HOWTO - Protecting your Windows system

theraven

Technomancer
@ujjwal
xp is core stable too
but yeah it did have a lot of bugs and holes which did get patched with sp2
but like we all know MS ...new vulnerabilities are found everyday !

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Anyone noticed the content adviser tool in MS IE when enabled even reports hotmail.com as offensive and blocks it.
Haw......

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Leaktest?? I have Leaktested some of the Firewalls. See the results by following the following link.....
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159785&highlight=#159785

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
klinux said:
@enoon : gr8 work . u got anything on saving and recovering windows partitions and mbr . free would be helpful . read somewhere that removing the command.com and cmd files helped too . could u verify this info ?
What do removing the command.com and cmd files helped too help in?? :D In making the computer unbootable?? :lol:

chinmay

Journeyman
enoonmai why don't u edit the firegox 1.0.1 with 1.0.4 and let ppl noe that even firfox had a few vulnerabilities so that they immediately upgrade their virus....btw dude amazing tutorial n probably the best...keep up the good work

rohanbee

Padawan
I have a small question to you all about SpyBot being quite good and all that. The problem is that whenever i run spybot it shows the following entry:-

DSO Exploit
Data source object exploit --- etc etc registry change

When i ask to fix it it does. But whenever i re-scan this shows up again??

swatkat

Technomancer
The "DSO Exploit" threat that SpyBot throws up is a minor bug in the SpyBot itself. Update the SpyBot database, this would solve the problem.

Retro

Journeyman
Wow! This sounds really really great enoo. You are really really knowledgable on this topic and it is really brilliant of you to take all the trouble to type this up. This should be posted in Digit. It would make a great cover story.
Anyway, I showed this to my friend who was really impressed. He wanted me to ask you if he could have this tutorial in his site and forum and promised that he would provide credit to you and your website (if any). He is a trustable fellow and I hope you say okay.

Thank you

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Excellent thinkin dude...

Sad, i learnt it the hard way - reinstallin OS

Hey enoomai, look at this -
matches ur avatar of homer :
*www.themexp.org/preview.php?mid=1165&type=boot&view=downloads&page=&cat=&name=Homer+Edition.zip

Ashis

In the zone
digen said:
One word:Extensive.

But I wont agree with you on one point.
Windows XP comes with a built in Firewall to protect your computer, but its not a worthy solution when compared to a standalone firewall, so I will skip that in favor of a third party firewall solution.

I've seen quite a number of posts in the forum with threads such as "which firewall do you use?" & people bashing windows firewall for the simple reason that it doesnt offer outbound monitoring.I say if a person has a fair knowledge about what goes at the OS level,what applications he wants to run or to simply put knows what goes in his system then why does he need a separate commercial firewall?
Most of them bashing the windows firewall use a commercial firewall which is not configured properly & it sit there hogging valauble resources.I'm not saying windows firewall is better or the best but the description of the windows firewall ought to be w.r.t the requirements of the user & his qualifications.
So you mentioning "not a worthy solution" naa doesnt do justice.Just my 2 cents.

Well.......
I had windows XP Service Pack -II Installed! & Its Firwall running & I got Hacked :shock:

Yea.....I was bosting In the Yahoo! Chat Room (Hackers Room) & later I found My System has Been hacked & Another user Account has been Opened (Administrative Account)!

I say if a person has a fair knowledge about what goes at the OS level,what applications he wants to run or to simply put knows what goes in his system then why does he need a separate commercial firewall?
Well I dont think my knoledge bout whats goin on in windows is that bad but It did happened I was Hacked without my knoledge!

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
I want to ask a question on anti virus updates- I have norton antivirus 2005, even though I
update it frequently sometimes Y some virus when detected which r old one, the antivirus is able to detect it but not delete it or repair it? ANY SOLOTIONS?

anandk

Distinguished Member
wizrulz said:
I want to ask a question on anti virus updates- I have norton antivirus 2005, even though I
update it frequently sometimes Y some virus when detected which r old one, the antivirus is able to detect it but not delete it or repair it? ANY SOLOTIONS?

a common crib with norton. :evil:
norton xpects u to do the dirty vleaning !
the least it cud do, is atlst lock the file if it is in use and delete it on reboot, but then...thats norton for you !

thats y i suggest freeware avast or avg anti-virus solutions.

Top Bottom