How much power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
I want to know how much power my system consumes without the monitor on. Or how to calculate it.

my specs are:
P4 1.6 Ghz
via 845 mobo
640 mb 133 mhz sdram
7.2k seagate hard disk
5.4k seagate hark disk
1 dvd writer + 1 CD ROM
Geforce 4 mx 440 128 MB
Creative 5.1 live

Also, is it okay to leave the PC on during the night (or for long periods) for downloading stuff n' all?
Another thing, is it possible to reduce the clock speed of the cpu to save power? (speedstep?)

EDIT: Also, what does the "video Level" on my monitor OSD mean? and what is the difference between 0.7 and 1.0?

Thanks
Milind

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10488&highlight=24+7

this will answer ur question abt keeping the PC on 24/7...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
1. It's virtually impossible to calculate the amount of power consumed as there are many variables involved, and it fluctuates according to what your computer is doing.

It would be possible to measure it with some good equipment, but since I have not actually done the measurement, here's a rough guesstimate -

CPU + mobo + RAM + Gfx card --- 60-120 W (idle to heavy gaming)
HDD --- 15 W each
DVD Writer, CD-ROM drive --- 5W-25W each (idle to R/W)
Creative 5.1 Speakers --- 15W-70W (idle to full power)

2. The answer to whether it's OK to leave it on is complex. I posted something about this in another thread some days ago, but I can't recall the thread at the moment.

The short answer is yes, every component is designed to be able to stand a continuous power-up state. And it may be argued that those compnents are under more stress at the moment they are being powered up. This is why some people claim that it's better to NEVER turn off your computer.

However, those same components undergo less but more extended stress while on. Moving parts like HDDs and fans are subjected to mechanical wear and tear, while purely electrical components are under thermal stress.

My personal opinion is that it's OK to leave it on as long as you need it to do something, but turn it off if it's going to be idle for an extended period.

3. Technically yes, reducing clock speed will reduce CPU power drain, and also produce less heat and extend the life of your CPU. But the saving in terms of electricity bill or UPS battery drain will be very small.

4. These stand for 0.7 Volts and 1.0 Volts. They are two different standard values of the strength (in terms of voltage) of the picture information your graphics card sends to your monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom