How Many of Us Uses Pirated/Cracked Software

Do u use pirated software?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
It will not be a flame war no matter what anyone has to say about me. I dont believe we can solve the problem of piracy by getting into personal, pointless altercations with each other. The only thing I have always asked that people pay for what they want. If they think they deserve the functionality a program provides, then I think the company has earned the right to be paid for it. (Although like me and icecoolz discussed, we, for our part, would be extremely happy to see prices southbound in favor of volume sales) Most of us can get away with freeware/free software alternatives, instead of resorting to piracy, which I regard as being up there with petty theft. Anything else is just a delusion, in my opinion. But yes, I would really appreciate it if we could avoid personal comments, but you cant stand by and watch someone scream "Piracy Rulez! People who use genuine software are morons" all the time without getting upset.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
To be frank , Ive found Enoonmai's post to be very informative. I never knew there was a vast selection of freeware alternatives for mostly every software we would otherwise use., and I thank him and the others who have pointed them out :D

Due ot the cost I was waiting to upgrade 2 other computers to Win Xp when I felt the price is right, till then Im was using the Licensed versions of Win 98 I have. Recently after I got the Yoper installation disk I happened to install Yoper on one of my computers and was very pleased with performace it offered so I even installed mandrake Linux on another system and soon , once I learn more about Linux, Ill totaly move to Linux .

Now IM trying to convince my Uncle to switch to Linux from this pirated version of Windows his assembler gave him :D

DKant

In the zone
:) Well, that sounds good. In fact, that's what this thread was all about, you have a choice. It's up to you to see it. It's only when u don't, that u start shouting stuff like "Piracy rulez" and so on. Either that, or u r not aware of what piracy really means, or of the fact that it equates to theivery.

But what about gamers? We're stuck with Windows right? :( But even there u have some kind of a choice. i.e: Win XP Pro retails for arnd 7K. But hell just 4 gaming, u don't need it right? Win XP Home is enuf. So, there4, all u have to shell out is arnd 4K. Like that's easy ;), but neway :D.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
mail2and said:
@gnu

i am in india :p i can't even think of going to a lowsy country like usa- the land of apes or europe- the land of eunuches
So if you are in a place where law is weak, you are gonna do illegal things. If police doesn't catch you, you will start stealing things......... right................. A crap like you will say yes.......................
If nobody is ever gonna buy a software, why would ppl do such a lot of investment for softwares............... Piracy is like stealing pots from a potter, stealing rice from a farmer. Can't you pay them not because they desire but they deserve, not because they want but they need.............
By the way, what job do you do or what fo you plan to?? DO you want ppl to steal your products.
Hope you understand a little and if you cannot buy a software, at least don't encourage others to steal...........................
DON'T ENCOURAGE PIRACY!!

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
kurious : support is a major advantage given out to genuine s/w buyers right ??? like OS and AV , plus , customers have to pay for their support once its ended too right ? so , @eno , would ur troubleshooting steps and answering of queries here in the forum , be apart of the "crime" u talk abt ? since most of the s/w people use here is pirated , even the games . so by supporting these people who have pirated s/w and games , u are too a part of the "crime" as u call it ? in a way ur helping out deprives corps of valuable cash they might have gotten if they had people paying for support . Most companies and even linux distros , have their cash flowing in , not only because of selling their main product , but also from supporting it for years together .

in simple terms , by refusing to helping out people here who use pirated s/w , u would be doing the "RIGHT" thing u believe in . would u stop supporting people here or support only those using genuine s/w and not answer queries for others ?? If "stealing" as u say it is wrong , isnt "supporting" copied s/w also a crime of the same degree ???

funny , few see it as stealing when u "pirate" and install a pirated OS on other systems , without a license , while others look at it as "helping" others when they share their copy of the OS .

like i said just kurious :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
firstly, for people to buy software you need to price them right. Software should fit in the "purchasing parity" of the population.

As it is, software is an intangible commodity. You do not "physically" feel the presence of it. That is why, the "marginal utility" of software is nearly 0.

Now when a consumer doesn't derive any utility from a product, he refrians from buying it. And when the price is outside the consumer's purchasing power, it eats up all the "consumer's surplus" of the guy using a PC.

Under such a circumstances, rational consumers won't buy such software.

Enoonmai pointed out that if ppl buy a pc for 45k why can't they spend the 6k extra? I would like to bring it out that not many people buy computers for 45k...

Even i have bought my computer for less than 20k. Now with such a cut-throat budget, can you expect me to purchase the geniune version of a software whose cost is 6,000/20,000*100= 30% of the cost of hardware.

I personally use an alternative to windows. Why? Not because i am an anti-piracy enthusiast. Its because I feel much more satisfied with a 100 times more secure and 10 times more stable OS.

I am shortly moving to a MAC. Now i will get an OS bundled with the pack. I will even buy the future versions of the fantastic OS. Why? because it gives me "utility".

According to the rules of economics, the demand is low when the price is high. When the price reduces, the demand increases.

The software market can aptly be termed as an "Oligopoly" i.e. a market structure with intense competition between few firms.

In such a case, companies like Microsoft defy the ideals of an oligopoly. Oligopoly represents a market where the prices of all products of all "sellers" are nearly same. If the price of one product of one seller(m$) is absurdly high, the consumer moves to other products of "other" sellers or resorts to unfair practices i.e. he uses pirated copies in case of the software industry

So the bottomline is.... "reduce the price, get the consumer"

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@klinux: True buddy. But you cant go around asking people at the forums here "Do you own a legal or a pirated copy? If you have a pirated copy, we wont help you" We do that for games and other software, but you cant entire shun a user's request for help, even if they're using pirated software.

But when it comes to the support we provide here, we are not cheating the company out of their profits. I posted the results of a Linux survey somewhere else in the forum (I will find and copy-paste the link here too) where it was stated that even though corporate users pay for support "options" more than 60% of them tend to use the free support available online. In fact, even a company like Microsoft would rather you do the search online rather than bug them. :D In case you aren't convinced, here's an article by Monte Enbysk, Managing Editor of the Microsoft Small Business Center.

Don't make the call: Go online for tech support

Also, this might work in a country like the US where every third person pays for the software and doesn't mind shelling out over $120 on telephonic support for their products. However, I have personally called Microsoft Tech Support to resolve an issue with my activation (I had a major hardware change) and some other issues, and I was not asked to make any payment of any sort, nor was I asked for my credit card number. All I was asked for were scans of my COA and registration information. So, we at the forums aren't cheating companies out of their support, since the money they make out of end-user/SOHO support is so little that it barely covers the costs of maintaining tech support staff for covering such issues. They make their bulk by supporting corporates working on multi-installation OSes, Windows 2000 Advanced server, Exchange, SharePoint Team Portal, SQL Server Enterprise or any of the myriad enterprise applications they make. And I dont think we ever had a single case related to these at the forums, or that we helped. :D

@mail2and: Economic terms notwithstanding, yes, more people would buy the software legally if the companies decide to lower the prices in favor of volume sales. There are some people however, who wouldnt buy legal software if it came dirt cheap. Like someone at the forums said, he said he wouldnt pay 500 bucks for Windows, because he could get it for 50 bucks - a "rebel without a cause" attitude thats pulling the industry down. You said you're buying a Mac and will purchase upgrades because of the "utility value." But then when it comes to an end-user like myself who use my PC as an all-round solution from the mundane tasks such as browsing to playing games to coding. For me, I value functionality more than anything else, and I require an extremely high degree of application compatibility, so I chose Windows XP. I also run Linux, but I dont see myself replacing one with the other totally at least in the near future. So, I would rather not spend $115 on Mac OS X, the most safe/secure OS, and I cant look at the second most secure, OpenBSD as a replacement to my Windows box, so I choose the third most secure OS - Windows XP SP2. So what I am wondering is, you're willing to pay $115 for security because it also comes bundled along with the hardware. So, my question is, why the aversion to paying the same $115 for Windows XP, just because you have to buy it separately.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@eno : thats similar to the claims made by those using "copied" s/w too :) . that by using copied s/w big corps arent going to go bankrupt , because they have other products which make up the market share and give them products . in the end , these guys u call criminals are there to profit outta installing copied s/w , they too just wanna help out others like any other guy in the forum :) . heck i think most guys dont even ask their friends for cash to install copies of s/w but do it outta friendship and helping out .

Not sure abt MS , giving support for free , but most other s/w companies and h/w manufacturers , ask custs to pay up hefty amounts at the end of their 1 year or so free tech support contract . thats why tech support contact centers are thriving in india , and are big business too . Companies rely a lot on tech support , koz thats the only way to keep clients satisfied and hope they stay loyal to the product . companies profit doesnt end by just selling the product alone . it goes a lot more beyond that , if they wish to stay on in the competitive s/w and h/w business .

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
LOL, yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe we should best abandon this discussion. We're all correct and we're all wrong in ways. Its just what *I* believe in, thats all. In fact, I think some support is a bit overrated too. I dont particularly like Symantec charging $30 to tell a user to just reinstall NAV. Thats just horrible, in my opinion. So, yes, maybe I am being a bother on tech support people by helping at the forums and maybe you're right about the people helping each other out with the OS too. But I have to shake my head in disgust when I find assemblers gratuitously loading software like Photoshop or VS or Oracle or Office 2003 on them just for the heck of it. All I am hoping for is that the people who use software like Photoshop and Microsoft Office, would learn the error of their ways and switch to alternatives like GIMP or OpenOffice.org instead of pirating them. Why pirate when you can afford not to? :D Anyway, I think its high time we let this thread sink. Just trying to point the way out for the pirates, and at least create a feeling of existential angst, so that they might at least look the other way when it comes to pirating. :D

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
i won't buy microsoft products in my life. because, i don't require my PEE CEE for gaming. hell games won't even run on my on-board 32 mb geforce 2 mx.

I only require an office app, an ftp client, an IM client, a media player and 2 browsers... i think linux gives that much to me and better than windows....

my only reason to move to mac is to cut hardware upgrade costs... newer mac vesions are faster than the older ones...

Panther is a hell lot faster than Jaguar.. and the recent tiger "seeds" are known to be faster than panther...

but can i say that about longhorn? what did billva tell? i heard 512 mb ram eh? the fact is panther which is atleast 5 yrs ahead of longhorn can work on 128 mb ram but wind"woes" cant!

think over it

Thilak

Broken In
Reply 2 drgrudge & sourabh

Hi mates ,

Sourabh & drgrudge --------- Yes uncle

Telling lies --------- No uncle

Click win key+R --------- Yes uncle

Type oobe/msoobe /a -------- ok uncle

What is that -------- Pirated uncle

Always telll truth -------- yes uncle

Don't imitate drgrudge & Sourabh -- yes uncle

continue ur work --------- HA HA HA Thilak

Satissh S

Youngling
unless and until we don't modify the software or do reverse engineering there is no harm in using it for educational purposes. Of course people in developing countries like india can't afford so much.
Since now i have to make my living in the aidance of my dad i have no other option but use pirated softwares. But once i finish my edu and get down to start working and earn money i'll use only original softwares!

Thilak

Broken In
reply 2 drgrudge , sourabh &grinning_devil

Satissh S said:
unless and until we don't modify the software or do reverse engineering there is no harm in using it for educational purposes. Of course people in developing countries like india can't afford so much.
Since now i have to make my living in the aidance of my dad i have no other option but use pirated softwares. But once i finish my edu and get down to start working and earn money i'll use only original softwares!

Hi mates

This is the correct answer 2 u

Thilak :twisted: :D

mario_pant

In the zone
hey..... three words....
I USE IT!!! (and will always......and some more)

Cracking and using illegal serials saves three things.....
Money, Time and Soul
another reason is that if sometimes u buy a software.... then u have to care abt a lot of things like the CD and the key and alll.
but when u download and put the serial or a crack we can uninstall it carefree.... thats my view....... no offence

pirates1323

In the zone
GOOD NEWS GUYS :

Did u know yesterday I bought Windows Server 2003 cd for just Rs.30.............. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .....its cool 8) 8) :D

Just Bring It

I have a branded system and original M$ Office and original Widows 98SE is provided with it.The other software i use is either demo,trialware or a freeware. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom