How to get a multiboot menu from 3 oses installed across 2 hdds ?

mrsam1999

Broken In
I have xp and vista installed in one hdd and that comes up with a multiboot menu having xp and vista as the 2 options. I also have win 7 installed in another hdd and when needed, i have to go and change the hdd sequence from bios to run win7. Is there any software so that i can get a 3 choice multiboot menu (xp,vista and win7) from the 1st hdd so i don't have to change hdd sequence inorder to run win7 ? Any help is appreciated.

doomgiver

Warframe
^really??

can you at least link him up to some examples and tutorials, so that he doesnt screw up and make his computer unusable?

sharang.d

Youngling
^really??

can you at least link him up to some examples and tutorials, so that he doesnt screw up and make his computer unusable?

I have xp and vista installed in one hdd and that comes up with a multiboot menu having xp and vista as the 2 options. I also have win 7 installed in another hdd and when needed, i have to go and change the hdd sequence from bios to run win7. Is there any software so that i can get a 3 choice multiboot menu (xp,vista and win7) from the 1st hdd so i don't have to change hdd sequence inorder to run win7 ? Any help is appreciated.

from BOLD: OP is well versed with technology and I gave him exactly what he asked for.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrsam1999

Broken In
Hello back..i installed bcd in winxp, vista and win 7 individually and it seems installing bcd in win 7 did the trick. winxp was automatically configured and vista only needed the partition drive letter to be set. All seems to work ok for now but will there be drive letter change problems ? (Though i haven't found out anything yet). I mean say a portable game is installed in drive R: and i play it with both win 7 and win xp. Now when i used to change the boot sequence in bios, all the respective drive letters of the partitions used to get changed. Did bcd solved it somehow ?

sharang.d

Youngling
See firstly it is not recommended to install two operating systems in one logical drive. (In your case xp and vista)
Secondly glad it worked for you. Only need to install in Win 7 and run. Don't need to install in the others. You can uninstall it once your boot works properly.
Only the drive which contains the OS needs to be changed to C:
All other drives can be kept to have the same letter if intended. May I ask why you need Vista when you have windows 7? My suggestion would be to keep only Windows 7 & XP(If you really need it).

About "portable" games. Keep in mind that most modern games store saved game data in the OS drive [C:] so anyway you won't have access to saved games if you play across operating systems.

doomgiver

Warframe
^ windows CANNOT be installed in logical drives, and still be a active OS :/
however, you CAN install any other OS in logical drive, as long as you dont want to mark them as active.
put it in the following order :
xp, vista, 7.
installing 7 last will allow it to take over the bootsector, which is required to boot xp, coz xp cant read 7's boot code.

sharang.d

Youngling
^What i meant by "logical" is the opposite of physical. Nothing else.
Yes installing in that order is the best but since OP has already installed systems he needed a software.

OP
M

mrsam1999

Broken In
Yeah, i mostly use win 7 now. But i have pinnacle studio 12 with all addons installed and configured in vista and i don't want to mess with that. So i keep vista too for convenience sake. Also, after studying easybcd, i tried to put a fourth option in bootmenu to load knoppix live cd as iso (external devices), but while loading, it is giving a 'ttf' error and doesn't continue. Any suggestions ?

sharang.d

Youngling
No idea about that man sorry. But if you wanna load a live image why not just use a pen drive/dvd drive?
As for normal linux distros it's very easy to create a boot list. Always install the linux disto at the end and GRUB does all the work for you ;)

doomgiver

Warframe
^What i meant by "logical" is the opposite of physical. Nothing else.
Yes installing in that order is the best but since OP has already installed systems he needed a software.

Logical partitions differ from primary partition in that they have to be made within an Extended partition. Use the proper terms.

sharang.d

Youngling
^Sorry sir :|

My intention was getting the point across which I did.
I think I mentioned clearly in my previous post that by"logical" partition I meant a drive as opposed to a physical hard disk as a whole.
I just meant a part of the physical drive and not the entire physical drive that's it.

The point of all this is solving a problem and not looking down upon others.. we could all quote technical texts but that wouldn't really help now, would it?

doomgiver

Warframe
Well, it doesnt help that a new guy accidentally installs windows to a logical parttion, and it fails to boot, does it?
It can happen to anyone, so its the best to use the proper terms to avoid loss of hairs and tempers, and to keep lawsuits to a minumum.

that being said, would you call a spectrometer a prism? sure, it does the same thing, albiet with minor difference, but it'd be a criminal injustice to use a mere prism instead of a spectrometer.

being accurate pays off, my friend.

Top Bottom