HSF for core i5

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
hi guys

recently bought the i5 and was impressed with its performance despite being a non overclocker.But the stock intel hsf emits a lot of humming noise which is audible & sometimes irritating.

Is this normal :?:

Do i have to go for a cpu cooler to avoid any problems in future:?:

I dont have any plans for oc cause i use intel dp55wb board but if the hsf is faulty then please suggest a good one.

Watin for replies:smile:

Anubis

Courage to Know
Change your HSF . Not good at all

If you have no plans to overclock then Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - 1.2k is fine.

If you want to overclock then CM Hyper 212 + ~ 2k is great VFM . It supports LGA 1156 and offers great temperatures

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
hi guys

recently bought the i5 and was impressed with its performance despite being a non overclocker.But the stock intel hsf emits a lot of humming noise which is audible & sometimes irritating.

I dont have any plans for oc cause i use intel dp55wb board but if the hsf is faulty then please suggest a good one.

You could try to reseat it. What temperatures you getting --- RealTEMP software..?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
hi guys

Vicky regarding the humming sound,change the fan speed and response modes in bios,try it first if you are not satisfied then look for a new HSF,also do check whether
it is seated properly.I had a problem with my stock intel hsf too which was not seated properly.
As asigh said do run a real temp test it gives you the complete picture,Hope this helps :)

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
ok guys i will check the mounting and the bios settings.

Do i have to run the prime95 benchmark and then a temp. test?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
You run RealTEMP, and via that you run Prime95 (2x worker threads) to stress the system.

So basically RealTEMP records, and Prime95 stresses.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Hey does you motherboard's LGA 1156 socket has "foxconn" imprinted by it?
But honestly you should reseat it, update bios and use the latest temperature monitoring software, most probably TJ max is offset.

Krow

Crowman
Try and get good thermal paste before a good cooler. For stock speeds, no need for an aftermarket cooler.

TRUE is the best Heat Sink that will tame that monster well, and its price is reasonable. For thermal paste get Arctic Silver 5

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Not able to view it. After I download the image, only see a blank.

Could you please embed it directly as an image here on the forum. Much easier...!

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Not able to embed it:oops:

how to do it:?:

anyway the results are:

max temp 87 84 83 86 degrees

distance to tj max-64 64 64 64

sensor movement 21 19 19 21 for core 0 1 2 3 respectively.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
You temperatures are on the high side. But still want to see the screen shot.

Embed Procedure:
1. Make a screen shot.
2. Save it as .JPG.
3. Upload to imageshack (resize to 640x480). Imageshack will give the option.
4. Use the upload utility (as screen shot below), and embed the link(direct image link).

How to get direct image link from uploaded Imageshack image:
1. Right click on image.
2. Choose 'share it'
3. Pick the direct image link onto your clipboard.

Upload procedure:
*img189.imageshack.us/img189/906/uploadimagehowto.jpg

Hope this helps.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
after reseating the heatsink the humming sound is gone.here's the results 10 min after first test

*img20.imageshack.us/img20/3919/72360056.png

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
:)
Okay...sorry if I did not make it clear earlier. Make a screen shot of 'just' the RealTemp application. Cannot read the numbers. Sorry to hack at you so much..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom