I am infected by a virus called 'upgrade-itch'. How to kill it? :D

ithehappy

Human Spambot
No seriously, for past one month, I am having this obsession. Every day when I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is go on eBay and and see either a 4770k or 4930k and click on buy it now, apply a coupon and then close that page. I don't know why, but it's just happening. And it never happened to me before.
I am quite sure there are other people here who upgrade stuffs like nothing, and have gone through a similar stage like mine. How do I stop this thing from getting into me?
:-x :evil:

raksrules

Youngling
In most cases you 'want' it and not 'need' it. Whenever the urge comes, just wait for couple of days or may be a week, if you still find no reason to require the product you do not need it and you should not buy it.
Getting the product will only mean instant gratification and will last may be few days and then you are back to square one and will want something more.

I have a Bluetoooth headet which has broken shirt clip and such but it does work. I was contemplating buying a new MW600 or something similar awesome BT but then i gave mine a try. I used rubberband to fix the clip and am using it now.
As of now i still WANT the superior bluetooth headsets but i don't NEED them, i am ok with what i have and going to use it till the time it dies on me.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I had it too. I used to open eBay, then look for core i7 3820QM and/or a 8GB Ram chip.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
No seriously, for past one month, I am having this obsession. Every day when I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is go on eBay and and see either a 4770k or 4930k and click on buy it now, apply a coupon and then close that page. I don't know why, but it's just happening. And it never happened to me before.
I am quite sure there are other people here who upgrade stuffs like nothing, and have gone through a similar stage like mine. How do I stop this thing from getting into me?
:-x :evil:
You want that transaction to happen and once you have it then only you'll have a closure.

IDK where you stay or your surroundings.
Try to discuss among your friends/colleagues if anyone thinking about upgrading/buying new stuff. Convince them about this one.
Then help them buy it. Tell them you would do this your own and would deliver the product to them. They should not take any headache about that.
Then...go ahead with the purchase. Do the transaction on your own, give your address as delivery address, take the delivery in person, assemble the product by yourself and then admire it from a distance. This whole process would help you cool-down.

Try it :)

ashs1

Padawan
There's only 2 solutions :

Either get it to get closure ( like rhitwick said )
OR
if possible, stay away from the site or internet for a few days.. This seems too hard, but believe me, this will get you out of that crazy routine.

A meme somewhat similar to this situation : :p :D
*i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/219/must-not-fap.jpg

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Rihtwick's advice is the best here :) I know two colleagues who will upgrade their system next month, so I will be doing it for them.
Tell me if this is any sign of getting jealous. This itch started to occur when one of my friend upgraded his rig to 3770k last month, he called me, he said hey I got the CPU, and all the good things about it.....but one thing I can say that I was really happy when I heard he upgraded his rig. I always like to see when people buy stuffs, buy good stuffs. But maybe somewhere in my mind I have some jealousness? or maybe I just wanna stay on the front-line when it's about tech stuffs?
I have been just looking for a cause to upgrade, and fortunately I am not getting one. I, from my mind know that if I upgrade now, within days I will loathe my decision, still....
Well, I ain't upgrading, lets see how long this virus stays, it ultimately gonna go anyway :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
if you care about other people buying costly stuffs and then getting jealous, then you will never recover from "upgrade-itch" virus. be happy with what you have got and think about those people not having a better config than yours. then think that i am at-least better than him ;).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gandhi's Famous Quotes / Gandhi's Talisman
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man [woman] whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him [her]. Will he [she] gain anything by it? Will it restore him [her] to a control over his [her] own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj [freedom] for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?
Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

- One of the last notes left behind by Gandhi in 1948, expressing his deepest social thought.

Source: Mahatma Gandhi [Last Phase, Vol. II (1958), P. 65]

snap

Lurker
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea :lol: enough OT

on topic: just empty your bank balance and the virus will go away

Top Bottom