How to use hidden usb ports?

gameranand

Living to Play
Well actually the thing is that you are basically drawing power from 1 USB port and distributing them in 7 parts. Now when you connect one device then its alright because you are basically just routing the power but when you connect 2 or more than 2 devices which requires good amount of power then the devices won't get necessary power and Windows will fail to recognize them so 1 device at a time. :)

BTW where you have connected this USB hub ?? In back I/O ports or the headers of your mobo ??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
see my above post(post#4).you need a powered usb hub(aka having its own power adapter) which solves this problem of insufficient power.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Then what basically is the use of such USB hubs when you cant connect multiple devices at a time?
If you connect only one device at a time, then its the same as connecting it directly to the USB port.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can connect 2 or 3 pen drives which are among lowest usb power consuming devices but forget about using more power hungry devices like cameras,3g/wifi dongles etc.if you want to connect such devices simultaneously you have to buy an external powered usb hub(having its own power adapter).4 port belkin powered usb hub is available for ~1000(see link in my post#4 above).

gameranand

Living to Play
Then what basically is the use of such USB hubs when you cant connect multiple devices at a time?
If you connect only one device at a time, then its the same as connecting it directly to the USB port.

Its a gimmick. :)
Good USB hubs with external power supply cost more than these type of chepo hubs. :)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
So my question is that are all USB HUB works like this? :(

what about this ?
*i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii249/atthershabbir/Others/7port-1.jpg

My MB model : ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS

It's... overkill..
You know what I mean..

kool

Cyborg Agent
It's... overkill..
You know what I mean..

No, i didnt get u.

By d way i'm getting this USB HUB for Rs.350 in local market, and it has DC port also, but they are giving me w/o adapter. So can i use this hub with power adapter ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't waste your money.if you want an external powered hub buy branded else don't buy at all.belkin 4 port costs ~1000(given link in post#4 above).

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
+1 to whitestar
@op dont get these local hubs i wasted my Rs.200 on a local/chienese 4-port usb hub. It has very less power not sufficient enough for HDD. Only one port works at a time.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
depends on hdd.some hdd consume less power so can operate fine with 1 usb port only while some for smooth operation(note smooth because they will work even with 1 usb port but may sometimes show issues) need 2 usb ports using Y-usb cable.

gameranand

Living to Play
depends on hdd.some hdd consume less power so can operate fine with 1 usb port only while some for smooth operation(note smooth because they will work even with 1 usb port but may sometimes show issues) need 2 usb ports using Y-usb cable.

I think you didn't read the post carefully. He is talking about connecting 4 HDDs simultaneously.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^that's what i meant.low power consuming hdd each requiring 1 usb port so in total 4 such hdd will run fine with belkin 4 usp ports but if your hdd need 2 usb ports then you can only connect 2 such hdd with 4 usb ports of belink hub.

gameranand

Living to Play
^^that's what i meant.low power consuming hdd each requiring 1 usb port so in total 4 such hdd will run fine with belkin 4 usp ports but if your hdd need 2 usb ports then you can only connect 2 such hdd with 4 usb ports of belink hub.

Oh OK. So Belkin one has external power source ??

mitraark

Decrepit
Best Enter E-HP80 7 Port USB Hub with Power Price in India, Buy Enter Usb Hubs Online - Infibeam.com

How is this one, any idea, anyone ? Rs.1300 is quite a lot :( This one is Rs.400

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
enter is a cheap products manufacturer so no idea.it may work fine or may fail just after a few weeks.if price is such a concern for you then take the risk.in worst case scenario you will lose only 400.

Top Bottom