how to open ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajeev86

Broken In
hi,
i needed help on opening ports 6667 and 1720. i have a huawei AmartAX MT800 ADSL modem, i referred to the user manual, couldnt find help there. I checked to see if the ports are already opened, using a software, but the ports were blocked/closed. How do I open them? :?

digen

Youngling
First & foremost stop posting the same thread under every section.
By default the ports maybe blocked
1.By your ISP
2.A firewall at your end blocking a possible connection.

Are you using a firewall by any means?If so try disabling it.
For which software do you want the ports to be opened?
Does the software have any option for changing from the default 6667/1720,if so try with different ports combination.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
i wanted to play aoe:2 online, but wasnt able to do so, the help page said ports 6667 and 1720 had to be open, and they were closed on my comp. i have tried disabling my firewall and the win xp firewall too, to no avail. is there some way out?
p.s: sorry for posting the same thread at 3 places

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Like digen said, if the ports are not closed at your end, then they are closed at the ISP. You will have to request your ISP to allow you to use the ports. No other way out. If your ISP maintains that it wont open the ports, there's very little you can do.

tuXian

In the zone
if the are closed at the user end only then whats the way of opening them some spl tool needed.??

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
The only way you can close them at the user end is if you either use Linux or a filtered firewall. Otherwise, if you want to open closed/unused ports, when you install an application that requests the use of the ports, then the Windows system will allow its use.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
i installed IRC(which uses port 6667), but it was unable to connect to the server as the port was closed,then it tried using other ports, but it dint work.
i use the BSNL DataOne connection, so i called them up and asked them how to open these ports, they had no idea of how to do it :evil: . i dont know what to do now :? .

digen

Youngling
i installed IRC(which uses port 6667), but it was unable to connect to the server as the port was closed,then it tried using other ports, but it dint work.
i use the BSNL DataOne connection, so i called them up and asked them how to open these ports, they had no idea of how to do it Evil or Very Mad . i dont know what to do now Confused .
I guess you could tunnel traffic to make it work.But if breach's ISP policy then i'm sorry there is nothing that can be done,unless you convince them to make it available for you which is highly unlikely.

@tuxian Any application for that matter.Consider any p2p app for that matter.It requires a host to have a specific outbound port to be open in order to make a connection.If the port is blocked by some reason you cant connect.
Another peculiar case you can consider is listening for active connections to a specific port.
Consider apache for example when you install & configure,a service is added to start-up which will also be highlighted under task manager>processes tab unless you disable the service from services.msc
This makes your host open,i.e listening for connections for the respective port 80.

Similarly applications process the opening of ports at the code level.[I hope i'm not wrong here,please do correct if i'm]
I guess there must be some function at the software level to check whether a particular port which is needed is open/closed.I'm sure enoonmai can shed some light on this aspect.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@rajeev86: Man, that is so typical about BSNL. Tell you what, I will speak to BSNL Customer Service with a friend's DataOne connection tomorrow and let you know. There has to be a way to get through to them. I will install AoE2 on his computer and try playing online and we'll see what happens.

@tuxian: Adding to what digen has already explained. Windows, in its normal working mode, does not monitor or control outbound network traffic. Windows Firewall or even TCP Filtering in the TCP/IP Advanced Properties allows only control of incoming traffic, not outbound. So, let us say you dont have a firewall to control outbound traffic and you have an unrestricted open Internet connection, then when you install a program that requests a specific port, Windows WILL allow communication on that port. If you have not restricted inbound traffic directed to that port or if you have not blocked inbound access to ANY other port that the program listens on, then the program WILL establish two-way communication with the server. And literally tons of programs request open ports - be it Windows System applications, rundll32, spooler subsystem, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, FTP, P2P software, webservers, database servers, multiplayer gaming and a host of other programs request use of their own ports. In addition, you can write your own code to open and request communications on a specific port, from anyone of the 65,536 ports available. So, in say, a Java program I can write a code such as

int port=9999;
ServerSocket s=new ServerSocket(port)

and have my Java program communicate on port 9999. I can setup a client to connect to this port at the code level with:

int port=9999;
InetAddress address=InetAddress.getByName(null); //getting the address of the server, localhost
Socket socket=new Socket(address, port);

If the client or the server computer has a firewall blocking port 9999 actively, then the programs wont work. You can check which ports are established or waiting or listening for connections by going to the command prompt and entering:

netstat -abo

which will give you a list of connections, their state and which executable/program was involved in using that port. And you will be able to see the huge number of ports that a typical online Windows box uses. Run the command on your computer to check it out. There are tons of programs communicating on a heckuva lot of ports.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
thx all u ppl, for taking interest here and trying to help me out.

@enoonmai: lots of ppl,who have adsl modems, and are trying to play on the msn zone are experiencing the same problems, some guys solved it by referring to their modem`s user manual and opening the required ports. but ppl like me, whose user manuals (or for tht matter,customer service ppl) have no info on how to open ports are not able to play the game at all. hope u have better luck than me with the BSNL Customer Service, and thx in advance for speaking to them. i will be waiting for ur next reply.

once again,thank u all u guys who r trying to help me :D .

digen

Youngling
rajeev86 said:
@enoonmai: lots of ppl,who have adsl modems, and are trying to play on the msn zone are experiencing the same problems, some guys solved it by referring to their modem`s user manual and opening the required ports.

I dont want to nitpick but what you are referring to are maybe something like router cum modem.Many routers now a days come with web interface normally,there is option called as port forwarding.This allows you to map a IP[local ip i.e internal lan ip] along with a port/s you specify.So as the name says it forwards WAN requests made to that particular port/s.
Just my 2 cents.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Well, guess what, DataOne has severe port restrictions in effect. :( AoE2 just refuses to connect. (He doesnt have HL2 so I dont know the state of Steam-based games. I would guess they're scr3wed-up too.) I am trying to figure out how port forwarding works, but as far as I can see this is just an ADSL modem with zero routing capabilities, at least the modem that my friend has. No accessing it via a web interface and fiddling with port forwarding, etc. Still talking to BSNL about it, but they dont even know what a port is, leave alone talk about restricting it. In fact, one idiot told me to restart the computer and my problem will be solved. GRR! Let's see where this goes, I dont think I will give up easy.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Guys did you disable the firewall in the ADSL modem? Also look at NAT redirect option I too am working on it to host a web at my local machine(server) through DATAOne

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Interesting. I can play HL2 deathmatch using my Airtel connection. I have tried the other games yet. So far I havent faced any issues with the Airtel connection. Hmmm..wil try the other games and let u know.

digen

Youngling
Yeah icecoolz no probs here too.I'm on a 128kbps airtel unlimited scheme.The only problem I had was when they had blocked port no 6667 but then I blasted them several times to get it working.

Anyways back to the topic.
Guys did you disable the firewall in the ADSL modem? Also look at NAT redirect option I too am working on it to host a web at my local machine(server) through DATAOne
From when did modems started having features like NAT,firewall?I think you are talking about a router?
No offence mate but I just want to get the lingo correct.
Anyways I've a few questions for you, does it have a web interface? If so then search for a option port fowarding by connecting to its address through the browser.If not then try by connecting through telnet to the router address,though this may be a bit of a hassle w.r.t understanding & deploying the commands.
Usually the address is something like 192.168.1.1.It should ask for a username/password.The details should be given in the manual.
If there is no port forwarding option as such then its tough luck for you guys I guess.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
digen said:
Yeah icecoolz no probs here too.I'm on a 128kbps airtel unlimited scheme.The only problem I had was when they had blocked port no 6667 but then I blasted them several times to get it working.

Anyways back to the topic.
From when did modems started having features like NAT,firewall?I think you are talking about a router?
No offence mate but I just want to get the lingo correct.
Anyways I've a few questions for you, does it have a web interface? If so then search for a option port fowarding by connecting to its address through the browser.If not then try by connecting through telnet to the router address,though this may be a bit of a hassle w.r.t understanding & deploying the commands.
Usually the address is something like 192.168.1.1.It should ask for a username/password.The details should be given in the manual.
If there is no port forwarding option as such then its tough luck for you guys I guess.
i did disable the firewall in the CPE(thts what the BSNL guys call the router,dunno what it means). it does have a web interface, but there is no option called port forwarding, and yes the address is 192.168.1.1
i have gone through this interface lots of times before posting here, so i am pretty sure there is no port forwarding option there.

guess even we have to blast these guys to get ports 6667 and 1720 open :(

digen

Youngling
Ok thats some progress.Before giving it up all,can you post some screenshots of various options present at the web interface from the browser?
Like my ISP router had no port forwarding as a option but it was named as port settings which indeed was port forwarding.So maybe some screenshots may help us tracking if its available.
@pradeep look for a DMZ(De-Militarised Zone) option under the web interface.
A DMZ is actually a untrusted network where you place publicly accessible services.Since you are thinking of hosting a site this should help you avoid all the hassles of port forwarding.But beware a host under DMZ is totally insecure unless you take proper measures &lockit,harden the OS etc.
This should give you idea about DMZ.Hope this helps.

Doc Holliday

Broken In
CPE(thts what the BSNL guys call the router,dunno what it means)

Hi rajeev,

CPE = Customer Premise Equipment. Just a way for the government agencies to remind us of the domination of the babu culture in this Internet age.

The BSNL DataOne modem that I have seen (one from UTstarcom - supplied by BSNL) is an ADSL modem cum router. Did not look into port forwarding on this model..

DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom