HP Pavilion 15/G6 - powered by AMD Trinity/Kabini/Richland

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Official discussion thread for HP laptops powered by AMD Trinity/Kabini/Richland

*i.imgur.com/ynK7k.jpg*img8.flixcart.com/image/computer/b/g/4/hp-pavilion-notebook-400x400-imadpfd2gutthgaq.jpeg

ModelOperating SystemDisplayProcessorRamHDDGraphics CardUSB 2.0/3.0Price
HP Pavilion 15-e017AUDOS15.6 InchAMD A4 5000 (1.5Ghz, no turbo) quadcore8GB DDR31TBRadeon HD 83301/229990
HP Pavilion 15-n006AXWindows 815.6 InchAMD A4 5000 (1.5Ghz, no turbo) quadcore4GB DDR3500GBRadeon HD 8330 + HD 86701/231460
HP Pavilion 15-e002AUWindows 815.6 InchAMD A4 5000 (1.5Ghz, no turbo) quadcore8GB DDR31TBRadeon HD 83301/232660
HP Pavilion 15-e026AXDOS15.6 InchAMD A10 4600M (2.3-3.2Ghz) quadcore8GB DDR31TBRadeon HD 7660G + HD 8670M1/237990
HP Pavilion 15-e001AXWindows 815.6 InchAMD A10 5750M (2.5-3.5Ghz) quadcore8GB DDR31TBRadeon HD 8650G + HD 8670M1/240090
HP Pavilion 15-n007AXWindows 815.6 InchAMD A10 4655M (2-2.8Ghz) quadcore8GB DDR31TBRadeon HD 7620G + HD 8670M1/242100
HP Pavilion 15-n020AXUbuntu15.6 InchAMD A4 5000 (1.5Ghz, no turbo) quadcore4GB DDR31TBRadeon HD 8330 + HD 8670M1/2--

Owners:
  1. akbsol
  2. rish
  3. Games Goblin
  4. vinayty
  5. Rjrocks
  6. anoopjylive
  7. xdruchir
  8. zain
  9. parashar91
  10. hellscream666
  11. Shoaibq
  12. davinder
  13. mani0993
  14. LoneWanderer
  15. meetajaykumar.93
  16. aswinarjun99
  17. mohsin20
  18. duke123
  19. suvajit
  20. yogi007
  21. Niilesh
  22. nikku_hot123
  23. zacfx05
  24. do2blehelix
  25. ronny22
  26. droid5
  27. Jaskanwar Singh
  28. Sandeep Roy
  29. Ronnie012
  30. Pushpi
  31. swarupsengupta2007
  32. mooon
  33. aAdirulz
  34. aakash.mukherjee
  35. sam9953
  36. bhupati
  37. dhiman33
  38. anshul_sood
  39. shar_yogi
  40. Saakaar
  41. Aerrow
  42. drbones
  43. anuj kumar
  44. payne98765
  45. sammax706
  46. ninjamishr007
  47. parth1993
  48. vish98
  49. aliasgar.sk
  50. mohsin2cool
  51. kishorenagaraj
  52. jassi32
  53. yatishagrawal
  54. ViCKY16
  55. Chaitanya
  56. sandeep23
  57. anky
  58. abhishek66
  59. servo09
  60. RahulBiswas
  61. Vinayak Agarwal
  62. captain_volt
  63. vindon
  64. hiteshlastm
  65. anujsetia
  66. xs.dhaval
  67. adityamedhe
  68. sh4r4th
  69. NovicePJ
  70. siddharchris
  71. Sparrow
  72. gauravkansal04
  73. Piyush
  74. rohit.todkar
  75. Vinoth Billa
  76. john12
  77. AlekZander
  78. rohanseth8
  79. mikael_schiffer
  80. mkhackers
  81. 123hero
  82. viveksome
  83. Nipun
  84. Sounava
  85. bhaktanishant
  86. firoz3321
  87. Utkarsh2008
  88. DVJex
  89. lastname
  90. geekeek
  91. nithinajesh
  92. sengalraja

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Best bang for the buck Laptop for Under 30K

REVIEWS:

Review by akbsol

Review by Games Goblin

HP Recovery Manager Trick by bhupati

AMD Trinity (Mobile) performance analysis

DRIVER ZONE:

AMD Catalyst Mobility Graphics Driver 13.9 Windows 7/8 64bit.
AMD chipset Drivers for USB 3.0

Processor info:

AMD A4 5000 (Kabini, 15W)
AMD A10 4600M (Trinity, 35W)
AMD A10 4655M (Trinity, 25W)
AMD A10 5750M (Richland, 35W)

Overheating:

I used to have overheating problems and it used to hibernate after 10mins of gameplay. I cleaned the fan myself, reapplied the thermal paste and it is working fine now. You could go to a service center for this but that's not how we do things at thinkdigit, right? :wink:

So I made a laptop maintenance cum dis-assembly video which will apply to all new models of HP Pavillion G-Series and even other latops:

Auto adjust of display:

NOTE: Anyone having problem with variable brightness and don't know how to fix it, refer to this pic below:
*i.imgur.com/2TsLWOZ.jpg
make sure Vari-Bright is disabled

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
Re: My review of HP G6-2005AX laptop having AMD A8-4500M Trinity processor..

^^throttle stop is ur friend :p

rish1

Cyborg Agent

dont forget to answer me ..
and sam you can tell me about purchasing

in cell phones buying a non sealed pack mobile is like a sin
is it same in lappy
only 1 guy quoted price as 31k rest were 31.5k what if he does not give me a sealed pack , does that imply its a demo model . Should i go for 31k non sealed or 31.5k sealed .

forgot to mention in above post
and also i will be using it on bed mostly 10 hrs of web surfing mostly youtube and 3 hrs of movie . So tell the estimated status of heating.

is it necessary to purchase warranty along with purchase or can be purchased anytime ?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

only 1 guy quoted price as 31k rest were 31.5k what if he does not give me a sealed pack , does that imply its a demo model . Should i go for 31k non sealed or 31.5k sealed .

definitely sealed. With non sealed package the laptop will most likely get used up for quite sometime so battery have already took some beating, dust have already entered the ducts, etc.

^^throttle stop is ur friend :p

will it work with Trinity? it does record/show the change in states but can the state values be edited?

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door

definitely sealed. With non sealed package the laptop will most likely get used up for quite sometime so battery have already took some beating, dust have already entered the ducts, etc.

will it work with Trinity? it does record/show the change in states but can the state values be edited?

try it out...heard it works...

akbsol

Broken In
wow man ..
great review i am almost going to buy the lappy tomorrow . i contacted a dealer he was quoting price as 31k for today he said his prices are based on dollar so could fluctuate.
and on monday here or sunday in greece is elections if greek takes exit dollar is expected to hit rs 58 to rs 60.
my exams arent over yet but i have 2 days holidays for that i am thinking of buying tomorrw only with that additional warranty .

did you purchased the warranty ??

by the way after having tested the laptop what are your views i mean would you suggest me to go for it .

i will be using it for
1) gaming ( i'll buy a cooling pad for sure for this)

all i want is that while watching 1 full hd movie for 3 hrs ( no multiviewing movies) it should not heat thats it .

2)other general stuff like web browsing , ms office but will be using it for prolonged hours

2) how do you find the display quality

thanks bro for your pics and review
and yes i wont be touching it without getting it laminated.

it is going to be my first laptop so dont have much knowledge about purchasing.

should i demand a seal packed laptop like there is seal on mobile phones .

and also the warranty you got is accidental damage right ?

and how many ram modules is it 2 x 2gb ( acc to flipkart ) or 1 x 4 gb

and yes if possible please download 3dmark 11 and run this benchmark

and also what about coolsense ? i heard there are few modes in the coolest mode the fan dont stop unless the temp goes below 40 c

again thanks

31K is a good price. I couldn't get it that :oops: Though unlike you I don't have the reasons, something tells me that prices might go up in near future before taking a slide when other companies come up with trinity based notebooks. Besides that companies tend to raise the prices of models in demand. Not sure being an AMD how popular this ones gonna be in lay man's world of Intel.

Extended warranty under this offer cannot be purchased along with the laptop no matter whether you buy from a exclusive showroom or a retailer. Its a process which I have gone through 3-4 years back also on my compaq purchase. At that time they gave me a Kodak digicam with my laptop :-D You purchase the laptop, go home, register the item serial number on the offer website, cut the barcode serial area of the laptop box, send it along with the mentioned docs and the cheque/dd to the address specified on offer webpage. They might send the extended warranty papers or something after some days of receiving your docs.

In 31K there just isn't better gaming laptop available in market. If you spend 7K more you can think of going with K53SM from ASUS with 630M. But even then for gaming Radeon 7670M discreet is probably equal or better than 630M. Nvidia has the edge in the department of drivers and compatibility. Comparable ATI will give you better performance at lower cost but there is slight chance that for a tiny number of games it might want you to struggle a bit with right drivers and settings. And now with these dual graphics and crossfire thing you might have to dig a bit more to achieve the peak performance out of such a dual-GPU system. Will post more about it later.

Always a seal packed one as Sam said and also check that its a proper seal and not some duct tape pasted by the seller. But in our country you can't be sure of even seals :lol: So I just do it as a formality to insist for a fresh and unopened item.

The shops I went to did mention of accidental damage cover. I didn't get anything except a quick-start user manual paper in the box so not sure about what sort of warranty it is. But on Flipcart it mentions "1 Year Onsite Warranty with Accidental Damage Protection" so should be pretty much it only. You can confirm it by calling HP number: 1800 42 54 999 on Monday.

CPU-z is showing a single 4GB module installed and other slot empty.

I did notice that after installing HP coolsense, the temperature during normal working did go down by 3-4 degrees. But I am not sure about the fan behavior as my laptop hasn't gone below 40 considering the hot weather in Delhi today.

Display is just a standard 1366X768 screen. Nothing to boast of. Samsung ones in showroom looked better. Screen quality might be little better than ASUS but just a little only.

-Regards,
Akash

try it out...heard it works...

Thanks for the suggestion. Downloaded, tried just now. Doesn't work: "CPU not supported"

was all these part of the standard package or was given by shopkeeper? I don't need any of these. Better but some quality alternates.

There is no standard package as far as freebies are concerned. HP isn't giving you anything free with it except the installed windows. Every shopkeeper had his own different package of goodies which he offered according to price margin he was asking for.

lets hope someone brings in K12 stat or something similar and soon. Overclocking/Undervolting should be fun :grin:

One search ends and another begins :p

rish1

Cyborg Agent

thanks bro for the answer
though to make things clear , i am not saying that the hp will increase the price , i am saying dollar price will go up if greek elections are unfavourable. And if that happens expect petrol, mobiles , lappy etc prices to go up. Mostly electronic items are sold on dollar basis as they are imported .
ohh and last doubt bro

also i will be using laptop on bed mostly
10 hrs of web surfing mostly youtube
/downloading and 3 hrs of movie . So can you tell the estimated
status of heating.

thanks

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

AMD Trinity/Bulldozer run cooler than any Intel processor out there.

akbsol

Broken In

AMD Trinity/Bulldozer run cooler than any Intel processor out there.

Where I said "AMDs are definitely a hotter sort" I did make that clear that I am saying it about the AMD+HP combo. As far as only CPUs are concerned current AMD ones like Trinity might be cooler than any Intels out there but AMD can't do anything if the laptop manufacturer isn't able to use this edge and still comes up with chassis which does get more hot. Same is the case with HP. Heat throughput is not dependent only on the CPU. Every component inside the laptop generates heat. My previous Compaq with Athlon X2 + Nvidia 8200MG was considerably hotter than the pentium dual core ones at that time. This HP G6 is also definitely hotter than my brothers Dell i5 without any discreet GFX.

After having used for 2 days I can say that the heating is only evident when you are doing something really CPU-GPU intensive like gaming, encoding etc. Normal work and movie viewing keeps the chassis temp at 45-53C which I think is cool enough (for this HP) considering the ambient temp in my room itself is high. Using this laptop since 8 in the morning and the chassis temp is showing 45C at present, CPU at 43C. And I am not feeling it on my lap.

Sam I would like to mention that AMD Vision Engine control center has this nifty option to keep the clock rates in a particular range when on battery/power. It can keep the CPU under-clocked to 1.4GHz but doesn't allow any over-clocking.

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/clock.jpg

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

yea. You're right on OEMs tend to use cheap components in cheaper laptops to save $$$. End result is more heat. My 25K Acer Aspire laptop with Core 2 Duo was notorious.

rish1

Cyborg Agent

temperature of same hp g6 with i3 with same gpu in idle 31 c and heavy load 46 c .
Keep in mind these test were conducted where the atmosphere temperature is half of india . I.e 20 c
now can you tell is this thing cooler than intel or hotter ?

Google Translate

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot

Probably its almost the same.

akbsol

Broken In

temperature of same hp g6 with i3 with same gpu in idle 31 c and heavy load 46 c .
Keep in mind these test were conducted where the atmosphere temperature is half of india . I.e 20 c

Google Translate

Without a first hand exp in identical conditions its pretty hard to compare but I guess heating would be about the same. Been running a heavy HD movie (~5GB size) in foreground, 30 opera tabs in background and a ongoing download with the laptop on bed in a room with just a fan and in past one hour the chassis temp stayed at 61-62C and CPU-GPU at around 56C.

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/movie.jpg

When placing the laptop on bed for long hours I tend to place something beneath it so that it remains a little elevated for the air to flow in. If you place it directly on bed for long hours the temperatures would be 6-7C higher.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Google Translate
My dad has HP g6-1105tx with i5-2410M + HD 6490M.

Idle CPU = 49. Load (Team Fortress 2) = 80.

rish1

Cyborg Agent

thanks bro all doubt cleared now what left is crossfire performance in dual channel mode.
but since this lappy also has single channel ram i guess we'll have to wait for that for a long time.

and bro you seem to be using dual graphics all time do check if using only 7640g igp makes a difference on temperatures .

thanks

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

a single fan cooling both proccy & gpu will make any laptop run hot. this looks to be the case here. 45degree @ delhi is normal.

Ivy Bridge +7670/630 combo will run even more hot.

akbsol

Broken In

and bro you seem to be using dual graphics all time do check if using only 7640g igp makes a difference on temperatures .

thanks

Switchable dual graphics is the confusing part. I think by default the apps runs in IGP only. The driver decides whether the IGP needs the help of dedicated GPU or not automatically. You can disable this in driver settings after which a application which hasn't been assigned to high performance GPU will only use the 7640g without the cross-firing.

rish1

Cyborg Agent

ohh man he is giving me for 31k without bag and 31.5 k with bag.

I dont need that bag much as it will be a desktop replacement and will be on bed 99 % of time .
Confused whether to go with the bag or not..

akbsol

Broken In
Re: Best bang for the buck Laptop for Under 30K

wow man ..
and yes if possible please download 3dmark 11 and run this benchmark

Here it is:

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/3dmark11.jpg

ohh man he is giving me for 31k without bag and 31.5 k with bag.

I dont need that bag much as it will be a desktop replacement and will be on bed 99 % of time .
Confused whether to go with the bag or not..

Check the quality of bag being offered. The one which sales guy showed me originally was quite inferior. He was arguing that the one which is offered with the model is given. I kept pushing him and in order to make the sale he took me to their store and I immediately showed him which one I wanted. The full leather quality shoulder bag not the backpack. Before he showed his inability, I already knew it was really not possible for him as the bag itself costs 1000+ :-D. So i picked the next best one, a good backpack.

So check what he is giving. Even if its a desktop replacement you will be needing a laptop bag at sometime if you go out and wanted to carry it with you. But do insist for a good one. If you already have one then may be you can leave it and save bucks for something else.

Top Bottom