How to Format External HDD Properly?

som

Broken In
Hi guys, I have 2TB Seagate FreeAgent goflex HDD + 2TB WD Elements HDD. I haven't faced any issues with them but I want to format both of them one by one to have a better longevity & performance. I am using my HDDs only for storage purpose, no back up & password protected stuffs are there.

Please tell me how to format them properly. Is there any good s/w which format them properly or directly i can do through left click then format. The s/ws present on HDD need to be copied before formatting? Basically i want to know how to keep HDD in good shape. If some posts are there in TDF or any ext link are there please share. Thanks....

Last edited:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Hi guys, I have 2TB Seagate FreeAgent goflex HDD + 2TB WD Elements HDD. I haven't faced any issues with them but I want to format both of them one by one to have a better longevity & performance. I am using my HDDs only for storage purpose, no back up & password protected stuffs are there.

Please tell me how to format them properly. Is there any good s/w which format them properly or directly i can do through left click then format. The s/ws present on HDD need to be copied before formatting? Basically i want to know how to keep HDD in good shape. If some posts are there in TDF or any ext link are there please share. Thanks....

:facepalm:

formatting to maintain your HDD?? :D

well, i hope you do know that formatting deletes all the things on the storage device??

RubySh.

Broken In
You must be aware that formatting erases all data in your drive. I am also not sure if formatting a hard drive regularly will keep your hard drive healthy.

Connect the External HDD to any working Computer (I am referring to windows)
open Computer
select the partition of the External HDD
Right Click
Select Format
Select file system to NTFS
Click format
agree to loose all data by clicking yes in the pop up window
wait and done.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you want to keep your external hdd healthy then don't connect/disconnect too often & move them as little as possible.

want to format both of them one by one to have a better longevity & performance

:facepalm: Can you please tell us, to the mortals, who told you that?

Please tell me how to format them properly

What do you mean by formatting properly?

Anyways, if you are ready to loose all you'r data from that external hard disk, then connect that hard disk, right click on the pertition belonging to that hard disk, click on format, then click on continue and wait till the progress bar fills up, this will format your external hard disk properly. Extra info: the procedure for formatting an internal hard disk is the same too :hyper:

gameranand

Living to Play
1. For maintaining the HDD you don't have to format it.
2. Just Defragment the HDD and check for viruses and spywares using respective softwares and you are fine.
3. Boot into Linux and Delete System Volume Information Folder, after a long time usage, that folder becomes kinda big and eats up your space.
4. Don't move your HDD when its working or connected (Very Important).

That would be all.

Top Bottom