I love open source but..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

mak1012

Journeyman
JGuruthe companies who buy & install these Linux distros definitely need support said:
then wht is diffrent between open source and paid softwares coz in paid one we pay first and in open source we pay later.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
mak1012 said:
then wht is diffrent between open source and paid softwares coz in paid one we pay first and in open source we pay later.
Let me say again. Open Source does not mean free of cost. There's a lot more to open source then cost. Open Source has more to do with the freedom to view source code and modify it. GNU/Linux distros are released under GPL which gives various kinds of freedom. Read *www.gnu.org/ and *www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

mediator

Technomancer
mak1012 said:
then its mean that open source is good only if we want to modify.
Not only that!

Suppose u r in a company that makes closed source software. Then only that company can debug that software as the source is closed. The customer can only send his/her feedbacks for improvements.

Now consider an open source software. The code is availabale to all. Therefore the code improvement is not restricted to some company or a person. People all across the globe can view the source and can make feedbacks and can themselves correct the code without depending on someone else to fix the bug. Also the bug can be fixed much earlier, in a few hours or instantly!! And a well tested code leads to better stability and reliability. :)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@mak1012, The companies that install Linux definitely need support ( for configuring
printers, & other devices). Also the employees must be taught how to use the O.S
to get maximum advantage from it. You must understand one point. The Total Cost of Ownership(TCO)
for Linux is very very less compared to buying Windows O.S & installing them in
300 or more Computers. (Just an example). So the companies save lots of money
if they install Linux - both Server & workstations. The other point is the one @Mediator
mentioned. Microsoft's Windows is proprietary & 'Closed-Source'. If there are any
bugs are vulnerabilities, only M$ can fix it. Since they only have access to the Source code!!
Companies can't develop all software & sell them for free!!! Man, they have to survive
& pay their employees!!! They definitely need money to survive.

Just to give you an idea: -

A company can buy RHEL for around 12,000 Rs (not very sure, but comes something around that)
& install it on all their machines!!! If the company decides to buy Windows O.S, then they
have to pay for Window NT Server, & other workstations. Remember for each workstation, they must
buy a separate license & so on. In total a company installing Windows, will end-up paying in lakhs!!!( say around 3 or 4 lakhs!!!).
That depends on how many Servers & workstations they have!!!

Last edited:
OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
@JGuru
We can install Window Media Codecs, MP3 players, DVD playback etc on Open Linux too(jst some downloading req.)If most of the users become freindly with Linux why wll they pay for such distros?

If a programmer code is opensource, how he gets credit?

Let us suppose,I made a soft for an institution(e.g. library management etc) ]
They pay me.I provide them the sourcre code.
Now....If they later want product support.They may even ask another programmer to code?
If an Another institution gets the code they might get it modified from an another programmer with a little fee,or use it as it is if it works and my right wll b violated!

Pls explain................

Hey Jguru pls explain this!!!!!!!!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Nitish, You must understand one thing very clearly. For eg., Suse Linux 10.1
commercial version is available in India for 4000/- Rs. It comes with a dual-layer DVD
(8.5 GB, ie., 2 DVDs) with all the multimedia Codecs that can play QuickTime, MPEG,
DVD, MP3, AAC etc.,
It also comes with support from Novell for 6 months. Believe me it comes with plenty
of software that are not available in the Open Suse Linux 10.1. It also comes
with 800 pages book on Suse Linux, that can help you understand Suse Linux better.
It's definitely worth it.

Why Open Source ?

The Open Source phenomenon hasn't quite caught on here (India) like in Europe.
Lot of companies sponsor Open Source projects. Also ,you work with a team (say
20 or more people). Develop a project & market it. You work for a noble cause,
for the society in general. Lot of people who can't buy expensive proprietary software
like Windows or Mac O.S. You also get paid by your sponsors!! Definitely your name
will appear in the list of developers who developed the application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom