How to build GUI in c++?

umeshtangnu

NULL_PTR
not right bro!!!
he is right Visual C++ or its more technical term MFC supports gui building with minimal need for writing code for GUI
what you are talking about is Visual C(win32sdk),which uses C to call Win32 functions .
On Win Platform best way to code the GUI is MFC .for multiplatform you can use QT,WxWindows,GTK,JUCE, etc etc .Its upto u which GUI library you want to use but i will recommend that as you are a newbie is this field its better to go with low level API's first so as you what that boiler plate code is doing .
On windows you can refer Petzold and nothing Petzold is enough for everyone .
Once you are comfortable move to a GUI library

But

Last edited:

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
he is right Visual C++ or its more technical term MFC supports gui building with minimal need for writing code for GUI
what you are talking about is Visual C(win32sdk),which uses C to call Win32 functions.

not right bro....

Visual C++ or its more technical term MFC - as far as my understanding goes both are very different... MS VC++ is not MFC.... VC++ is an IDE. MFC is a liabrary.

VC++ supports gui building with minimal need for writing code for GUI - this is relative. I meant it does not support drag and drop like mechanism of VB.NET. anything is much less code vs Win API..

what you are talking about is Visual C(win32sdk) - Visual C? doesnt ring any bells for me.. (VC++ does.. :p)
Win32SDK - actually... i was talking about Windows 32 bit API.. SDK or no SDK...

On Win Platform best way to code the GUI is MFC. for multiplatform you can use QT,WxWindows,GTK,JUCE, etc etc. Its upto u which GUI library you want to use but i will recommend that as you are a noob is this field its better to go with low level API's first so as you what that boiler plate code is doing.

On windows you can refer Petzold and nothing Petzold is enough for everyone. Once you are comfortable move to a GUI library.

On Win Platform best way to code the GUI is MFC - MFC adds a lot of overhead and is not ideal as far as i know... although MFC can help u work faster so its a a tradeoff ill say rather than calling MFC the best way....

for multiplatform you can use QT,WxWindows,GTK,JUCE, etc etc - Gtk is something as powerful as Win32 API - apart from multi-platform, its pretty easy vs Win32 API. So thats always a good way to go....

i will recommend that as you are a noob is this field its better to go with low level API's first so as you know what that boiler plate code is doing - Hey 1stly - Win API is serious business, not for noobs. 2nd API code is faster than MFC code anyday. 3rd - I dont think MFC or API are the solution here...

OP mentioned earlier that he's a graphic designer, and a hobbyist programmer, thats exactly whom VB.NET is for... He should go with VB.NET no issues about handles, winprocs.. etc..

drag & drop gui with easy to implement logic!!! :) :)

I hope OP goes for

Last edited:

umeshtangnu

NULL_PTR
Visual C++ or its more technical term MFC - as far as my understanding goes both are very different... MS VC++ is not MFC.... VC++ is an IDE. MFC is a liabrary.
actually the terms are interchangeable . i means both ide and the MFC .
eg
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 is the latest version of the industry-standard programming language for professionals. And "Programming Visual C++, Fifth Edition", is the newest edition of the book that's become the industry-standard text. Newly expanded and updated,
quoted from here

VC++ supports gui building with minimal need for writing code for GUI - this is relative. I meant it does not support drag and drop like mechanism of VB.NET. anything is much less code vs Win API..
check the attachment for the drag n drop sample

what you are talking about is Visual C(win32sdk) - Visual C? doesnt ring any bells for me.. (VC++ does.. :p)
Win32SDK - actually... i was talking about Windows 32 bit API.. SDK or no SDK...
every API is wrapper over win32sdk on windows platform ,it is the most basic way to build any application on windows

On Win Platform best way to code the GUI is MFC - MFC adds a lot of overhead and is not ideal as far as i know... although MFC can help u work faster so its a a tradeoff ill say rather than calling MFC the best way....
ya the overhead would have been problem if we still had AMD K2-6 procs.
and same overheads are found with other GUI libs.
i will recommend that as you are a noob is this field its better to go with low level API's first so as you know what that boiler plate code is doing - Hey 1stly - Win API is serious business, not for noobs.
its looks like that believe me it is for more easy than it looks
2nd API code is faster than MFC code anyday.
also faster than everything else.
3rd - I dont think MFC or API are the solution here...
OP mentioned earlier that he's a graphic designer, and a hobbyist programmer, thats exactly whom VB.NET is for... He should go with VB.NET no issues about handles, winprocs.. etc..

drag & drop gui with easy to implement logic!!! :) :)

I hope OP goes for
then C# will be better as the syntax is similar to C++ .

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I would like to put a reminder that personal slurs and patronising tone of posting is NOT allowed in this forum. Kindly recheck and edit out your posts yourself, you have 8 hours. Would be beneficial for your forum health, otherwise someone is going to get hurt. Bit sick editing out myself tbh.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 is the latest version of the industry-standard programming language for professionals. And "Programming Visual C++, Fifth Edition", is the newest edition of the book that's become the industry-standard text. Newly expanded and updated

What are u trying to tell here?? Its from 98 that time VS6(Hence VC++ 6.0) was probably out, there's 1 reference to that and there's a reference to a book named "programming for VC++" nowhere is mentioned that terms are interchangable....

although f u want to argue about an IDE's name being used in place of a libraries name.... ill be more than happy to post you some links from wiki.... :D

every API is wrapper over win32sdk on windows platform ,it is the most basic way to build any application on windows

1. No API is a wrapper over win32sdk because its a win32sdk is a SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT. and wrapping API over an sdk dont make sense.
2. every API is wrapper over win32API on windows platform ,it is the most basic way to build any application on windows. but yeah - that's not true in entirity, either!!! :)

ya the overhead would have been problem if we still had AMD K2-6 procs.
and same overheads are found with other GUI libs.
yeah right... we shud also throw away all the algorithms that make our softwares more efficient... its not like were running K6-2 right? - wrong attitude bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its looks like that believe me it is for more easy than it looks
There's a looooooooooot of things u need to rmr all at the same time!!!! Codes are really really long dude, how is that easy in any way...

A year back I made a calculator its a 1000 page code!!!! Ok, metphorically spkng, but u get my point?!

then C# will be better as the syntax is similar to C++.
Java is better than C#.NET. Dont know why this language exists??! Also dont know why Petzold switched to C#. but still for hobbyist programmers, nothing beats VB.NET! ;)

Last thing - What the heck!!!!! Im using VS2008 and theres no tools in my toolbox when im doing VC++....???! What version are you using??! :O

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I guess VC++ MFC and VC++ Win32 projects works in diff. way.

VC++ Win32 needs coding manually which we are talking about from the very beginning.

And may be MFC Projects are more like VB.NET / C#

As I remember learning VC++ Win32, you need to write raw code to do everything, draw windows using handles and all.

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
Vc++ or VC# is the best
They are very easy to use
Can make very elaborate forms and gui
Looks like it will be supported in WP7

Top Bottom