how to open ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
digen...quick question for u. Since ur using the airtel 128 kbps connection are you directly connected or connected via lan ? If it is the latter then your ip would 192.168.*.* which would be a LAN ip. So if I want to host a webserver on my machine and make it available to others how would I go about it ? Is it possible ? (I know the IP that others will see will be Ip of my modem and it will change but thats ok with me). If this isnt clear I'll give a detailed explaination as I can.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@rajeev86: Ok, if you would please confirm the model number of your router, if its UTStarcom UT4110A, then maybe I can check. The model number can be found on the modem/router itself. Please list the model number and manufacturer and we CAN find a way around it. I just sat at my friend's place for an hour and AoE2 works like a charm now. No issues! :D

@pradeep_chauhan: I didnt have enough time to set up an Apache server, but I will test that also tomorrow and let you know.

@icecoolz: Your public IP can be quite simply found by going to a site like IPChicken.com. What you need to do if you're on an internal numbering scheme and you have a Dynamic IP address being assigned by a DHCP server, is to set up your server the normal way and get yourself a program like ezDNS (Remember I talked about this in the online multiplayer gaming thingie?) which posts your IP address online whenever it changes, so anyone can look it up and be automatically redirected to your server, no matter what your IP address is.

digen

Youngling
Naa no need I gotcha.But first I would like to know your network topology i.e how many computers if sharing the connection? Which pc will be hosting the web server?

Also tell me which router you got? Router name? Firmware version?Afaik there are 4 models available.
You can tell the above by accessing the router page from the browser.Play around with the options a bit.

Under the appropriate options of the router web interface page you just map the internal IP & the port that you want to make it public.
Say you'r in a LAN with 2 computers.
Both are having IP's as 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3 respectively.Now you want to host a web server on the 192.168.1.3 machine,
Below is a screenshot of a linksys router web interface,since my router page isnt opening up for the last few days.

*img12.exs.cx/img12/9328/linksysportforwarding9ld.th.gif
With the above as an example you place 192.168.1.3 under the IP address & under the port type 80 for both.This will allow requests for port 80 to your 192.168.1.3 machine which will be hosting the web server.
I believe the options wont be as advanced as the above but should be similar.I hope you get the idea, if not shoot. :)

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
@Digen:

Mine is a 128 kbps on a 1:2 shared ratio. At home I have only one comp and it is on this I will be hosting the web/ftp server. My whole set of flats is being supplied by airtel.

The router is from Beetel. The web interface is something called the web distributor.

*img173.exs.cx/img173/9362/webdistributor8qh.th.jpg

I have been going thru this for a while however it just doesnt have any options as ou have mentioned. No idea how to proceed now.

@enoonmai: I know about ezDNS also since I will be using a no-ip domain then I really wont have any issues. Its this whole LAN thing which has me confused.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Oh DIGIN
guys the BSNL data one ADSL Modem has a firwall , NAT with redirect and transperent fwd router with dynamic and static routes and a IP table / rule lookup. So I think the terminology is clear now. It also has a Web based interface to set all this .

Now back to more important things So using a IP redirected service I have been able to come back to the private IP port 80 at the ADSL modem i.e. see the admin page from any where outside. Now the port 80 has to be forwarded to one of the many machines inside the private network Thats the problem.

digen

Youngling
Maybe the router you got doesnt have a option to port forward as I said earlier.You can ask your local customer care to provide you with a different model which support port forwarding.

Btw the one you have,does it have Yozan secure wireless written on it?Also check for a DMZ option under various settings.
The one I had earlier let me both port forward & place a host in a DMZ.I cant seem figure out which one it was.

Right now I've a R.B.Comtec router which does have DMZ as an option.But no port forwarding options available.
Its this whole LAN thing which has me confused.
I'm not sure as exactly what is confusing?

EDIT:
see the admin page from any where outside.
:shock: dude you mean to say that you can access your router web interface anywhere from outside i.e the internet?
Dude thats seriously insecure,you dont want anyone from outside to access you router page & mess around with it do you?
Even if its username/password protected you are asking for anyone from to take a crack at you !
I'm not sure if you are proceeding the right way.Certainly no offence here too.I hope you understand my concern. :)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
The modem/router icecoolz is working with is based on the Globescan GS7070 chipset. I couldn't find a compatible web interface for it though, that matched his. But I do know that the routers based on that chipset all allow port forwarding. If I can dig a bit deeper into Google, I can come up with it. A bit tired now, will look into it with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow morning.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I have no faith in the customer care thing I feel we guys now much better than the "tutored" chaps sitting there. Anyway the BSNL ADSL modem does have a NAT redirect facilty. The options it gives are
TCP UDP
Local IP
Global From
Global TO
Port From
Port To
thats it now i set the IP of the machine running Apache for the local ip set global to and from to 0.0.0.0 ports both to 80
any thing wrong in it?

digen

Youngling
You've to set it up to the internal machine's IP on which you are hosting.
Set it say your machine's internal IP is 192.168.1.2 & port 80 & not 0.0.0.0 which is similar to the loopback address.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The 0.0.0.0 in routing world means any IP or * and not loopback In this case it indicates the range of ip from which to accept the incomming requests. The local IP is the IP of the machine where the apache is running in this case 192.169.1.1
My setup is given in
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16020

digen

Youngling
Yes I admit my ignorance.I felt you were referring w.r.t a machine & not in a routing aspect.Anyways I apologise & thanks for correcting me dude.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
please come on dont be so formal. There is no correction .... Just a discussion. So think of a solution and maybe all data one users will be host there own (and others) web.

digen

Youngling
No formalities mate hereafter ;) ,btw can ya send me some screenshots of the web interface[port forwarding options] or maybe hot-link them here?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
enoonmai and digen both are right. It is the GS7070 chipset and the yozan wireless. I will also provide screen shots of the available options which I feel are related to this query.

Lan Config

*img39.exs.cx/img39/2782/lan13za.th.jpg

Edit IP Config

*img39.exs.cx/img39/2953/laneditip1hh.th.jpg

Edit RIP (No idea what this is thought it might be useful)

*img39.exs.cx/img39/2691/editrip3mv.th.jpg

Edit Routes

*img173.exs.cx/img173/1718/editroutes8xp.th.jpg

Edit Routes Advanced Options

*img173.exs.cx/img173/5977/editroutesadv8mc.th.jpg

Ports Config

*img46.exs.cx/img46/2238/ports3cv.th.jpg

All the available options are there in the left. So let me know if there is anything specific that you would like to know.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
hi all,
yes as pradeep said the modem we r getting in bangalore is a HUAWEI SmartAX MT800.
i will post a screenshot of the webinterface below, i checked properly, there was no tab concerned with ports.

@enoonmai: how did aoe2 work on ur friends comp, pls help me here, how did u open the ports?
*img36.exs.cx/img36/4239/screenshot19jo.th.jpg

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Ok, lets see if I can remember what I did. No, most of these routers dont have a simple "Port Forwarding" tab or link for you to click. It however, works with a NAT RDR rule for port forwarding. :D Come to think of it, I wanna kick myself for not figuring it out sooner. It clearly said NAT and I should have figured a simple redirect for a NAT is what we call port forwarding.
Here's what you need to do:
On the left hand side, under Other Settings click the NAT link. In the page that opens up, click the Add button. Under Rule type, select REDIRECT. Select protocol as TCP and then under Local IP, enter your local computer's IP address. In Global Address From and Global Address To, enter 0 in all the boxes. In Destination Port From, select "Any Other Port" and then enter 0 in the box next to it. In Destination Port To, enter "Any Other Port" and then enter 65535 in the box next to it. Click the Submit button when you are done, and repeat the process this time for UDP and then again click Submit.
On the left, under Advanced Function, select IP Filter. Set the Security Level to 'LOW' (make sure you have your software firewall running, though.) and then make sure Public Default Action and Private Default Action are set to 'ACCEPT'. Save the changes, reboot the router and you should be done. This is how I remember doing it. :)

@icecoolz: Look for a NAT option. I will have to tinker with the ticker manually to find what I am looking for. :D It took me about 30 minutes to figure out what to do with the DataOne router.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
@enoonmai:guess what, its working, only i wish i understood how this worked.thx a lot :D
thx a lot to all u guys for all the help. :D

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
No problem. Glad to have helped. If you want to understand how this works, well a basic understanding of routers and NATs would help. I was fiddling with the modem/router and I was just randomly clicking everything and checking it out when I came across the Redirect drop-down in the NAT Rule and ended up banging my head on the table over and over again, each bang accompanied with a "D-Oh!". You see, it works this way. NAT is Network Address Translation. Without going into the technical details, all it does it provide a "translation" service between your computer, which has a private IP address and the Internet. So when your computer requests data from another computer on the Internet, the NAT takes your data, adds its IP address to it, makes the request to the server, takes the data from the server, adds your IP address to it and sends it to you. Usually, NATs are used as quasi-firewalls, redirecting only necessary traffic while blocking others, which is what it was doing in our case. What we did was add a Redirect rule, or port forwarding, where we took all traffic coming in, and redirected it to the appropriate ports on our computer, say port 0 to port 0 on our computer, port 1 to port 1, etc. So, now your computer is able to send and receive data on all its ports, and is openly accessible to the Internet. If you want to spend more time being extra-secure, you can remove this rule, find out which ports your games and applications are using, and add those alone, leaving the router to block the rest.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
There is a NAT option however there is option for creating a new service as far as I can remem. Will go home and verify this and keep you updated. Thanks for all your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom