How truecaller gets mobile number details?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I just explored truecaller online (not the app) and found that out of two numbers that I searched one was correctly reported and the other showed some other name altogether.

How this truecaller actually captures the mobile number details? I wonder because the other number should ideally have been reported correctly.

ashs1

Padawan
I think this is how it works. :

When you install truecaller, check the permissions sections. The moment you click on "I agree/Install", you allow them to get access to your Phonebook. They then update their database using such phonebook entries.

Flash

Lost in speed
When you register to Truecaller (TC), you give your mob# to their database and also your contacts (via permissions ie., EULA).

If you're A, and you have contacts like B, C, D, E - all the mob# of A,B,C,D,E will be stored to TC.
Suppose, B has friends P,Q,R and if he registers - B,P,Q,R will be stored to TC.

Just like Fb, TC will show P,Q,R to A,C,D,E as "Friends you may know", coz B is a friend of A (friends) and A is a friend of C,D,E (friends of friends).

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
the mother of all privacy violations.. I got it uninstalled from my brothers phone

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
You can't escape it and that's the fact.

Suppose Anyone who has your number has Trucaller installed in his/her mobile, your number is exposed.

Uninstalling it from your mobile you are saving only that person whose number is not with anyone but you. I hope you are getting the big picture here.

Flash

Lost in speed
Where Does Truecaller Get Data? It Doesn't Seem to Work for Me, but if It Did Work, Wouldn't That Raise Privacy Concerns? - Quora

cooldude94

Journeyman
Well every company has ways nowdays to easily access your no. Nowdays even sms are sent according to user. It's better to know who is calling you rather than fear of privacy as it no longer exists anyway.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
If you're A, and you have contacts like B, C, D, E - all the mob# of A,B,C,D,E will be stored to TC.
Suppose, B has friends P,Q,R and if he registers - B,P,Q,R will be stored to TC.

Suppose Anyone who has your number has Trucaller installed in his/her mobile, your number is exposed.

so finally what number / name it actually picks from it's database to be shown as true caller name!
can it be fooled with wrong info entered in the phone book and then install the app and let it upload wrong data??

e.g. My actual name and number is found in true caller. Can I override it this way... I buy another prepaid sim and use a blank phone with just that SIM number enter wrong name but correct number in contact list and install the app. I do it several times and now truecaller has uploaded my number but with a wrong name?

My perception is that the 'Unlist' link might be yet another trap to source numbers?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
nope, unlist link is not to source numbers, but it used to be different before, it was an opt out page, and you could do it without deactivating if you had installed
yes, it can be confused, but only if a large number of people save in a particular name.

A

amit.tiger12

I just explored truecaller online (not the app) and found that out of two numbers that I searched one was correctly reported and the other showed some other name altogether.

How this truecaller actually captures the mobile number details? I wonder because the other number should ideally have been reported correctly.

Okay... 1st of all every apps get permission for whatever media/app/access required with read/write permissions... when you root your device, there is "App Option" app. You need remove permission for those unnecessary things,... like your browser get permission for "read" "contacts", then just turn off permission like this..
*i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2013/12/20/1387523152901/app-ops-3up.png

now for truecaller...
that service read your contacts after your installation and upload it to their server... just like that they read everyone's nos and upload it..
okay.. so now for lollipop it was rumoured to come without root.. but you need to root lollipop for that...
any further questions...???

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
why are people so scared of truecaller
you can simply unlist or just register truecaller and change the name to dots or something
thats what I did
truecaller is a boon imho

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
you can simply unlist or just register truecaller and change the name to dots or something
thats what I did

:thumbs:
i find this to be a very handy app! can cut and filter out all useless calls.

$hadow

Geek in making
They're everywhere. We just don't figure it.

And this is the reason why I always feel iOS is superior to android. Like in youtube app for android it will straight away take the permission for using your microphone where as on my ipad it wil ask me if I want to give the app the permission to use the microphone and I can disallow it if I want to.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^and the app still installs... also there is granular control, you can pick and choose which permissions to give, instead of yes to all or no to all
donno why Google hasn't figured this out yet

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
thats what I did
It's not only what you save as. It's what other save your name as too. Now if you can get everyone to change your dots this should work fine.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
It's not only what you save as. It's what other save your name as too. Now if you can get everyone to change your dots this should work fine.

no once you register and change your name to dots or soemthing,itll stay that way regardless of what your number is saved as on someone elses phone

Top Bottom