How to clear this list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi friends.
I was just wondering how to remove the past items from the list of items in the system tray on the right bottom?
I Hope I m clear now.
Any idea about how to clear it?
EDIT:Due to misunderstanding.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
u mean in the start menu of windows-xp
if yes, there are two ways of removing it .

1) TWO REMOVE ONLY ONE ITEM:-click on start.drag mouse over the item to be removed until it highlights
there is a option remove from the list.

2) TO REMOVE ALL OF THEM:-right click on taskbar go to properties. select start menu TAB. click customize and there will be two tabs general & advanced. On general tab click clear list to CLEAR LIST to clear the program names.

3)TO CLEAR RECENT FILES:-follow the same procedure in the above one, now instead of click on clear list on general TAB. select advanced tab and the bottom of the screen click CLEAR LIST

hope it helps you

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@gary4gar, Thanx for reply.
but I know that.
What I was trying to ask was how to remove past items from the system tray(hopefully I named it correctly) , the place on the extreme right and bottom of ur screen.

sakumar79

Technomancer
How are past items coming on the system tray? System tray consists of items that are loaded in memory... The programs that have been uninstalled cannot come on the system tray...

Could you identify the exact apps that you want to remove from sys tray? Many apps have options to remove from system tray and some have options to turn off from starting... Some times, you want an app to start but be hidden from system tray, and sometimes, you may not want the app to start at all... So, please give more info so that we can help...

Arun

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I think u r talking about Inactive Icons!

U can add/remove the items from this list! Just go thru the following links:

*windowsxp.mvps.org/PastItems.htm
*sanx.org/tipShow.asp?index=188
*www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20744597.html
*www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21158086.html

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
"Clear Past items from the Notification Area"
Thats exactly what I wanted to do.
Forgive me as I could not express myself clearly earlier, may be the viral fever from which I m currently suffering has really made my head spin .
Thanx Vishal for all those links but I needed just the first one.Thanx Buddy.
Sorry for the trouble guys.

anandk

Distinguished Member
if u click start > rt click > properties > taskbar tab > (bottom) customize > u will se a lot of old/unistalled/unsued icons, in the past items.

so, how to clear these (clutter) past items from the notification area ?

open regedit.

delete the iconstreams and 'past icons stream' values from the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

open task manager, click the processes tab, click explorer.exe, and then click end process.

next, in task manager, click file, click new task, type explorer, and then click OK.

ur clutter would have clered up !

source :
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283

:arrow: or else use the latest version of 'ace utilities v 3.0'. it does so. www.acelogix.com.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Well my problem has been solved by anandk.
Thanks anandk.

The thread may be closed , moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom