how to lessen load on laptop

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Sleep mode doesnt allow torrents to continue downloading (as far as I know)

What OP can do is that he can disable sleep mode when the lid is closed so that when the lid is closed screen turns of but downloads and everything continue.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Maybe if the laptop is plugged to power supply...maybe u can remove the batter and switch of the screen when kept overnight...this will reduce the power consumption,heat and also battery life will be improved

sygeek

Technomancer
I don't think any application connected with the internet will still be running after stand-by. There are routers meant for torrent downloads with GBs of space available in them, though I don't think you can afford them.

I recommend that you just switch your computer to safe mode and start the download, and turn off the monitor.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow.. So many possible solutions! I am sure OP can find the one which best suits him.

Or too confused to try even one :lol:

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
The ways I like -

1. Advanced SystemCare's 'Boost' mode / TuneUp Utilities's Turbo Mode (Although haven't tried any of them).
2. Shutting down useless processes yourself (by making a batch script so you will just have to double-click on that batch file when you want to shut down processes next time).
3. Turning off monitor and putting computer to 'Lock' (if Sleep doesn't work).
4. Even pulling off battery and letting the laptop go on power supply is good idea.
5. (LOL) Download torrent using Puppy linux live CD (Better still if you have it installed on a small partition).

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
Sleep mode doesnt allow torrents to continue downloading (as far as I know)

What OP can do is that he can disable sleep mode when the lid is closed so that when the lid is closed screen turns of but downloads and everything continue.
thats what i do ;)

Maybe if the laptop is plugged to power supply...maybe u can remove the batter and switch of the screen when kept overnight...this will reduce the power consumption,heat and also battery life will be improved
yeah, i do that, but i connect my modem and laptop power brick to a ups, safer.

I don't think any application connected with the internet will still be running after stand-by. There are routers meant for torrent downloads with GBs of space available in them, though I don't think you can afford them.

I recommend that you just switch your computer to safe mode and start the download, and turn off the monitor.
btw, will torrents download in safe mode? i thought win only loads the bare minimum drivers for that. please elaborate.

The ways I like -
1. Advanced SystemCare's 'Boost' mode / TuneUp Utilities's Turbo Mode (Although haven't tried any of them).
2. Shutting down useless processes yourself (by making a batch script so you will just have to double-click on that batch file when you want to shut down processes next time).
3. Turning off monitor and putting computer to 'Lock' (if Sleep doesn't work).
4. Even pulling off battery and letting the laptop go on power supply is good idea.
5. (LOL) Download torrent using Puppy linux live CD (Better still if you have it installed on a small partition).
i like 5, but puppy does not recognize any usb device :( also, it will still cause frequent disk writes, more so than windows coz transmission(the only client i know for linux) does not allow you to set the buffer.
for 2, if i list the processes, can you tell me which ones to end?

i think the best thing for me would be to see how i can increase the buffer/hold in ram size in utorrent, so that the hard drive is accessed less frequently.

Top Bottom