HP Pavilion 15/G6 - powered by AMD Trinity/Kabini/Richland

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Re: My review of HP G6-2005AX laptop having AMD A8-4500M Trinity processor..

Hi GG,

Purchasing extended warranty normally from HP which costs ~ Rs. 3000 for a year and purchasing under this offer are two different things. As me and you are aiming to get it under the offer for Rs. 1133:

If invoice is in your brother's name, register with his name and address only and send his docs, ID proof etc.

Your invoice date is 11th June, you MUST complete the registration by today.

You registered with your name and supplied wrong serial, thats a blessing in disguise actually.

The serial no is the 10 character alphanumeric one on black sticker as you already found out. Ref:
Interpreting an HP serial number – Viktor Balogh's HP-UX blog

Re-register today with your brother's details and this correct serial number.

I will be PMing you regarding something. Please do check it out.

-Regards,
Akash

Hi Akash

Thanks for your timely reply! It's really a wondrous thing for me as I re-registered the laptop in my bro's name in hp site using the s/n from the box and I filled up the peace of mind registration form under his name and s/n from the box. Thanks a ton again! :)

aakash bro tell me the barcode which you are sending will do the same .
But i think we have to cut that serial no from box and the barcode that is just above the serial no on that black slip.
Bro tell me apart from windows 7 sticker on laptop there is no other serial no sticker or serial no on laptop right ?
We only have that on the box on the black slip which we are going to give away and if it gets lost by courier there is no other way right ?

though it is printed on my invoice but still they should have mentioned it either twice on box or on laptop

I also could not find any s/n on the laptop which is same as the s/n printed on the box. Although the s/n in the box is printed in my invoice.

They are available on the HP website and I was unnecessarily downloading them. All of the setups of utilities and drivers are already present in C:\SwSetup folder. So in case you need to replace or install another windows just find all the required software there. There was no CD in the box. I confirmed this from GG also.

akbsol, that is a nice find! I will back up this folder when formatting and installing 7 Ultimate in the future

akbsol

Broken In

A doubt I have is if your BIOS was automatically updated? I turned on the laptop on Friday, and went to the next room while it was booting up; when I came back a few mins later I saw that it had not booted and a message had appeared "An important BIOS update is available and setup cannot continue as your laptop is not plugged into a power source. Please connect to a power source to continue." I just about finished reading this message and the laptop restarted itself ( i think there is a timer to restart if user did not give any input/if laptop is not connected to power). I didnt get any message like that ever since.

Did you get any update for BIOS?

Sorry I missed this post of yours. It could be possible that my BIOS too got updated automatically as they have all sorts of windows and HP updates enabled in the system by default and I have the tendency to leave the system online unattended for hours. It might have happened in my absence. I checked on the HP site and I already have the newest version which is available there. Whether the laptop came with this version or system upgraded it later, that I don't know.

dude, m confused too. I feel it should be the black label as that one only has the serial and model number mentioned clearly. If m unable to figure out, I will cut out and send both the black one and the top white one (non price-tag one). What about you? Any idea?

Thanks a ton again! :)

I also could not find any s/n on the laptop which is same as the s/n printed on the box. Although the s/n in the box is printed in my invoice.

akbsol, that is a nice find! I will back up this folder when formatting and installing 7 Ultimate in the future

You are welcome :)

Same here.. Might be under the battery ?? Can't turn off the laptop to check at present.

I have already installed Win7 Ultimate in addition to the pre-installed basic. Addicted to the transparency effects :lol:

I have added you in Gtalk. Please accept.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

i read about it yesterday and today its out of my mind. Samsung series 5. 14". A10-4655M. $749.99 is the price @ Amazon. So here it'll be 40-42k at the least.
Unnecessary DVD Drive. :(

akbsol

Broken In

Hi rish,

I have confirmed that the black label needs to be sent by calling up two HP stores randomly. Can you check the same by calling up your dealer?

-Akash

vinayty

Right off the assembly line

Hi,I purchased the laptop for 33,500 from chroma store in Hyderabad.
The bag i was given wasn't as good as quoted in the reviews.

So,i ended up paying 2k more for the laptop :cry:

Hope i get the reimbursement from my education loan as quickly as possible.

akbsol

Broken In

Hi,I purchased the laptop for 33,500 from chroma store in Hyderabad.
The bag i was given wasn't as good as quoted in the reviews.

So,i ended up paying 2k more for the laptop :cry:

Hope i get the reimbursement from my education loan as quickly as possible.

The MRP mentioned on my box itself is lower than 33500. How did you end up paying more than that dude? No one can charge you more than the MRP. If that has happened, you should confront them.

Anyways congrats on your purchase of this G6. Welcome to the Trinity Club :)

-Regards,
Akash

magnet

Youngling

i read about it yesterday and today its out of my mind. Samsung series 5. 14". A10-4655M. $749.99 is the price @ Amazon. So here it'll be 40-42k at the least.

Hp has launched sleekbooks in India.But details are not out whether its with amd chips or not.

Specification given out here

HP launches Ivy Bridge Ultrabooks (AMD Trinity Envy Sleekbooks?) in India | Real Time News, India

Its with beats audio and i was waiting for it.Just hope as the article mention it to be in range of 45k .

anoopjylive

Broken In

Hi bro,
I am also about to get one maybe this week or next.So please can you guide me where in Nehru Place actually? and which store did you buy from? Will check out the place this weekend.And by the way very good machine you got there.please do post some pics of the backpack you received.And one last thing where are the heat vents of this machine located? I am planning to get one cooling pad for the same.Which one would you guys suggest?
Also what about the display of this machine? I know the resolution is not great but just checking for your opinions.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Hp has launched sleekbooks in India.But details are not out whether its with amd chips or not.

Sleekbooks are selling at FK since a week. But trinity based sleekbook are nowhere to be found and AMD said Ultrabook kind of laptop will cost 600$. But most such laptops have ~750$ pricing.

magnet

Youngling

HP also launched sleekbook.But really amazed why intel product sleekbook name.Because intel had already patented ultrabook name and it cant be used with amd.Just to create confusion intel doing such tricks i guess launching with same name.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@magnet,
Sleekbook is just a marketing term to describe notebooks that don't meet all of Intel's criteria for ultrabook classification due to CPU and storage component selection, but are otherwise identical to the ultrabook line, including sharing the same 19.8mm thick chassis.
so sleekbook comes with normal HDD most likely.

anoopjylive

Broken In

@akbsol : Hi bro.Please take time to reply my query.Thank you

rish1

Cyborg Agent

Hi rish,

I have confirmed that the black label needs to be sent by calling up two HP stores randomly. Can you check the same by calling up your dealer?

-Akash

hi akash bro ! I had a visit to the store today. The guy showed me the box and told to take out that black slip and send it. So i also will be sending that black slip. And i have noticed that the laptop remains cool while doing normal work but while charging on battery temp rises to about 52 - 55 c. And as soon as charger is pluged out it goes back to 42 - 43 c.

Aakash bro did you also get the same bag as shown in gg thread.

Guys anyone planning on getting a cooling pad , looking forward to play games ?
Since last two days i am trying to get halo 2 work on this windows but i am having a hard time . Looks like i will have to install vista for this.

And 1 more thing aakash and gg bro i had skipped earlier that hp reg and i opened up that app again and registered there but i did not get any email conformation though i had unchecked that receive promo news option.

1 strange thing hp sites shows warranty till 22/7/2013 .

Rjrocks

Right off the assembly line

Hi,
i have also purchased this laptop. as i stay in mumbai where every thing is costly. this laptop cost me 34k. can you please help me out about extended warrenty, should i go for it? also i like to play games on computers. as this is my first laptop, help me out for cooling pads, or hi-end games that can be played with crossfire. is crossfire manual or automatic?

akbsol

Broken In

Hi,
i have also purchased this laptop. as i stay in mumbai where every thing is costly. this laptop cost me 34k. can you please help me out about extended warrenty, should i go for it? also i like to play games on computers. as this is my first laptop, help me out for cooling pads, or hi-end games that can be played with crossfire. is crossfire manual or automatic?

At least clothes aren't that costly in Mumbai. I always buy a few for me and others whenever I visit :)

When did you purchase it? The normal extended warranty which costs around 2.5-3.5K/yr can be availed through calling up HP care or visiting a HP service center. The one which we and others on forum who purchased it are aiming for are under a special limited time offer:

*www.hp.com/in/peaceofmind

All the terms and process are mentioned on above page. Basically if you purchased it in last 7 days, register on the above site and send the requisite docs (invoice copy, id proof, bar code sticker, cheque/dd of rs. 1133) to the address given on the page.

From what I could gather, cross-firing is automatic depending on the load but can be disabled in settings for the APU to work alone on its own.

akbsol

Broken In

Hi bro,
I am also about to get one maybe this week or next.So please can you guide me where in Nehru Place actually? and which store did you buy from? Will check out the place this weekend.And by the way very good machine you got there.please do post some pics of the backpack you received.And one last thing where are the heat vents of this machine located? I am planning to get one cooling pad for the same.Which one would you guys suggest?
Also what about the display of this machine? I know the resolution is not great but just checking for your opinions.

I bought it from a multi-brand store (like croma) called e-future located in Dohil Chamber in NP. Its on the back side (metro station macd side). Ask any shop and they will point you. I went to 3 HP exclusive stores and 6 retailers and could get best price from this store only. Your mileage may vary so do check out more :lol:

I was also offered the same backpack which others here received but it wasn't of my taste so I asked him to show something else. Mine says "HP Premium Backpack" on its tag and has a leathery lining around it. Here are few pics of it:

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/bag1.jpg

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/bag2.jpg

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/bag3.jpg

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/bag4.jpg

Vent is located on the left side:

*i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p546/g62005ax/vent.jpg

Display is good enough. Marginally better than ASUS, lower than Samsung. Quite bright on full brightness. You might have to fiddle with the driver setting a bit to get the color tone of your choice.

anoopjylive

Broken In

I bought it from a multi-brand store (like croma) called e-future located in Dohil Chamber in NP. Its on the back side (metro station macd side). Ask any shop and they will point you. I went to 3 HP exclusive stores and 6 retailers and could get best price from this store only. Your mileage may vary so do check out more :lol:

I was also offered the same backpack which others here received but it wasn't of my taste so I asked him to show something else. Mine says "HP Premium Backpack" on its tag and has a leathery lining around it. Here are few pics of it:
*images
Display is good enough. Marginally better than ASUS, lower than Samsung. Quite bright on full brightness. You might have to fiddle with the driver setting a bit to get the color tone of your choice.

Wow! Thanx a lot bro.Especially the pics.That was a lot more than i asked for :-D .So tell me you planning to get any cooling pads? Meanwhile I am also planning to get the following stuff:
1) A 16 gb pendrive (this model USB 3.0)
2) An external HDD 500gb to 1TB (will have to check with the budget though.I am inclined to this one here.though not sure about the price @ stores)
3) A bluetooth mouse
4) A cooling pad( any suggestions?)
5) A good surge protector extension (probably the belkin 8 out one with insurance protection for the equipment connected)
6) A good quality,spacious and (if possible a waterproof and weatherproof) ,cool looking backpack.
So what you guys suggest? Hows the HP backpack provided with the machine? Worth it? quality?
Also guys have the hard disk prices gone down or still high up? I have no idea about market prices now.Some six-seven months back I bought a 500gb external seagate go flex for 2600 something.I dont remember exactly.
So if somebody could enlighten me on the above requirements that would be helpful.Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent

great aakash bro.. You got the best deal.. this lappy heats up while charging . And while watching movie stays cool . I am also under a single fan with no ac its in the other room and cant turn on the cooler due to moisture risk.. Common guys suggest us some good cooling . My budget is 800 - 1k maximum.
Btw flipkart is giving a cooling pad also with the lappy ofcourse at high price..

akbsol

Broken In

great aakash bro.. You got the best deal.. this lappy heats up while charging . And while watching movie stays cool . I am also under a single fan with no ac its in the other room and cant turn on the cooler due to moisture risk.. Common guys suggest us some good cooling . My budget is 800 - 1k maximum.
Btw flipkart is giving a cooling pad also with the lappy ofcourse at high price..

When you plug out the laptop from AC power and it runs on battery, many things automatically switch to power saving mode in the current power profile. CPU gets throttled to generate less heat for saving battery, wifi starts running in low performance mode. system starts preferring APU instead of GPU for all of the display etc etc and the end result is 4-10C drop in temperature.

Its a normal thing...

Top Bottom