I love open source but..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Hey,I am myself a biggest fan of open source philosophy.......
Someone asked me a question, I was confused!

Suppose if comp like Microsoft,Adobe,Symntec etc are replaced by Open Source softwares........
How wll thousands of programmer earn their piece of bread?

Last edited:

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
by making opensource stuff and providing paid support to enterprise users.
or by publishing google ad on application as previously done by opera.

even open source community like ubuntu charge money to provide enterprise support.

sanphoe

Right off the assembly line
open source will never rule the market such tht all the users from all over the world will start using linux.No this will never happen .yes open source will provide a serious challenge to paid s/w market such tht it might reduce the currnet 97% windows users to 67%-77% but the paid s/w industry will be there and still be a major player in the market.Because u see even linux doesn't totally come free! u have to pay some thousand bucks for enterprise edition be it red hat,suse or mandriva(ubuntu has it's own way).so u see...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Nitish, Here is the answer to your question!!

Take for eg., KDE Project, the makers of K Desktop Environment.
It's Open Source. The programmers working on this KDE Project are sponsored
by Novell, Caldera, Trolltech, O'Reilly etc., These companies provide them the
money for them to survive!! So they can continue to do coding & make the best
software. Like that GNOME has it's own sponsors like Mandriva, etc., + from
the people who donate them money.

To learn more about KDE Project: click here

The Fedora Project is being sponsored by RedHat. Most of the software that's
created by the Fedora community is being used for RHEL. Remember RHEL is a
commercial, proprietary O.S. The other ways companies make money is providing
commercial support (like Ubuntu).

Last edited:
OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
But do these programmer's who work for kde get their money equiv to tht of programmers in Microsoft??

Moreover charging for customer support wll gv job to jst few programmers...Open source wont b able to consume thousands of programmer produced everyday!

CDORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG?

By the way whts the profit of Novell, Caldera, Trolltech, O'Reilly in supporting these projects?

blackpearl

The Devil
nitish_mythology said:
By the way whts the profit of Novell, Caldera, Trolltech, O'Reilly in supporting these projects?

Probably, by selling the products to the enterprises. So they sponsor the projects and pay the developers.

Another question: What's the profit of the warez site? Why do they buy stuff from the pirates and then give them away free on their site? Also, how can a website earn by an increase in traffic to their site? From ads? But again why does some websites place ads on other websites? I mean who pays whom and why? The visitors don't pay to a website so why does the website pay some other website to place ads?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Open Source != Free of cost.
So, why can't these companies earn the same after opening up the source?
Sun opened up the specs of it's T1000 and T2000 processors, if I remember the names right. That doesn't mean it sells them for free.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Nitish, Companies like Novell (that develops Suse Linux) make money by selling
their Linux distro, the proprietary one Suse Linux & other one SLED( Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop)
to the companies. Remember there is also Open Suse Linux, that comes without
any proprietary software like Window Media Codecs, MP3 players, DVD playback etc., & it's
completely free for download. Also the companies who buy & install these
Linux distros definitely need support, for which they have to pay money to Novell.

Why does Novell pay for KDE Project?

Novell's Suse Linux uses KDE & GNOME desktop in their Linux distros. It sells it
Linux distros to the Enterprise & other end users & makes money. It's actually
mutually beneficial for Novell as well as the KDE team in this regard!! Also for the
KDE Project to continue it's existence they need money!! Likewise other companies
& also sponsor the KDE Project , GNOME etc.,

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@nithish: Open Source or Free Software doesn't essentially mean that it is available for free. You must understand free as in free speech, not as in free ice-cream.

Back to your questions.

Open Source claiming the whole software industry (Though, it's a wild dream still), will mark the end of good days of Product-Based software companies, and will end up in a golden time for Project-based software companies or ITES companies. Programmers will earn by modifying the available source code according to customer needs and getting paid for it. Another major area that will be boomed, is of course as said earlier, Support Providers. Sponsorship is another way of making money, that is being done in a large scale.

Free/Open Source or Proprietary, programmers will never have to starve. But being open is always good for programmers and customers, and for industry too.

PS: Coming back to thinkdigit after a long time. seems that a lot have changed in the meantime.

praka123

left this forum longback
I'' Just put my thought how a normal programmer can make money from free software.ie GPL ed software.first if he made the decision of open source the code,it should be publisized properly as it needs persons/companies to be attracted.eventhough others are accessable to the code,not all are programmers(like me!;) ) .there are wishlists to the already available program.the author can charge a premium for enhancements and other add-ons,compatiblities to other architecture,also for security updates,subscriptions to newer versions of OSS.So the point is without donations free code programmer can live by earning.Another Point is there are umpteen other possibilities also which a clever mind can make to earn from OSS.

I think small companies(a bunch of pals) are earning great these days by programming using LAMP for major public/private and international clients.

But There are many negatives also.for eg;if ur s/w is GPLed,somebody may fork it!that means your s/w is now have a competitor on the same area :( but it is highly unpredictable about the success of the fork.
but this is the same case with a propreitory softwares which will with time develop competitors albeit the difference is the codes are different unlike OSS.

But I believe that programmers who want to earn from Free Software are more interested in BSD Licences which necessarily means not to contribute back to the original.
please share your thoughts about this

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
hmm...so this means tht Enterprises wll pay around for product+customer support.
Common Users will get the soft for free....

@JGuru
We can install Window Media Codecs, MP3 players, DVD playback etc on Open Linux too(jst some downloading req.)If most of the users become freindly with Linux why wll they pay for such distros?

If a programmer code is opensource, how he gets credit?

Let us suppose,I made a soft for an institution(e.g. library management etc) ]
They pay me.I provide them the sourcre code.
Now....If they later want product support.They may even ask another programmer to code?
If an Another institution gets the code they might get it modified from an another programmer with a little fee,or use it as it is if it works and my right wll b violated!

Pls explain................

Conclusion:: I felt tht if Linux rules..........all soft would b free! But after this discussion it seems tht open source wont make any changes to cost of soft!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you release the code under GPL, you will have to be given credit for the program whether someone else modified it or not. If someone modifies the program, they have to provide that the original code belongs to you and they have added modifications to it.
And, then you can distribute the same software over the internet and many other people can use it too. Will it be free of cost or paid is upto you.
Of what I know, in open source model, software is seen as service rather than a product so you get paid for services you provide and not necessarily for the product.

outlaw

De@d
@ nitish
then the soft engineers will have to earn their bread by providing support for the users maybe they'll relase buggy softwares just for the sake of providing support [ i.e to earn more money]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom