I can has Nokia N79

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
or maybe the Palm Pre.
I would absolutely love to get a Palm Pre. its interface and UI even owns the iPhone.
It has a super-responsive touch screen, gesture area and even a keypad (albeit not that nice.. but heck.. it still has one)

*the-gadgeteer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/palm-pre.jpg

Yaar that is the problem, i m quite chosey when it comes to a Phone's hardware design :p. See, the best phone I would like to have is Nokia N97 without the keypad & a memory card instead of 32GB HD cos without the keypad its weight will reduce & without the HD its cost will reduce. Besides, on a phone with such a big screen, I don't prefer a keypad.

2nd design is Palm Pre but I don't like the Qwerty keypad it has. Qwerty is good but since I don't need it, I won't pay for it. This is why I said something like Nokia N85 which has a big screen & a conventional phone keypad & its light & thin too....

Touch screen based mobile phone are good only when it comes to Watching Videos & Music & browsing Internet. This is something which contributes to only 30% of the total 100% of my mobile usage.

My next mobile phone is going to be based on Windows Mobile 7 (WPF FTW :D) & 5 MP Camera. I don't like inbuilt hard disk as it only increses cost. A 4GB MicroSD card is cheap enough these days & 4 GB is also a lot of memory in terms of a mobile phone.

This just in, I uninstalled all Python Stuff from my phone today & rebooted, then i reinstalled Python 1.45 (latest stable version), then SmartGet 2.5 & then WordMobi .43, they are all working fine now.

^^^ fastraj

I get that message when I m browsing some site which doesn't exist. Like gxdaa.com :D

Guys, have you used the Search function of the phone & home Media Function?

Today a friend of mine called me to know the address of Kaya Skin Clinic in Delhi. I was away from a Computer & didn't know how to find the address. Then I realized that I have Search functionality in the phone itself without any browser needed. So I started that & open EDGE i was able to find the address using inbuilt Google Search. No need to find any browser or Opera Mini.

The Home media application is good, I can share files over WLAN & use it to stream video/Audio from or to PC

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey, since memory cards have a limited read write cycle, will thr be a problem with the life of card if i download big torrent files in my phone?

What is the cost of sandisk 8 gb transflash card?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Hey, since memory cards have a limited read write cycle, will thr be a problem with the life of card if i download big torrent files in my phone?

Offcourse it does affect but common you can get a new one, they are cheap these days.
You should get an 8GB one for around Rs.900, not original mind you, but perform good.

deepak.ws

Right off the assembly line
The ultimate security application for your phone. It not only helps you track the lost phone but also ensures full security of the data on the device.
Secure and how:

* Track the lost/stolen device via Buddy Notification or over the Internet
* Remotely Lock the lost/stolen device, so that nobody can misuse the device & data
* Take a Backup of your data including Contacts, SMSs, Calendar Entries & Call Logs
* Erase the data on the stolen device to avoid misuse
* Restore the data back onto your device once you find it or even restore it on a new device which has WaveSecure installed

To know supported Device model no. ,Go to-*nokia.wavesecure.com/phones.aspx or www.wavesecure.com/phones.aspx
or *www.xpressmusic.in/app_pop/wave_secure.html

FAQ:*www.wavesecure.com/faq.aspx
*wavesecure.blog.co.in/

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^ Mr. Nokia Spammer, I am already using Wave Secure :D

@ Cool G5

Ok, I have decided to keep the SMS & Contacts in phone memory as I got 35 MB free which should be adequate. Contact Images are in Memory card. Ringtone is also in phone memory. In case my Memory cards malfunctions I can still atleast use the phone functions fine.

I don't need a higher capacity memory card right now anyway, the maximum supported is 8 GB so if this card stops working then I will buy a Sandisk 8 GB memory card

Yaar that is the problem, i m quite chosey when it comes to a Phone's hardware design :p. See, the best phone I would like to have is Nokia N97 without the keypad & a memory card instead of 32GB HD cos without the keypad its weight will reduce & without the HD its cost will reduce. Besides, on a phone with such a big screen, I don't prefer a keypad.

How can you manage typing without a QWERTY keyboard ? My fingers hurt a lot when I try that. :(

This just in, I uninstalled all Python Stuff from my phone today & rebooted, then i reinstalled Python 1.45 (latest stable version), then SmartGet 2.5 & then WordMobi .43, they are all working fine now.
WTF ? Symbian supports Python Programs ? Since when ? Does it execute *.py scripts ? :D

Using SymTorrent ? :D
Whats your mobile internet plan ? How much do you pay per month ? Is it a phone-only plan or does it allow you to connect phone to PC ?

And no, torrents won't affect the card because they use very little write cycles.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
How can you manage typing without a QWERTY keyboard ? My fingers hurt a lot when I try that.

6 years of practise my boy :D

WTF ? Symbian supports Python Programs ? Since when ? Does it execute *.py scripts ? :D
Yup, just install Python runtime for Symbian & python shell script & you can execute .py scripts. There are many accelerometer apps written in python.

Using SymTorrent ? :D
Whats your mobile internet plan ? How much do you pay per month ? Is it a phone-only plan or does it allow you to connect phone to PC ?
Yeah, I use Symtorrent. I download over WiFi.

And no, torrents won't affect the card because they use very little write cycles.
maybe on a PC. Latest symtorrent saves to memory card every 64 kb

Hey, what is "Presence", XDM Profile, SIP etc?

w8 a sec, you mean it downloads to phone memory and THEN to memory card or it downloads to phone RAM and then to memory card ?

if the former, you are in for some serious life shortening, and if the later, keep going at those torrents like theres no tomorrow :D

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It downloads to phone RAM and then to memory card.

I downloaded & installed Windows Live for Symbian & Yahoo Go 3 today. Now, literally I am always connected. Here are the 3 scenarios

If I am on WiFi then I check my E-Mail in the Phone itself. After installing Windows Live I am able to check my mails in the phone easily just like I get my Yahoo Mail or GMail. To chat I use Slick. For browsing I use Opera Mini or Webkit as aplicable.

If I am outside somewhere on Vodafone Live then I check my Hotmail in the Messaging application like before as it is supporting Vodafone Live. However, Vodafone Live does not support POP3 & IMAP for which I need to subscribe to Vodafone Mobile connect which I won't cos it is very costly, so to check my Yahoo Mail & GMail I use GMail App & Yahoo Go. They work fine over Vodafone Live.

If I am on Vodafone Live, for some reason I am unable to use Slick as it says "connection time out". Actually over Vodafone Live I am unable to use any chat application, including Fring (not connecting to GTalk). Oh well, if I am on Vodafone Live, it means I am somewhere outside so instead of pinging me its better if the person calls me.

Idea Cellular supports POP3 & IMAP with there GPRS service without any extra cost which I was already using in Delhi. So, when using Idea Cellular I can simply check all my mails in Phone's Messaging application, chat on Slick & browse using Opera Mini using IDEA GPRS using a nominal fees for Rs 20 a day for Unlimited EDGE connectivity in Phone as well as PC.

Need help. Since I am unable to use Vodafone Live for Chatting, I need to configure the settings manually but don't know how to do it. I found a tutorial but it is for Sony Ericsson.

*adityastar.blogspot.com/2006/10/gprs-setting-of-hutch.html

how do I do the same thing in my N79?

Last edited:

rajhot

S60 rocks
Settings->Connection->Destination->Add new Access point.

In the AP name give "WWW" for vodafone & Authentication field to normal thats it :)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This isn't what I wanted. I want to add Hutch_GPRS in my phone cos using Vodafone Live I am unable to login to Chat Clients but with Hutch_GPRS I am able to. I need to manually add things like proxy address, port number etc so wanted to know how to manually enter all the settings & whr

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Go to Setting>Phone Settings>Connections>Access Points>Options>New Access Point.

Now Input the settings Manually.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I tried this but it didn't help. For some reason I am unable to use any chatting application over GPRS whether it is Slick or IM+ using Vodafone Live or Hutch_GPRS

nikhilpai

Techans
I tried this but it didn't help. For some reason I am unable to use any chatting application over GPRS whether it is Slick or IM+ using Vodafone Live or Hutch_GPRS

I don't know about Slick but IM+ definitely doesn't work over a WAP connection like Vodafone Live. Possibly the java version of IM+ may work over WAP.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
There is only one such keyboard available from Nokia, the Nokia Wireless Keyboard SU-8W but this is something I don't need so didn't pay attention in finding the cost. The accessories which I have planned to buy for my N79 are..

*www.nokia.co.in/MEDIA_BANK_100/R6Accessories/D/DC-8/dc-8_150x150.jpg

Nokia Extra Power DC-8

Sony Ericsson HBH-DS220

*www.sonyericsson.com/cws/file/1.175458.1192993167/HBHDS220_product_quality_image_1.png

Creative EP-630 or Sony MDR-EX32LP

*asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/crave/mp/63002487/xminimax_b4_300.jpg

X-mini Max

First off I am planning to buy X-mini Max

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom