how to lessen load on laptop

doomgiver

Warframe
is there any way to do a "partial" sleep of the os, so that only the disk is active.

like, i want to download some ebooks, and its a big torrent file (2-3 gb) so, what i'd like is that i leave the laptop at night and not have it consume a lot of energy.

in short :

what i dont want :
1. heat generated by laptop
2. power consumed by laptop

what i want :
1. some software to get the laptop is such a state that it suspends all operations except the torrent job(downloading and writing to disk) or maybe just downloading and saving to ram (i have 3 gb, and at least 1 gb is free at all times, when im not playing games.)
2. suspending all os operations except the ones i want.

anything comes to your mind???

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@OP: You can't just let the laptop reach to NO heat and NO power consumption state.
It would take both of these if ran all night. The best is to keep it under Standby mode, and be sure, it gets ventilated properly, during the night. That is keep it away from walls, books, or your bed!

PS: I couldn't helped giggling, reading gameranand's response! :lol: Since he provided such a short answer to such a Long question! :lol:

you need to run the OS to run the torrent client and network connection. Standby is not the solution.

for downloading, use a netbook. the lowest config with external HDD is perfet for such jobs

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I don't think, OP is going to buy a (another) netbook, just for the sole purpose of downloading!

But yeah, you maybe right with your first statement, since maybe in Stand-by mode, hard drives are put to rest too.
So, the thing which OP maybe try, is to use some turbo mode of say, TuneUp Utilities, which effectively switches off any unnecessary background services, for as long as the user wants.
This mode can be very well used for running just the tasks which user desires, including downloading tasks!
Tell me, how does that suggestion sounds. Since I came up with it, just now!

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
Put it on Stand by mode.
no such mode in win7 :(
and it will still spin down the hdd

@OP: You can't just let the laptop reach to NO heat and NO power consumption state.
It would take both of these if ran all night. The best is to keep it under Standby mode, and be sure, it gets ventilated properly, during the night. That is keep it away from walls, books, or your bed!

PS: I couldn't helped giggling, reading gameranand's response! :lol: Since he provided such a short answer to such a Long question! :lol:
no, i dont wanna reach no heat/power, i want to reduce it. my hp is a furnace. if i leave it running a torrent in an unventilated room, it will easily reach 50C @ hdd. i just want to keep it safe from overheating

I don't think, OP is going to buy a (another) netbook, just for the sole purpose of downloading!

But yeah, you maybe right with your first statement, since maybe in Stand-by mode, hard drives are put to rest too.
So, the thing which OP maybe try, is to use some turbo mode of say, TuneUp Utilities, which effectively switches off any unnecessary background services, for as long as the user wants.
This mode can be very well used for running just the tasks which user desires, including downloading tasks!

dude, no way!!! im not going to buy a netbook JUST for that!!! rather buy a old cheap box and run linux on it. cheaper and safer.

what i was thinking was this :

a software to hold the downlaoded data in ram until a critical point, after which the laptop will sleep/stand by (this is preffered) or it will write contents of the ram (???buffer???) to the disk, spinning them up from a hold/sleep/power down mode, after which the disks will spin down auto matically.

this will keep the temps down to a manageable level, and the hdd wont get too hot.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
well, i had a small psu fan that kept it reasonable cool, but it broke, and im in no mood to get another right now.

i kept the lappy on a thick book(smaller than lappy, so that the hdd section stuck a bit out) and placed the fan under the lappy next to the book. kludgy, but it worked. somewhat.

gameranand

Living to Play
doomgiver said:
no such mode in win7
and it will still spin down the hdd
Its called Sleep mode in win 7.
And no it won't spin your HDD unless it need to your Laptop will be very silent. :)
vineet369 said:
PS: I couldn't helped giggling, reading gameranand's response! Since he provided such a short answer to such a Long question!
Well thats the solution that came to my mind and it fulfilled all OPs requirement so.....:))

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@doomgiver: Me also neither heard of a s/w that can do what you suggest, i.e., hold the content in RAM for some period, and then write to HDD after a certain threshold. In fact, I think, uTorrent has a similar feature, in built, which tries to minimize hard drive writes.

And, from your responses, I think, you might have missed one suggestion, which I wrote. I have quoted that for you:

gameranand

Living to Play
Well Tuneup will help but not that much because it doesn't switches off many background processes. I used it and quite frankly I was not very impressed by it.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
In that case, you may want to try Advanced System Care's Boost Mode. Since quite frankly, I too find TuneUp's turbo mode to be a FAIL in front of the former.

gameranand

Living to Play
vineet369 said:
In that case, you may want to try Advanced System Care's Boost Mode.
Is it free??? If not then I ain't gonna use it. I prefer freewares. :)
Although OP always have sleep mode.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Although there is a paid version of Advanced System Care, but I use it's free version. And Boost mode is a part of the free one :p
Advanced SystemCare Free 4 Download Review for Windows XP/Vista/7 - IObit

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
gameranand, sleep mode pauses ALL programs.
the torrent client wont run.

vineet, yeah, i saw what you wrote. i dont use tune-up utils, but i'll give it a spin

Top Bottom