How to see bad sectors in XP ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi,
I know the new name of SCANDISK in 98 is CHKDSK in XP. But with SCANDISK in 98 , we could also see the bad sectors , which is unavailable in XP.
Actually the problem is my kingston pen drive has got bad sectors( I know it coz the data gets corrupted quite often and only reformat helps), its in 5 year warranty but to get it replaced I need to show my dealer that it has bad sectors coz earlier when I took my corrupted pen drive to him , he formatted it and said its working fine. Now I wanna show him the bad sectors , I m using XP SP2 , how can I do that ????:confused:

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
^^we know this , but what we want is to see the bad sectors visually on screen , just like in SCANDISK.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
ok , lemme make it bit easier for ya. I need anything which shows/confirms/proves that my pen drive has bad sectors.

Eazy

Journeyman
Get the freeware HD Tune from www.hdtune.com and in this run the error scan - this shows a visual screen of the HDD's surface being scanned and shows the bad sectors.

ismart

Journeyman
see this:*www.housing.hawaii.edu/resources/support/chkdsk.htm

Please download the software according to your hardisk brand.

IBM(Hitachi)
*www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Seagate
*www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html

Maxtor
*www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/index.htm

Fujitsu
*www.fel.fujitsu.com/home/drivers.asp?L=en&CID=1

Samsung
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/index.htm

Western Digital
*support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I think chkdsk /r will detect the BAD sectors.
U can also try 3rd party utilities, like:

Everest Home edition
Partition magic
Norton disk doctor
Disk checker
Drive health

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@vimal , ur hard drive mechanic is giving extended memory handler error. My HDD is 250 GB.
@Eazy , ur software is good.
@sam9s, I can do it ur way , but it will not detect my pen drive, so of no use.
@ismart , thanx but I already have those tools , and they dont dont serve the desired purpose.
@vishal , ur method will check and remove bad sectors automatically , but will not tell if there were/are bad sectors in the drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom