how should i update ubuntu 6.06 to 6.10 using 6.10 cd.??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sav_more

Journeyman
i have ubuntu 6.06 LTS installed.
got the iso of 6.10 frm chip mag cd.i have burnt this image on a cd.
how do i go about updating without using a net connection.

i tried the commands

sudo apt-cdrom add
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

but it started downloading something from the net...
i have a dial up conn.so it is not possible for me to update ovet the net.
so how do i update just using the cd rom.

also
i have installed most of the restricted formats and softwares...will i have to install these all over again after updating.??

freebird

Debian Rocks!
upgrading via edgycd also u may need someother extra updated pkgs from ubuntu repos get downloaded!
though u can go adding ubuntu edgy cd into repository list using "sudo apt-cdrom add " -beware u need to insert the cd or synaptic>repo>add cdrom option
infact even if u put the edgy cd in dapper,a popup dialog may come to ask whether to add this cd to /etc/apt/sources.list.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
so how shuld i go about this upgrade.
can u please give me some steps so that i dont go wrong..

and how about my question bout the installed restricted formats and other software?
wil i hav to install all these again or will they remain unaffected(maybe they will just get updated???)

thanks

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Do you really need to upgrade?
Dapper is more stable than edgy. And the changes they made to edgy weren't much visible at user level. Fiesty is expected to be something worth upgrading to, for everyone.

OP
sav_more

sav_more

Journeyman
edgy not worth upgrading.u really think so?
had read about som problems in edgy's stablity regarding xserver,applications,nvidia,ati drivers..but thought these r some random problems people are facing.
hmmmm feisty is releasin on april 19th..i think i can wait if edgy is not stable.
thanks

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Edgy is more cutting edge (relatively) so there have been problems while upgrading to edgy and also dapper is LTS so doesn't make much of a sense to upgrade, unless you need something that's available in edgy but not in dapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom