how to decompile digit cd's index.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

web_stalker

Right off the assembly line
Because of minor eye problem, I need to view the text in bigger monospaced fonts. After many emails to digit helpdesk, to change the CD description format back to html or txt, or to atleast provide me a txt version of the contents, I have atlast decided to help me myself. Using reshacker, I found out that it is compiled with SWFKit. Now I need some method to decompile the .exe file and extract the .swf or .html file. Can anybody help me with that?

I am not sure if it is legal, but I have stopped caring about it, i just need to read the contents without straining my eyes, and save them as txt file in my hard-disk for future search.

Can anybody help?

vandit

In the zone
u can install the accesibility options from the control panel> add remove prog>windows setup>click on the accesibility options and voila now u will be able to enlarge,read out any part of text u want....:p

OP
W

web_stalker

Thanks for the tip, but I also used to save the CD/DVD content descriptions in .txt format and later search these files for particular software. Now I am unable to do it. Though for now one part of the problem is solved, another remains - I need those descriptions in a format I can save and search.

MegaD3th3K

Broken In
u can u SWF decompiler to decompile it. shud work according to me. but you need to have flash (NOT THE PLAYER) to edit the .fla file.
i dont know if this is legal. but since u dont care, happy decompiling!

or use magnifier!

OP
W

web_stalker

The problem is that it is not in .swf format but rather compiled to .exe format. I have tried some .swf decompilers and all of them complain that it is not a flash file. The .exe file has to be first decompiled to extract the .swf files and they in turn have to be processed to extract the text. I dare say I eventually might succeed if I keep trying. Hopefully that day will come sooner to save me from eyestrain. Anyway thanks for the suggestion, hopefully will get some more geeks to find an answer to this problem.

vandit

In the zone
then try usin the resource hacker(( vishal gupta ur turn now!!))

Last edited:

MegaD3th3K

Broken In
no, i dont think u got me. use this app "SWF decompiler". IT WORKS! even converts EXE to FLA
go here: *www.decompiler-swf.com/

OP
W

web_stalker

Sorry. Out of station, couldn't respond immediately. I tried Eltima Flash Decompiler, but it was unable to extract the files from .exe. Maybe I am not finding the correct options. If you have downloaded the software, could you please check if it works for the digit cd's index.exe file? Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
*off topic*
Geez, reminds me of a guy in microsoft helpline asking how to change the name of the start button.

MegaD3th3K

Broken In
web_stalker, yeah, ur right. index.exe is not made in flash. it is somethng else. but it extracts the .swf (index.swf) to ur Temp\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} folder.
the X's may be nethng. just go to ur temp folder. ull kno wat to do.
u can decompile this swf with Eltima !!!
ps:the temp folder im referring to is not the one in ur WiNDOWS folder. it is the one in ur DOCUMENT AND SETTiNGS folder. it shud be somethng like this-
C:\Documents and Settings\web_stalker\Local Settings\Temp\{FD808A7B-2E7E-43C7-B719-2075931D2842}\

Last edited:

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
What you can do is.......

Run the index.exe file and then navigate to the temp folder (type %temp% in the run window and press enter to go there quickly) and then you'll be able to see a folder or some folders with strange and long names......

They are the folders that the index.exe creates to temporarily store the docs.
You can copy the folder toi the desktop and then extract all that you need from there !!!

That's IT !!

By the way..............please don't close the index.exe until you copy the folder or else the folder will be emptied !!!

OP
W

web_stalker

rajkumar_personal said:
What you can do is.......
Run the index.exe file and then navigate to the temp folder (type %temp% in the run window and press enter to go there quickly) and then you'll be able to see a folder or some folders with strange and long names......
They are the folders that the index.exe creates to temporarily store the docs.
You can copy the folder toi the desktop and then extract all that you need from there !!!

That's it. I got the content.xml file from the temp directory. Now I can open the file in notetab and easily process it using regular expressions and extract the details. Thanks for such a simple solution.

web_stalker, yeah, ur right. index.exe is not made in flash. it is somethng else. but it extracts the .swf (index.swf) to ur Temp\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} folder.
the X's may be nethng. just go to ur temp folder. ull kno wat to do.
u can decompile this swf with Eltima !!!
ps:the temp folder im referring to is not the one in ur WiNDOWS folder. it is the one in ur DOCUMENT AND SETTiNGS folder. it shud be somethng like this-
C:\Documents and Settings\web_stalker\Local Settings\Temp\{FD808A7B-2E7E-43C7-B719-2075931D2842}\

Sorry man. It didn't work out. I think the folder you have mentioned was the same one mentioned by rajkumar in the post next to yours'. So it seems it is created default when running index.exe rather than by eltima flash decompiler. Thanks a lot for helping me all the while. I have found various other uses for Eltima Flash Decompiler. Thanks again for the link and your patience.

OP
W

web_stalker

dheeraj_kumar said:
*off topic*
Geez, reminds me of a guy in microsoft helpline asking how to change the name of the start button.

Not a surprise when you think about it. Where else to ask a question regarding the Digit content than the digit forum?

It says a lot about this forum's tolerance and respect for free speech when the forum moderator didn't try to close the topic - not even a personal warning letter to me. It would be great if the Digit editorial team read this topic and try to add a txt/html version of the contents description from their next issue.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Hi

I'm really sorry that you have to face this problem. Unfortunately, you can't decompile our index.exe because it encrypts the source SWF files.

What you could do, however, is send me an e-mail (nimish_chandiramani {at} thinkdigit {dot} com) so that I can mark it with a big red flag and figure out a solution for you.

tuxfan

Technomancer
FatBeing, I remember even earlier people have requested for HTML based navigation. Besides this peculiar problem, there are people using other OS than Windows and they can't read the description you provide about the CD/DVD content!!

Why is Digit so firmly in favour of using a flash based .exe?

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
tuxfan said:
FatBeing, I remember even earlier people have requested for HTML based navigation. Besides this peculiar problem, there are people using other OS than Windows and they can't read the description you provide about the CD/DVD content!!

Why is Digit so firmly in favour of using a flash based .exe?
We're just hard-headed flash-lubbers, that's why :p

The Flash (actually Director then) interface is what set us apart when we came out as CHIP in 1998 (I remember going "Oooo" when I picked up my first copy), and that's what's carried on till now.

Unless we cook up some revolutionary idea that's not as boring as HTML, the best we can do is probably plonk an Excel sheet into the CD/DVD.

Last edited:

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
web_stalker said:
That's it. I got the content.xml file from the temp directory. Now I can open the file in notetab and easily process it using regular expressions and extract the details. Thanks for such a simple solution.

Sorry man. It didn't work out. I think the folder you have mentioned was the same one mentioned by rajkumar in the post next to yours'. So it seems it is created default when running index.exe rather than by eltima flash decompiler. Thanks a lot for helping me all the while. I have found various other uses for Eltima Flash Decompiler. Thanks again for the link and your patience.

:):) Way to go buddy !
Thanks for the "thanks" and I hope that I'll be able to help you again !

OP
W

web_stalker

FatBeing said:
I'm really sorry that you have to face this problem. Unfortunately, you can't decompile our index.exe because it encrypts the source SWF files.
What you could do, however, is send me an e-mail (nimish_chandiramani {at} thinkdigit {dot} com) so that I can mark it with a big red flag and figure out a solution for you.

Thanks to Rajkumar, I have found the way to extract the contents' description from the contents.xml file. I'm now a happy camper. Thanks for coming forward to help me. Maybe you can suggest the editorial team to keep the flash presentation but to add a txt version also. That will do nicely.

FatBeing said:
Unless we cook up some revolutionary idea that's not as boring as HTML, the best we can do is probably plonk an Excel sheet into the CD/DVD.

HTML maybe boring, but it is the most flexible format available. I can adjust anything using my personalized stylesheet. I also mainly wanted html/txt version, since they can be stored in the hard-disk and easily searched for the text inside them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom