How many of you are planning to start your career with Infosys?

M

manan

For every IT graduate, working with Infosys is like a dream come true. How many of you are planning to start your career with Infosys? Meet more Infoscions at facebookdotcom/infosysindia

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Is that a choice? I think it takes more than what you plan to take up a job in any software company, specially for freshers. There is a selection criteria, tests, interviews, group discussions etc.

Anyways, Infosys would the last company I will ever work in (Wipro wins the penultimate position). Reason being work ethics and environment. Not to dishearten you but the HR policies in Infosys need serious introspection. On probation you need to check in (swipe your access card) before 8:30 otherwise there is some kind of penalty. Swipe out, also, should be after 6:30 or some stated time. What in the world is that? Now, when everyone is going towards flexible working hours, they are actually heading back. In 2009, during recession they degraded position/pays of many employees (I think that policy is now revoked). I think that was really insulting. These are the two things which I know for sure but there are many other incidents which I "heard" that totally lost my confidence in that organization.

If you get a chance to work in companies like Capgemini, HP, IBM, Accenture, Deloitte etc. you will feel that work is not work anymore but fun (not in actual sense but yes you get the picture). :)

That Probation period of Infosys pwns every companies training left right and centre.

Infi training = Accenture + Wipro + TCS + ( N Companies ) you can think of. Start with infi is one of the best thing that can happen to you. Just 5 months of work and you can enjoy a lot .

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@xtremevicky709: Again, I did not talk about what I didn't know but as "pwn" thing you have used so let me tell you that not so long ago Accenture used to conduct GreenField training which used to be regressive in its own way and there was a demand for those freshers who have gone through that training (now they have started sending their representatives to colleges directly for cost cutting I guess).

About TCS training, many of my friends have taken it and none of them gave any kind of negative feedback so I wonder why it would be any inferior to training provided in Infosys.

Baker

Albicelestes
what i will suggest all for try to get in to some product based companies rather than the service companies like wipro,infi,ctc,tcs,accenture..etc....

the technical exposure that u will get from product based companies cant be compared with service companies....

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
what i will suggest all for try to get in to some product based companies rather than the service companies like wipro,infi,ctc,tcs,accenture..etc....

the technical exposure that u will get from product based companies cant be compared with service companies....

Exactly.

Infy training is not the one that everyone is exaggerating about. It is like other companies, but when it comes to freshers, they drilled down their skills to the core and get the best out of him, while the trainee has to go through some intense training which he don't need at later stage. I even heard that they used to have test's in Maths and Chemistry or Physics (I don't know whether it' s true or not but my GF's friend used to say so).

Also AFAIK CTS, TCS, Accenture has class work environment compared to Infii and still can't believe why people going after infii like this blindly. Certainly, i will not choose infii as a choice if i am going to start my career.

These are all my views and no offense meant. :D

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@Baker: Well one of my friends (same college, same branch, same batch) started his career with Adobe (he is in Amazon now). He writes code and compiles it into programs which I do in my organization. They follow software development life cycle, so do I. I do not know what difference does it make to be in product/service based company. I mean seriously, please let me know here, I may be ignorant. One thing for sure is he gets fatter package than me :)

But according to one news yesterday, Infosys is foraying into developing products of their own. So that might be a plus point for people joining there (in your opinion).

Baker

Albicelestes
ok... let me tell u from my Experince from Both sides

the projects that getting for the service companies from other core companies.. it can be finance,telecom,embeded ,automobile...etc , all these core companies wont outsource their core work , they will only transfer their maintainance projects to service companies so that these companies will maintain at low cost... [there are exception are there but it is very less]

But in product based companies.... all their products will be having huge competitors , in order to compete with those , they need to update with latest technology as well latest market trend... so obviously those products will have more challenges interms of technology as well schedule.... so basically those who are working in product based companies will be knowing what is happening in current market as well as technoology corresponding to their domain

so from my exp there is huge diff in quality of work between both sides.. this is from my own experince....

and finally pay wise.... product based companies will have the edge...

it is just my view.. please feel to disagree...

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@Baker: Well one of my friends (same college, same branch, same batch) started his career with Adobe (he is in Amazon now). He writes code and compiles it into programs which I do in my organization. They follow software development life cycle, so do I. I do not know what difference does it make to be in product/service based company. I mean seriously, please let me know here, I may be ignorant. One thing for sure is he gets fatter package than me :)

But according to one news yesterday, Infosys is foraying into developing products of their own. So that might be a plus point for people joining there (in your opinion).

Product Based Company : Intense Research about the concept and so one will do very advanced concepts in simple way without knowing that he is doing an advanced code.(Here the term depends on person to person)

Service Based Company : Same code what he did in 1 day, they will give you three days or more.

I here compare the persons with same qualification and ability, but in product based companies, learning curve is steep but in service based companies, it is less. Even a guy in my room used to struggle when he had to write the DB values to XML and he was like "Can you help me? I have only 2 weeks to finish this" and I finally ended up helping him.

To keep up with other products, you need to learn everyday and implement it. This way you learn till you die.... :D

It was just one scenario. May be Baker will explain this well...

Baker

Albicelestes
well said furious_gamer....

one more point here need to add is..

for eg: suppose a service company has got requirement from their client and the client will paying the service company for doing the same on schedule , So the priority of the service company is to match with client requiremet ASAP and deliver and get the payment and be happy , here they dont want to think beyond like if we add one more feature this will be having some benefits or not... because they are paying for X requirment and we doing X requirements.....

But in product based companies we are not creating product for particular clients.. we have to create a product that is generic and can be used by X number of customers , and here intially we may come up wit some X features but any of employee found one more feature that can be a benifit to customer we will develop the new feature along with Base feature... here there is always a scope for innovation...

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Yes, product based companies welcome such innovations from employees and even they encourage employees by giving some awards/incentives/prizes. But service based companies, even if you have a idea, your higher authority will simply say "Do what you are assigned with?" or if he thinks you are smart, he'll simply reject it w.o giving any reasons. (Some excpetional companies are there, but not all companies are good in hearing opinion from employees to improve product).

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Yes I agree to those points, but innovation is no one's to keep. It comes out in many ways from the least expected places too. Keeping philosophy aside, it is the nature of assignment/business, already explained beautifully by you, which decides the final deliverable. But still, yes there is no (or very less) scope of innovation in services based industries.

About learning curve, well you will find fools everywhere. I have seen many people who can't speak English properly and are still send to other countries to represent a team. But no organization restricts itself in upgrading their employees, tools, infrastructure etc. My team works on Visual Studio 2010, MOSS 2010, SQL Server 2008, WCF etc.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Yes I agree to those points, but innovation is no one's to keep. It comes out in many ways from the least expected places too. Keeping philosophy aside, it is the nature of assignment/business, already explained beautifully by you, which decides the final deliverable. But still, yes there is no (or very less) scope of innovation in services based industries.

Well, it's just one of key point why i always choosing product based companies. I just don't want to sit idle in office doing just routine work all day.

About learning curve, well you will find fools everywhere. I have seen many people who can't speak English properly and are still send to other countries to represent a team. But no organization restricts itself in upgrading their employees, tools, infrastructure etc. My team works on Visual Studio 2010, MOSS 2010, SQL Server 2008, WCF etc.

Can accept the fact that fools are everywhere, but in SBC, you can even see a guy who doesn't know anything about the product can carry a slide with him and explain abt the deliverable. But in PBC, the guy who topped and managed the product DEV will only explain and only can able to explain. No one can easily study about product as a whole. I see it practically here and saying it purely from my experience.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I get candidates to interview from Infy at times. Most crib about the training, and long bench..!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I get candidates to interview from Infy at times. Most crib about the training, and long bench..!

my friend was in bench for 8 months and finally got into support project and till today she didn't get a chance to get into development. May be infii likes to keep their employees in bench for a year to show how hard it is to sit idle doing nothing.... :D

Baker

Albicelestes
and one more fact here is if you take the finest Product based companies such as intel,cisco,mcafee,novell,huawei,ericssion,nokia.... the work they are assigning to Indian R&D is still not that great stuff when we compare to their Home R&D center....

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ All in all, both companies have their own merits and de-merits and it's upto the candidate to choose what he needs.

Top Bottom