How do you manage your 'non-expandable memory' phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelzdly1

mR.coNfusEd
That time of the year has begun, you find a drool-worthy phone that fits your budget., spending your hard saved money to get that in your hands and then you see ' External memory support : No' .. dilemma whether to sacrifice the ease in carrying everything you need, everywhere or to give up and go for the other one. :(
cloud storage? heh..poor network anyone? except you in the metros. also quite costly.

How do you manage your non-expandable memory phone? break-down your memory into categories.,
express your view, so that next time, i wont hesitate in buying one.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
That time of the year has begun, you find a drool-worthy phone that fits your budget., spending your hard saved money to get that in your hands and then you see ' External memory support : No' .. dilemma whether to sacrifice the ease in carrying everything you need, everywhere or to give up and go for the other one. :(
cloud storage? heh..poor network anyone? except you in the metros. also quite costly.

How do you manage your non-expandable memory phone? break-down your memory into categories.,
express your view, so that next time, i wont hesitate in buying one.

if you can avoid it , its best to get a phone with an sd card slot
otherwise there is always otg which frankly is a pain for every day use but is a boon for DSLR users like me

amruth kiran

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them
The thing is it completely depends on the user.
I have a N4 with 16gb usable barely 12gb and its a lot for me!
My music takes up like 6gb the rest is random pics and apps.
I don't game much. Only arcade time pass stuff but I do tinker around with new Roms and such.
So unless you watch HD movies or play massive games just get a SD card suitable phone.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
8GB
no mp3 files, use 8tracks, shoutcast. had last.fm subscription, but they pulled the service from India. space is the reason didn't use flyte or itunes. I also still use dedicated mp3 player when required, more than space saving issue, it is a battery saving issue.
download games, play them, then delete them eg: Infinity Blade, Infinity Blade II, Real Racing 3, Asphalt 8 etc. Still have some large titles, Galaxy on Fire II.
same is true for other content. Podcasts, vidcasts, audiobooks, comics.... don't hoard, just consume and delete. Then re-download if required.
backup photos and videos periodically, only maintain some albums in phone everything else gets transferred to pc
rest of the critical data is synced with cloud

have about 1GB-200 mb free usually

Hrishi

I desperately wanted a m Nexus series phone but ended up buying Optimus G , which is a little better than Nexus 4.
Reason being obvious ... I cant live without External Memory Card support.
I have tonnes of photos , a huge music and media library (720p music videos and clips , FLAC or 320kbps bitrate music ) , and on top of it I have at least 5-6 HD games like NFSMW , Asphalt 8 , Strike Team , etc .
I use multiple SD cards , btw.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I too cannot live without expandable memory. I carry around some music, a lot of video content, books, click many photos / record HD videos. So I have to have spare room for content. My rule is to try and keep 50% of space free.

The problem with internal memory is that what is advertised is not what you get. My Xperia ZR is supposed to have 8GB internal memory. But out of the box only around 4.6GB is free. Then when you update all the factory installed applications' and system applications' updates sit in this free memory. Over a period they will be significant. Then although photos and videos sit on the SD card, their thumbnails sit in internal memory. In my case it is usually more than a whopping 2GB! If you use Firefox to regularly browse then its data and cache can easily cross 500MB.

So unless you can get a 32GB model it is better to have expandable memory.

Hrishi

And it is not at all okay , for having anything less than 16gigs when you have a high performance SoC and want to play lots of HD games.

Gollum

Collector
Install ES File manager and stream any content from your PC
content= audio, VIdeo, Images - no games.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
It is rumored that Android L will not support SD Card altogether. They are moving to cloud storage. I don't know, how we Indians could adopt it.

90% of my used storage is taken up by music (46%), photos(31%) and videos(33%). Rest 10% accounts for games(57%) and documents(43%). Total used storage is 51% and total capacity 30gb.
Figures brought to you by DataSense. How do I manage it?

Less stored music, more streamed audio (I use Sound Cloud, Spotify and ShoutCast Radio).
Less stored video, more YouTube. Watch movies on a god damned TV/Screen.
Cloud stored documents on OneDrive (this is not imp. with others but my docs are 4+ gb :p)
Games: play it, uninstall it (ofc games like 2048 are not an option)

Pictures, I've set the phone to sync all to OneDrive as well as when I connect it to my laptop, it just copies the large files to my documents and delete it from Phone storage.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
90% of my used storage is taken up by music (46%), photos(31%) and videos(33%). Rest 10% accounts for games(57%) and documents(43%). Total used storage is 51% and total capacity 30gb.
Figures brought to you by DataSense. How do I manage it?

Less stored music, more streamed audio (I use Sound Cloud, Spotify and ShoutCast Radio).
Less stored video, more YouTube. Watch movies on a god damned TV/Screen.
Cloud stored documents on OneDrive (this is not imp. with others but my docs are 4+ gb :p)
Games: play it, uninstall it (ofc games like 2048 are not an option)

Pictures, I've set the phone to sync all to OneDrive as well as when I connect it to my laptop, it just copies the large files to my documents and delete it from Phone storage.
What is this Datasense?

.jRay.

Youngling
G2 has 32GB, and usable ~25GB.

Most of it consumed by music, backups etc.
Free memory is around 4-6 GB
Not a problem for me.

Deadman

Journeyman
My 16gb card consists entirely of hd movies. Now whats the point of cloud storage when i can get instant access to all the content in my phone without wasting any bandwidth & battery.
Cloud storage is limited to music and docs only even if have cheap and fastest Internet.
Plus i use my phone to download torrents.dont know about other brands but Samsung phones needs expandable storage.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Now I am really laughing. Out of 4.7GB storage in my phone 2.6GB is "thumbnails"
They are really hitting my head with these nails!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom