How many volts/amps is in 6 pin PCIe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balaji2525

Broken In
My power supply, cooler master extreme power plus 600w has two 18A/12 volt rails and two 6 pin PCIe power connectors.

I bought xfx HD 6750 1GB DDR5 few days back it comes with one 6 pin PCIe connector.

I knew CM600 is not a good PSU, only 70% efficient but i hope it can power up HD 6750 as its TDP is only 86w.

My question is how many amps does the 6 pin PCIe from the power supply put out?

How much amps will available for the graphic card from my 12v rail and 6 pin PCIe connector?

will there be enough amp available to overclock my HD 6750?

(only one 12v/18A rail connected to motherboard)

My config: I5 2500k, 8GB Transcend RAM and Intel DH67BL Board, 500GB WD HDD

doomgiver

Warframe
i suggest you change your psu, before anything else.
CM extreme power series is notorious for its high failure rates.

OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
i suggest you change your psu, before anything else.
CM extreme power series is notorious for its high failure rates.

I dont't get you all folks why you all are against Cooler Master extreme power plus 600?
Why should I go for another when everything is ok with my PSU?

I didn't see any one complaining about the CM600 PSU from their personal experience in any forum. All these opinion are from the results of the lab tests, you guys are giving guidance from the lab results, Thank you for that. But it is clearly written in the specification that it is 70% efficient so consider it as 100% efficient 450watt PSU.In the lab tests it fails above 475watts which is obvious. I am not pushing my PSU to its extreme and expecting a 550 to 600w output from it.

i5 2500k + HD 6750 = 95w + 86w = 181W.

The failure cases are always seen in the 12v rail. I think my GPU and CPU will not suck that much power from it.
181w from 12v rail and from 6pin PCIe connector(HD 6750 has 6 pin connector) may not be a big deal for my CM600 , I guess CM 600 can deliver that.

Up to 450w power draw CM600 is safe

Link : Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

doomgiver

Warframe
safe, sure, its got spikes, stuttering and loads of noise.
and you never know when it might blow up inside your cabinet, taking along all your costly hardware with it. i hope you actually read that article. if i was you, i'd run everything at stock and not put ANY kind of load on the computer, not even opening tdf, as everyone knows, the site is filled with heavy flash ads, and it puts a strain on the computer.

its not just one psu, the entire extremepower series has a bad name.
how does one get a bad name?
1. dedicated anti-brand image slur-campaign
2. genuine sucky-ness
its upto you what is happening with CM eXtreme power units.

and its not a 450W psu with 100% efficiency.
its a psu with ~70% efficiency, no matter what wattage its pulling.
by your reckoning, this would be a 400% efficient 100W psu.
awesome!!! you have just overturned 500 years of physics on its head, and created energy from nothing at all!!!
:reading:->:orly:->:rofl:->:brainiac:

OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
safe, sure, its got spikes, stuttering and loads of noise.
and you never know when it might blow up inside your cabinet, taking along all your costly hardware with it. i hope you actually read that article. if i was you, i'd run everything at stock and not put ANY kind of load on the computer, not even opening tdf, as everyone knows, the site is filled with heavy flash ads, and it puts a strain on the computer.

its not just one psu, the entire extremepower series has a bad name.
how does one get a bad name?
1. dedicated anti-brand image slur-campaign
2. genuine sucky-ness
its upto you what is happening with CM eXtreme power units.

and its not a 450W psu with 100% efficiency.
its a psu with ~70% efficiency, no matter what wattage its pulling.
by your reckoning, this would be a 400% efficient 100W psu.
awesome!!! you have just overturned 500 years of physics on its head, and created energy from nothing at all!!!
:reading:->:orly:->:rofl:->:brainiac:

It is not that i make energy out of nothing dude. I am just saying, as long as i stay with low power consumption everything will be fine.

Are there any issues on using corsair PSU with Intel DH67BL mother board?

When i was about to buy the PSU, i prefered corsair, But shop guy said ,he cannot assure warranty on the corsair PSU if I use it with Intel mobo and Corsair PSU may not work .

I just came across complaint : *forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95421

That is why i was forced to go with CM600

Last edited:

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Yes, it is true that here at TDF we do not recommend Cooler Master PSUs because of their inferior build qualities and somewhat low level capacitors. But that does not mean that every Cooler Master PSU will blast or explode and take away his owner because he made a mistake of buying it. Simply No. The fact is, your PSU is not 80+ rated, so it's efficiency is typically 70% (not truly). But still, (70/100)*600=420 W. That means it can deliver around 400 W of power on its rails.

EDIT - Saw some reviews that CM Extreme Power 600 is NOT a 600W PSU. It might be lower, so i would suggest you don't put too much stress on it.

Now, judging by your hardware, your recommended PSU wattage comes out to be around 319, which is quite low, and won't stress your PSU much.

Verdict, no need to change PSU, it's OK.

Now, seeing your other query, a 6 pin PCIe power connector gives 12V as it gets its power from 12V rail, the PCIe slot itself gives not more than 75W, so sometimes for higher end GPUs, external power in the form of PCIe 6 pin connector is needed.

Also, you can overclock your GPU but i won't recommend doing that on this PSU, but still if you intend to, don't overvolt it, just increase the clock speeds and you will be good to go. (Overclocking won't give a "boost" of performance, only mild changes like 3-4 FPS difference in games also resulting in more heat produced)

Last edited:
OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
Yes, it is true that here at TDF we do not recommend Cooler Master PSUs because of their inferior build qualities and somewhat low level capacitors. But that does not mean that every Cooler Master PSU will blast or explode and take away his owner because he made a mistake of buying it. Simply No. The fact is, your PSU is not 80+ rated, so it's efficiency is typically 70% (not truly). But still, (70/100)*600=420 W. That means it can deliver around 400 W of power on its rails.

EDIT - Saw some reviews that CM Extreme Power 600 is NOT a 600W PSU. It might be lower, so i would suggest you don't put too much stress on it.

Now, judging by your hardware, your recommended PSU wattage comes out to be around 319, which is quite low, and won't stress your PSU much.

Verdict, no need to change PSU, it's OK.

Now, seeing your other query, a 6 pin PCIe power connector gives 12V as it gets its power from 12V rail, the PCIe slot itself gives not more than 75W, so sometimes for higher end GPUs, external power in the form of PCIe 6 pin connector is needed.

Also, you can overclock your GPU but i won't recommend doing that on this PSU, but still if you intend to, don't overvolt it, just increase the clock speeds and you will be good to go. (Overclocking won't give a "boost" of performance, only mild changes like 3-4 FPS difference in games also resulting in more heat produced)

I was planning for better graphic card but due to my PSU limitation i opted for HD 6750 whose power requirement is low (86w) and also it has PCIe connector through which card can get more power even if power delivered by 12v rail is low.

I think it is better not to overclock and remain safe.

doomgiver

Warframe
It is not that i make energy out of nothing dude. I am just saying, as long as i stay with low power consumption everything will be fine.

Are there any issues on using corsair PSU with Intel DH67BL mother board?

When i was about to buy the PSU, i prefered corsair, But shop guy said ,he cannot assure warranty on the corsair PSU if I use it with Intel mobo and Corsair PSU may not work .

I just came across complaint : CX 500 uk doesn't work with intel dh67cl - The Corsair Support Forums

That is why i was forced to go with CM600

im not pointing fingers here, and nor am i demonizing you.
my post was in jest.

but i have to add this :
you find weirdos in every breed.
that malfunctioning corsair and the working cooler master are exceptions, my friend, not the rulr.

also, you got swindled by your pc guy.(dont worry, you are neither the first, nor the last.

by the time a corsair unit would have failed under warranty, a typical CM psu would have to be replaced/repaired quite a few times.

sukesh1090

Adam young
@balaji2525,
even if the cx500 had problems you could have got it replaced from corsair.corsair has got a very good after sale support.but if you by chance blow up the extreme power plus you won't get any replacement.better you could have opened the thread before buying rather than after the purchase.now its done so don't stress your psu and live your life.

OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
@balaji2525,
even if the cx500 had problems you could have got it replaced from corsair.corsair has got a very good after sale support.but if you by chance blow up the extreme power plus you won't get any replacement.better you could have opened the thread before buying rather than after the purchase.now its done so don't stress your psu and live your life.

But in that corsair forum he mentioned, his corsair PSU works fine but has compatibility problem with intel mobo.

link: CX 500 uk doesn't work with intel dh67cl - The Corsair Support Forums

I spent 4k on CM600 but I didn't buy it intentionally, I was left with no choice other than going with CM600

Really any such compatibility issue exist with corsair PSU and Intel mobo like posted in that link?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - don't worry much - the GPU will just run fine with the CPU and PSU you have.

sukesh1090

Adam young
But in that corsair forum he mentioned, his corsair PSU works fine but has compatibility problem with intel mobo.

I spent 4k on CM600 but I didn't buy it intentionally, I was left with no choice other than going with CM600

Really any such compatibility issue exist with corsair PSU and Intel mobo like posted in that link?

it is just one case buddy.so looking at just one incident you can tell that it may have any compatibility issues but what i am wondering is how the hell that shop keeper came to know this thing.you just shoot a mail to corsair asking your doubt.lets see what they will reply.

OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
it is just one case buddy.so looking at just one incident you can tell that it may have any compatibility issues but what i am wondering is how the hell that shop keeper came to know this thing.you just shoot a mail to corsair asking your doubt.lets see what they will reply.

shop keeper didn't know that corsair forum story sukesh. I remember he was not having the stock with him(both corsair as well as CM) when i was there, he called to someone(dealer or may be distributor). then he told me there are are warranty and compatibility issues if i use corsair and intel mobo. He strongly recommended me to go with Cooler Master. I didn't believe him first so,I googled and i came across that post in corsair forum then i believed what he was saying might be true. I was about to ignore him and order for corsair PSU. but he said, if i am going with corsair and it if PSU not working with my mobo he cannot do anything , take back or give me a replacement.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But it is clearly written in the specification that it is 70% efficient so consider it as 100% efficient 450watt PSU.In the lab tests it fails above 475watts which is obvious.

. But still, (70/100)*600=420 W. That means it can deliver around 400 W of power on its rails.
You guys don't know what efficiency is. :p Efficiency = power deliver to the PC / power taken from the wall socket.

Case of a 70% efficient 250w rated PSU. To deliver 250w power to the PC, it will consume 357w~ power from the socket. 250/357 = 0.70.

Case of a 85% efficient 250w rated PSU. To deliver 250w power to the PC, it will consume 294w~ power from the socket. 250/294 = 0.85.

@balaji
Now coming to the point of Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600w. If you think we are NOT recommending here because of based on the so called "lab" results, then you sir have no idea.

I guess you purchased this unit for roughly Rs. 4000. It isn't as good as PSUs available for half its price. You can get a *much* better unit for the same price from Seasonic/Corsair. We recommend to SAVE your money.

CM EPP 600w is rated for 600w at 70% efficiency. (Efficiency is actually a curve - it varies at different loads btw) It means, to deliver 600w, the PSU will take in ~857w. (but it can't deliver more than 450w properly. Voltage regulation and ripple become dangerous.)

Interpret the Hardware Secrets review properly.
Therefore, it is only safe to pull up to 450 W from this power supply – above this value this power supply can make your computer to run unstable.
This is NOT related to "efficiency" at all. This simply means, this unit is overrated and should be simply renamed to a 450w unit.

One odd issue. No one I know has faced any such problem. Lots of people in this forum are using Corsair units with Intel motherboards. Proper details aren't even mentioned in that thread - what happend later etc.

You've wasted money with CM EPP 600w though. Corsair CX430v2 for Rs. 2100 is better. But for your CPU and GPU, it is fine for the time being.

OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
You guys don't know what efficiency is. :p Efficiency = power deliver to the PC / power taken from the wall socket.

Case of a 70% efficient 250w rated PSU. To deliver 250w power to the PC, it will consume 357w~ power from the socket. 250/357 = 0.70.

Case of a 85% efficient 250w rated PSU. To deliver 250w power to the PC, it will consume 294w~ power from the socket. 250/294 = 0.85.

@balaji
Now coming to the point of Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600w. If you think we are NOT recommending here because of based on the so called "lab" results, then you sir have no idea.

I guess you purchased this unit for roughly Rs. 4000. It isn't as good as PSUs available for half its price. You can get a *much* better unit for the same price from Seasonic/Corsair. We recommend to SAVE your money.

CM EPP 600w is rated for 600w at 70% efficiency. (Efficiency is actually a curve - it varies at different loads btw) It means, to deliver 600w, the PSU will take in ~857w. (but it can't deliver more than 450w properly. Voltage regulation and ripple become dangerous.)

Interpret the Hardware Secrets review properly.

This is NOT related to "efficiency" at all. This simply means, this unit is overrated and should be simply renamed to a 450w unit.

One odd issue. No one I know has faced any such problem. Lots of people in this forum are using Corsair units with Intel motherboards. Proper details aren't even mentioned in that thread - what happend later etc.

You've wasted money with CM EPP 600w though. Corsair CX430v2 for Rs. 2100 is better. But for your CPU and GPU, it is fine for the time being.

Thanks ico, it was good explanation. any suggestion what i should do now? Corsair CX430v2 will be ok forever or just for time being?

OP
B

balaji2525

Broken In
Keep what you have now. It's not being stressed, so okay.

To be on a safer side, i may be able to change CM600 in future. so let me know some better PSU around 3 to 3.5k. i came across Corsair 500 CX V2 UK, is it a good one?

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
You guys don't know what efficiency is. Efficiency = power deliver to the PC / power taken from the wall socket.

What i know about efficiency is right. What i interpreted wrong was about applying that to a PSU. Efficiency is defined as the Power given as Output/Input Power. I regarded 600 W as input power (i thought that was what these markings on PSUs meant) and then gave the true output power. But i think it's the other way. 600W is OUTPUT power (correct me if i am wrong). And we need to find INPUT power using the given efficiency. :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
What i know about efficiency is right. What i interpreted wrong was about applying that to a PSU. Efficiency is defined as the Power given as Output/Input Power. I regarded 600 W as input power (i thought that was what these markings on PSUs meant) and then gave the true output power. But i think it's the other way. 600W is OUTPUT power (correct me if i am wrong). And we need to find INPUT power using the given efficiency. :)

Completely correct. But you framed the sentence wrong at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom