mine who is on the same network is not able to view any file that i stored in the ftproot folder...any solution?does even my friend need to setup the ftp server to share files with me?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
No, the client need not have any server running, unless he wants to transfer some file to you.
I don't know why. But check if ur ftpsite is running from the iis panel. Also try changing the ftpsite's root directory path in the "default ftp site" properties.

harish_21_10

In the zone
The ftp site is opening from IIS panel on my sys and i was even able to open it through web browser(but now it is asking me for the password which i dont know as it was set by the sys itself)here is the FTP site property option:
*img370.imageshack.us/img370/6180/ftpsiteproperties0vb.th.jpg *img386.imageshack.us/img386/2373/ftpsiteprop9bu.th.jpg

And when i ask my friend to open my server through ftp://my_IPadd his sys hangs and nothing comes up...i even tried changing the root folder but no luck

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Hmm...It works for me. Probably his browser has a bug or something in handling ftp.
Ask him to try another browser, perhaps, or to do this:
open command prompt, type "Ftp urIP"
At the User prompt, type in "Anonymous" and at the Password prompt type "Anonymous@email.com" or someother email address.
Now he shud be able to do a "Dir", "get <filename>", etc. If u had enabled write permission, he must also be able to do a put command to upload.

If it is a network problem, u can check if ur ftp works by configuring ur browser to access via a proxy server and then visiting ur site by typing "ftp://UR_PUBLIC_IP". Find out ut public ip by typing whatismyip in the address bar.

U can even check if he or anyone is connected by clicking the "Current Sessions" button.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
He could use gdrive, but that wud require him to upload and then his friend to download the file. Also, since they are in lan, p2p connection like a ftp session will give tremendous bandwidth.

digen

Youngling
harish_21_10 said:
But after setting up an FTP server on my sys. the friend of mine who is on the same network is not able to view any file that i stored in the ftproot folder...any solution?does even my friend need to setup the ftp server to share files with me?
First thing that comes to my mind is,though both of you are on the same internal network,but maybe both exist on a different subnet?

Use a FTP client & paste the ftp log here.FTP codes can be used to find out the exact nature of the problem.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
That was the first thing that came to me too, but I presumed that he was already working accross the lan with his friend. But yea, that cud be the poblem too.

harish_21_10

In the zone
Hey siriusb,i tried using the username and password that u suggested but even that doesn't work...here is what i did:
*img295.imageshack.us/img295/300/iviewcapturedate29082005time17.th.jpg
and digen the log u wanted is here:
Code:
*** CuteFTP 7.0 - build Mar  7 2005 ***

STATUS:>  	Connecting to FTP server 192.168.1.75:21 (ip = 192.168.1.75)...
STATUS:>  	Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
		220 Microsoft FTP Service
COMMAND:>	USER hacker
		331 Password required for hacker.
COMMAND:>	PASS *****
		530 User hacker cannot log in.
ERROR:>   	Not logged in.
COMMAND:>	USER anonymous
		331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
		530 User [email]anonymous@email.com[/email] cannot log in.
COMMAND:>	USER anonymous
		331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
		530 User [email]anonymous@email.com[/email] cannot log in.

STATUS:>  	Connecting to FTP server 192.168.1.75:21 (ip = 192.168.1.75)...
STATUS:>  	Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
		220 Microsoft FTP Service
I tried changing the password too but when i typr the password again to confirm it one more alphabet or no. is being added and i got no idea about what that extra alphabet is(what i mean is when i type a 9 letter password it becomes 10 letter after confiming)...what is happening?
Should i try and setup the server again?

ATM

Right off the assembly line
Its very easy!!!!!!!!!

Use wwwfilesharepro
Easy 2 use (atleast 4 me)
I cant give a full link here but google will
help u in first 3 pages:)

digen

Youngling
From what I get till now from the pictures you've posted this is for a internal LAN ftp server & your firend is in the same network & subnet?

If thats the case then & if my eyesight isnt betraying me then in that pic you have the username "usr_hacker" & a password set already & you are trying to login with username "hacker" ?

Forget about anonymous login for present.Create a couple users & assign them proper passwords & then try logging in.

This clearly is a problem of a invalid username or password or to the matter of fact no username as such exists.FTP 530 is all about that.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
With anonymous acces enabled, there's no way u shu d get a usrname/password error. Try this link: *support.microsoft.com/?id=200475

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom