I wanna edit my GRUB. . help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Hi guys, i've Windows XP and Linux Mint installed on my machine. By default Linux Mint is in the first line of the GRUB boot loader as usually. . and windows xp is at the last. . .

How to place XP in the First Line?

How can i edit this boot list. . . just like we do in BootConfig in Windows is there any way to re-arrange this list.?

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Post your menu.lst here (preferably in
Code:
 tag), Its just a matter of changing the order of the Entries in the file.

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Well,

* Linux Mint, Kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
* Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.20-20-15-generic(recovery mode)
* Linux Mint, memtest86+
* Other Operating Systems:
* Microsoft Windows XP pro

note: each * represents one line

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Well, Um.. I meant /boot/grub/menu.lst

If you open that as root, you'll see that Windows XP is at the Dead bottom of the file. Just Put it on top of the Linux Mint Entries. That should probably do.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You need to edit it as root.
Code:
sudo nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst
Just change the line
Code:
default 0
to
Code:
default 4

praka123

left this forum longback
@mehulved's solution makes ur grub waits n seconds if not selected boot windows.
so dont change default 0 in menu.lst instead in linux gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and "cut" the entries for windows above the first entry.it will solve ur problem.that is windows will be shown as first entry also default will be windows too.

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
thankx xubz . . .

and Mehul bro thanks bro :)

Praka. . . i did it . . . its working thanks :)

THANKS to all once again

* * RESOLVED * *

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^dude you installed Mint from digit DVD?
I dunno why but mint doesn't install correctly on my PC.After installation when I booted up My PC showed...no Boot device....please check cables.Then I had to format my full hard disk:( and install XP MCE again.Now I am waiting for my gutsy CD to arrive.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Use a GUI tool instead. :)

Go for SUM (Start-Up Manager)
*web.telia.com/~u88005282/sum/index.html

Works with almost all debian based distributions, and specially Ubuntu. Linux Mint is just that :)

P.s. Since you already did it, just beware before you get an kernel upgrade applied, it sometimes wipes out your Windows entry. Backup the grub/menu.lst somewhere for reference on how to add Windows again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom