how often do u guys format and reinstall your OS

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I've installed Win7 64bit 4 months back that to install Kies....

Prior to that I had WinXP in my system. XP was installed on May 2008 when I bought this system...never a problem or BSOD.

I think, if u r playing safe with ur PC and use proper antivirus programs, u might not need to reinstall OS frequently.

I remember in my college days, due to a faulty RAM I had to install XP twice everyday, then install Java, then practice some programming...was a routine for me. (n00b of me as I checked everything for a problem but the RAM)

Once a frnd of me asked him to show how to install Java (we had just started Java then) and I started installing XP. He was so shocked...that he needs to format his PC to install Java. It took me couple of moments to make him understand that I'm not giving him half info or hiding any secret settings to run Java smoothly :D

Romonster

Broken In
^^^ Dedication.......

When I first got my hands on XP, i used to reinstall it every week but then i got bored after a few weeks...:lol:

Now i installed xp, installed essential programs, tweaked it to perfection and made image of my drive using Macrium Reflect and burned it to a DVD.
Whenever i feel like formatting i just restore the image and everything is fine under 10 minutes :D

prashantvrm

Doing It In A Better Way
About 1 yr ago i need to format it every 2 weaks but now i use XP+7+ubuntu for 2 months.
But i am gonna reinstall these 3 on 1 JAN.

About 1 yr ago i need to format it every 2 weaks but now i use XP+7+ubuntu for 2 months.
But i am gonna reinstall these 3 on 1 JAN.

Last edited:

papul1993

not a newbie.....
btw is there any linux person here who hasn't had to reinstall their OS for the past 1-1.5 years ?

two years. But I messed something so had to reinstall. But the current archlinux installation on my new computer was installed on march this year. Planning not to reinstall again as long as I can.

_VascoZ_

Right off the assembly line
Windows: I prefer 'repairing' instead of a fresh install everytime.

Linux: Only when there's a major release of Ubuntu.

OpenSolaris: Same as linux!

abhijangda

Padawan
I use Win XP and Fedora. I use Fedora mostly. But reinstall both Win XP and Fedora only when there is any major release of Fedora!!
I mean after every 6 months!! :)

papul1993

not a newbie.....
if you use a rolling linux distribution like archlinux or debian, you need not reinstall you os once every 6 months or so. For more info please search for rolling linux distributions. Also for the newbies to linux check out linux mint debian. Its also a rolling distro but comes preconfigured.

vav

Broken In
used 2 format it often
but now hardly format my Xp machine.
may be i am getting little lazy.thinking of installing win 7 for months

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Never. Only when I need to 'change the OS'. Major PITA installing all applications again. Specially games.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
^
Create an image and use that instead of a clean install.
Or slipstream Software.

And I never re-install games. Install them on a separate partition, just create shortcuts when you format. Some games check for registry entries instead of recreating them though.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
cant believe so many people just reinstall the OS, its such a pain to reinstall OS and then install all the required applications. I dont remember when did I last actually reinstalled OS ....... I have always created full C image using Norton Ghost (DOS Version). Once the OS is installed with all the drivers, applications, browsers and every damm single thing I require I simply create a Norton Ghost image and keep it on my D drive. If things go wrong (which usually does after couple of months) all I do is format C: and reload my image. Brings back all my applications, drivers and every single thing I originally installed in just under 20 minutes ........ who cares to reinstall just the OS .....

All the data is safely stored in all other drivers .....
That's what I tried to say on #7. Buy an original OS, Internet Security/AV and done. No idea, why you need to re-install a OS. Jesus.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
if you use a rolling linux distribution like archlinux or debian, you need not reinstall you os once every 6 months or so.
:| Debian ain't a rolling distro. Sure there's "sid" and Aptosid (Sidux), but you can't generalize and say Debian is a rolling distro. :/

For more info please search for rolling linux distributions. Also for the newbies to linux check out linux mint debian. Its also a rolling distro but comes preconfigured.
Yeah that's a good suggestion.

Top Bottom