HTC Touch 3G or HTC Touch Viva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
My brother has zeroed down on these phones and has asked for my "expert" advice. I have never been much into Winmo so I am slightly confused. I have checked their specs on the net and didn't find much of a difference. However what I understand is there is major difference in their prices.

Cutting long story short, can any one please tell me the end user experience of the two phones. Since Viva has lesser RAM, is this phone an ugly cousin of its 3G version? Are there any other glaring omissions in Viva (as far as features are concerned)? What are the prices of the two? Which is more VFM? Budget is not a constraint for the moment (my bro. is loaded :mrgreen:).

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Budget is not a constraint for the moment (my bro. is loaded :mrgreen:).

Then buy HTC Touch Diamond instead which is available for about 25k & is much better then Touch 3G or Touch Viva in both looks & functionality.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Thanks for your inputs!

However when I said that budget is not a constraint, I meant between the two. I feel HTC Diamond will be an expensive proposition. So any idea between the two?

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
+1 for the Diamond. If you can afford to buy a Touch3G, you can certainly afford a Diamond since it's just 2K more than the former.

If you don't want a Diamond, the next best option is the Touch P3452 (Elfin, not Elf). The Viva is a dumbed down version of the same while the Touch3G is, as the name suggests, a regular Touch + 3G. There's barely any 3G in India right now.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
However when I said that budget is not a constraint, I meant between the two. I feel HTC Diamond will be an expensive proposition. So any idea between the two?

The UI, UX & ease of Use which HTC Touch Diamond gives is enough to overlook these 2 models U mentioned.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
gforce23 said:
If you don't want a Diamond, the next best option is the Touch P3452 (Elfin, not Elf). The Viva is a dumbed down version of the same while the Touch3G is, as the name suggests, a regular Touch + 3G. There's barely any 3G in India right now.
Touch 3G is NOT a mere Touch + 3G. The processor that the low-end PDAs like Touch, Gene(P3400/i) have is Texas Instruments OMAP 850 at 200MHZ which cannot handle 3G. The regular (Elf) Touch has 64 MB of DDR RAM. And Touch is laggy and slow at its best, only good thing is that you get WiMo experience for cheap. 'Elfin' version has 128 MB of RAM though.

On the other hand, Touch 3G has a powerful Qualcomm processor at 528 MHz and 192 MB of RAM. With same screen resolution as Touch, I bet it it lightning fast in comparision.

Touch Viva also has the SLOW processor, but same 128 MB which the 'Elfin' version of Touch has. Touch Viva is completely unworthy of the price. Do not get it.

When such a budget is concerned, I will straightaway recommend HTC Touch Diamond. Common guys, the wonderful VGA Display? Its VFM if you compare it to numerous other phones.

Last edited:

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
get the Touch Diamond its worth it.the videos luk awesome on the vga display.
1 thing that i wud say is even tough the Diam has 192mb of ram,the amt available for usage by progs is only 128mb.the rest 64mb is dedicated for vram.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Touch 3G is NOT a mere Touch + 3G. The processor that the low-end PDAs like Touch, Gene(P3400/i) have is Texas Instruments OMAP 850 at 200MHZ which cannot handle 3G. The regular (Elf) Touch has 64 MB of DDR RAM. And Touch is laggy and slow at its best, only good thing is that you get WiMo experience for cheap. 'Elfin' version has 128 MB of RAM though.

On the other hand, Touch 3G has a powerful Qualcomm processor at 528 MHz and 192 MB of RAM. With same screen resolution as Touch, I bet it it lightning fast in comparision.

Touch Viva also has the SLOW processor, but same 128 MB which the 'Elfin' version of Touch has. Touch Viva is completely unworthy of the price. Do not get it.

When such a budget is concerned, I will straightaway recommend HTC Touch Diamond. Common guys, the wonderful VGA Display? Its VFM if you compare it to numerous other phones.
You are absolutely right but a 528Mhz processor is just overkill for TF2D. I bet the battery life sucks as well.

IronManForever

@gforce23
I have yet not checked if they have the same battery..
But you know what im thinking ? A pentium2 can take more power than some new dual cores..

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I have used the Touch 3G and it is quite a good phone but I would still suggest that you spend some more and get the Touch Diamond instead. Or there is always the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic which has a bigger display and better music playback.

aritrap

Mobile Addict
But the Touch Diamond interface is horribly slow. He will be better off if he buys the Asus P552w Glide(retails at around 21k).

If his brother wants Touch Flow 3D similar to the ones on the HTC phones, he can always install Manilla 3D.

All the reviews say that the Glide interface is more responsive than the HTC ones.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
^^lol...

Man, you hit the nail bang on the head! This comparison is what is was looking for...

HTC Diamond is available for Rs. 21,800 at a neighborhood store. Is this the right price?

IronManForever

amitabhishek said:
Man, you hit the nail bang on the head! This comparison is what is was looking for...

HTC Diamond is available for Rs. 21,800 at a neighborhood store. Is this the right price?
I should also tell you that, in general, all WinMo phones are a bit slow, no matter the RAM, processor. It has been so forever.
The extra speed shows up when you are streaming media to it, browsing some heavy sites with a good browser, decoding movies, yada yada.
Extra RAM will obviously aid multitasking.

@hellgate
How would you compare the overall UI speed of HTC Touch Diamond with a Symbian like N73. I bet Touch diamond aint faster even when compared to an old phone like N73. Even if it is, it aint that much faster to justify the so much superior hardware. Hence what I said, WiMo is slow. But there really is no meaning of such a comparision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom