How many started downloading Windows 8 CP?

Did you started downloading Windows 8?

• Total voters

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Consumer preview seems to be even less friendly to the desktop user than developer preview. the number of clicks required to do a simple job has doubled compared to windows 7. And even now there seems to be no integration between the start screen and the desktop. It's frustrating to say the least.

In win 7 I shutdown the PC with a single click (Press on start button and release on shut down).. in win 8 it took some 5-6 clicks, didn't even bother counting as I'm not gonna boot into it again.. at least, not until Windows 9 comes out.

And in any case, going by the history of Microsoft, Windows 8 is bound to be crap coz every alternate version of Windows has been (remember ME & Vista??).

I can bet that MS will release a crappy windows 8 this year and then in early 2014 it will release Windows 9 which will actually be a good OS. This way MS forces a large number of people to buy the OS unnecessarily and makes extra money

paw1

Broken In
windows 8 = Good ideas, absolutely crappy implementation.

Take for instance the messaging app. Its nice to have an integrated app that supports win live messenger, facebook, and has room for others (google talk?). However, you cant see your online friends from within the app (you have to click on a contact to see if he/she is online) and you cant send offline messages.

Hundreds of other such examples i could give.

After seeing windows 8, I can't trust MS to ever deliver a refined OS in the future.

digitaltab

In the zone
hi all, i just don't want to create another thread for this so can any of you describe what is the actual difference between this beta and the developer preview launched earlier???

because i installed the developer preview which was given in DIGIT NOV. 2011 DVD, and i didn't like it all, it was more user friendly for touchscreen monitors,...
thanks.

Consumer preview seems to be even less friendly to the desktop user than developer preview. the number of clicks required to do a simple job has doubled compared to windows 7. And even now there seems to be no integration between the start screen and the desktop. It's frustrating to say the least.

In win 7 I shutdown the PC with a single click (Press on start button and release on shut down).. in win 8 it took some 5-6 clicks, didn't even bother counting as I'm not gonna boot into it again.. at least, not until Windows 9 comes out.

And in any case, going by the history of Microsoft, Windows 8 is bound to be crap coz every alternate version of Windows has been (remember ME & Vista??).

I can bet that MS will release a crappy windows 8 this year and then in early 2014 it will release Windows 9 which will actually be a good OS. This way MS forces a large number of people to buy the OS unnecessarily and makes extra money

quite an awesome conclusion that is!!!
practically true...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Heads up guys:

Windows 8 can't be installed on a 1 GB RAM, Pen 4 machine. Gives the following error:
*i.imgur.com/uuuux.jpg

Now laugh to your heart's content! :oops:

digitaltab

In the zone
Heads up guys:

Windows 8 can't be installed on a 1 GB RAM, Pen 4 machine. Gives the following error:
*i.imgur.com/uuuux.jpg

Now laugh to your heart's content! :oops:

wtf is that?? :shock:
is that for real???
can't imagine what a lol is the consumer preview:p

someone ask microsoft, what is this "something" that happened... lol!!!

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
I used Windows Developer Preview with my Win7, dual boot for about a month and had a lot to say about it.

1. It's specifically made for touch enabled PC IMO, MetroUI proves it.

2. No "close" or "cross" button on the apps which run from the MetroUI.

3. Startup is fast because Windows 8 first starts then gives you dual boot options. If you select Win7, your computer will restart and then it'l load up Win7 (this proves that Win8 was already loaded when it gave me booting options).

4. For some reason, shut down times were amazing.

5. Nothing to look forward to this "updated" version of windows except for the Kinect support. I think that might revolutionalise the way we interact with our machine.

6. Bad driver support (for Win8 Developer Preview, not sure about consumer preview).

7. Internet Explorer is fast, i admit, but i feel crippled using it with minimal features and controls.

8. Explorer is almost the same, except for the fact that now it has an interface just like MS Office, like tabs on the top for Copy, Paste, Options etc which i think is a good thing IMO.

Anyway for those of you wondering, it ran fine on my system. My config is -

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53 GHz
2GB DDR2
AMD HD 4350
Simmtronics G31 K Motherboard

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Downloaded 32bit in 2 hours flat. Surprisingly craptel didn't throttle my dl speed. Currently unable to install so trying to tweak settings to make it work.

Last edited:
Does the 32bit version run on 1GB RAM ? My laptop's got a Pentium T4400 @ 2.2GHz and 1GB RAM.

Oh and does W8 wipe out the entire HDD when it tries to install, like other Windows releases ? I need it to behave and occupy a single partition I've reserved for it, and NOT make entries on my master boot record.

hdsk.23

~ Harshdeep ~
Does the 32bit version run on 1GB RAM ? My laptop's got a Pentium T4400 @ 2.2GHz and 1GB RAM.

Oh and does W8 wipe out the entire HDD when it tries to install, like other Windows releases ? I need it to behave and occupy a single partition I've reserved for it, and NOT make entries on my master boot record.

they have tool to test whether it will run on ur system or not, but according to min. requirement it will work, and no it does not wipe out entire HDD...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Heads up guys:
Windows 8 can't be installed on a 1 GB RAM, Pen 4 machine.

It turns out it CAN be installed, if a bootable disk is used instead of installing it from another windows. :p

So, it got installed! And here are some screenies which I took!
Windows 8 - Imgur

Personally I wont call the new UI of W8, "revolutionary", since it doesn't exactly fit for a desktop layout. Tile interface is OK until it is used just for mobiles, IMO.

Top Bottom