how to Test my PSU : Corsair CX430 V2 ?

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
PSU : Corsair CX 430 V2 [July 2011]

I want to test my PSU wheather its working on not.

Actually its giving power to MOBO (since the Power LED is ON on MOBO) but doent puts ON the MOBO..

So I am not sure if its the MOBO or PSU at fault.. So wanted to check the PSU standalone..

I remember long time back I did test the PSU by Shorting some pins on the main connector and attaching a fan to the PSU... as searched on internet.. but not able to find the same now..

Pls help ...

OP
A

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
Gr8 .. thanks ...
this is waht I was searching for.

- - - Updated - - -

I did the paper clip test ...
sometimes the power supply goes on and sometime it does not....
If it does not .. then I will have to one-off multiple times ... then it goes ON...
not sure what the problem

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
Gr8 .. thanks ...
this is waht I was searching for.

- - - Updated - - -

I did the paper clip test ...
sometimes the power supply goes on and sometime it does not....
If it does not .. then I will have to one-off multiple times ... then it goes ON...
not sure what the problem

Yes those symptoms are actually for a weak or dead PSU. The PSU is no longer capable enough to power your components.

The corsair cx series does use cheap caps even in there higher end models. These models are not expected to last more than there warranty. So, your psu is definitely dead based on your symptoms. I would recommend you to either go fot seasonic or antec in the future if you want to use your components more than the warranty.

OP
A

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
Thanks for advice....
my GPU sapphire HD 5670 is also his dead...
this GPU does not require extra power supply...
Is the GPU also dead cause of the Faulty PSU...???

Should I get the PSU repaired?

insaneYLN

In the zone
@Alive_Hunter, how long has it been since you purchased your Corsair CX430 V2 power supply unit? Remember, Corsair offers 3 years warranty on the CX series of PSUs. If it is within warranty period, then request for an RMA. If it is not, then purchase a new PSU based on the suggestions you receive here.
warranty

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
Thanks for advice....
my GPU sapphire HD 5670 is also his dead...
this GPU does not require extra power supply...
Is the GPU also dead cause of the Faulty PSU...???

Have you also overclocked your GPU?
There can be many other reasons for the GPU to become dead. But, one of the major reasons might be the PSU as well. Problems with power delivery can result in components going dead one by one. That can happen immediately or it can even take some months or even a year or two to show the actual damage.

But, right now I would only advice you to go for a good brand psu from seasonic or antec.

OP
A

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
@Alive_Hunter, how long has it been since you purchased your Corsair CX430 V2 power supply unit? Remember, Corsair offers 3 years warranty on the CX series of PSUs. If it is within warranty period, then request for an RMA. If it is not, then purchase a new PSU based on the suggestions you receive here.
warranty

It seems only the PSU is DEAD .. and GPU is still working .. Still testing the system..

PSU was purchased in July 2011.. so out of warranty... :(

pls suggest a PSU for my configuration.. and in future to accommodate cards like Sapphire R7 265 OR GTX 750 Ti...

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
GPU : ATI Radeon HD 5670 , GDDR5, 1024 MB
Memory: G.Skill DDR3: F3-12800CL9-4GBXL [X2]
Hard Disk: WD WD10EZEX Blue 1 TB + 1TB WD Portable USB3.0
LCD Model: DELL S2240L
Case: Cooler Master: K380 + 2 x 120mm Fan : Deepcool
PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2
Software: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
Or apart from seasonic. It you want to get value for money then get an antec vp500p or vp550p. Those two would even support r9 270x easily. Also, if you want to go cheaper then you can consider vp450p as well. That would support your intended gpu easily.

OP
A

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
I am confused ...
the suggestion I have been given are :

Seasonic S12II 520w
antec vp500p
antec vp550p
Corsair CX500
EVGA 600 B 80 PLUS BRONZE
SeaSonic S12II 620

Should be able to support : Sapphire R7 265 OR GTX 750 Ti

I will be buying from Mumbai, India. possibly if PrimeABGB give a good rate as compared to the online website.
Budget: approx Rs 4000

Pls help me finalize...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just attach a fan with the molex connector or use a 3 pin to molex adapter or you can take a old, cut the insulation of the fan wires to expose the naked wire, connect the red wire to a PSU's molex connector's yellow wire and the black with a with black one. There's also chjeap fans with molex connector available on the market for as low as Rs. 40 to ~150 depending on the brand.

Top Bottom